• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

bernoulli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
VBC flannel funded.
IMG_0802.jpg IMG_0805.jpg IMG_08010.jpg

Moo Wenwu

Reaction score
Sorry, have yet another question here. I've read many threads on this, but I haven't found a good answer for my situation.

In short, does anyone have recommendations for cloth for a navy sport jacket that wears well in San Francisco-like weather? There's a fabric from Ring Jacket called "Italian Balloon" that I particularly like because of how crease-resistant/soft it is. It's a 86% wool/6% cashmere/6% silk/2% nylon blend.

Right now, I'm considering Fresco mock leno (either 510243 navy or 510244 dark navy). However, I hear Fresco is a little scratchy/hard to touch. Is there anything a bit softer and more comfortable wearing? I'm also toying around with the idea of a tougher flannel (e.g. Drago Rugby Flannel). Maybe that isn't a wise decision as this is my first proper navy sport jacket though. I've been using my navy suit's jacket as an orphan odd jacket so far (it's a high-twist fabric), so I was hoping to make this one a bit different.

Thanks all.

jupiterstyle

Reaction score
May be you can try the Holland & Sherry Airesco 4 ply 14oz, just as heavy but not as rough as the fresco mock leno

Sorry, have yet another question here. I've read many threads on this, but I haven't found a good answer for my situation.

In short, does anyone have recommendations for cloth for a navy sport jacket that wears well in San Francisco-like weather? There's a fabric from Ring Jacket called "Italian Balloon" that I particularly like because of how crease-resistant/soft it is. It's a 86% wool/6% cashmere/6% silk/2% nylon blend.

Right now, I'm considering Fresco mock leno (either 510243 navy or 510244 dark navy). However, I hear Fresco is a little scratchy/hard to touch. Is there anything a bit softer and more comfortable wearing? I'm also toying around with the idea of a tougher flannel (e.g. Drago Rugby Flannel). Maybe that isn't a wise decision as this is my first proper navy sport jacket though. I've been using my navy suit's jacket as an orphan odd jacket so far (it's a high-twist fabric), so I was hoping to make this one a bit different.

Thanks all.

yanagi

Reaction score

Thanks all.

I have a DB in the Fresco 510244. Wore it yesterday when it was in the high-60's, low-70's. It's a conservative, dark navy; and I don't think it's "scratchy/hard to touch." Definitely recommended.

Simon A

Reaction score
I have a DB in the Fresco 510244. Wore it yesterday when it was in the high-60's, low-70's. It's a conservative, dark navy; and I don't think it's "scratchy/hard to touch." Definitely recommended.
A key question is "scratchy compared to what?". Compared to many fabrics of the early 20th century, HFW Fresco and similar fabrics from other merchants are engineering miracles. Light, with good body and hold their shape well, and breathe nicely. No sign of 30 micron+ fibres which created the sensation of "prickle" in the old days. Of course you will find worsteds made from ultrafine wool with a silkier hand, or cashmere blends, but they may have tradeoffs in terms of durability and breatheability. For a jacket that will get a lot of wear, in a mild to warm climate, the Mock Leno you mention should be great. You can compare swatches from merchants like HFW, Dugdale, Smith Woollens, and figure out which you like best.

Moo Wenwu

Reaction score
Thank you all for the great perspectives. This makes me more confident about the mock leno. Between the two, I’m leaning more toward 510244, rather than 510243. Thinking the darker navy might be more versatile and better suited for my complexion (esp. with black hair).

Does anyone have pictures for comparison? Thanks!

Last edited:

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks all.
I, too, love my Fresco mock leno jacket.
My sister went to Haas so I’ve spent some time in the Bay Area. If you’re looking for just one sports coat (blazer) I’d choose something a bit more versatile as the open weave makes it a warm weather jacket only. Especially accounting for the SF wind and cool summers.

Moo Wenwu

Reaction score
I, too, love my Fresco mock leno jacket.
My sister went to Haas so I’ve spent some time in the Bay Area. If you’re looking for just one sports coat (blazer) I’d choose something a bit more versatile as the open weave makes it a warm weather jacket only. Especially accounting for the SF wind and cool summers.

Thank you for the Bay Area perspective. I'm actually a bit more south-Bay Area. It's a bit warmer down here (at least usually), so maybe the open weave is good? On the other hand, I do have (non-navy) summer sport jackets already that wear cooler. Maybe I should prioritize making this a fall/winter jacket. Some food for thought — thanks!

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the Bay Area perspective. I'm actually a bit more south-Bay Area. It's a bit warmer down here (at least usually), so maybe the open weave is good? On the other hand, I do have (non-navy) summer sport jackets already that wear cooler. Maybe I should prioritize making this a fall/winter jacket. Some food for thought — thanks!

I am going to do a special run of 400g Minnis heavy mockleno soon. Just waiting for the Rangoons to ship first. FYI.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads