1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Feb 10, 2008.

1. Slickman

Slickman Senior member

I have not tried any brisa cloths, maybe slew can comment on it. From my understanding the piuma is the same thing only lighter weight

2. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

I like the Brisa stuff. I only have the RAF POW which I haven't worn much, but I like the spongy / stretchy quality mentioned above. For me, the just adds more comfort than the Minnis. We'll see how cool it wears come the Summer! I get the impression it will do nicely.

Definitely looking forward to the Piuma! Hoping they do a light gray sometime.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  3. badsha

badsha Senior member

Are there any photos of the Brisa or Piuma? I checked London Lounge and didnt see any photos.

4. RogerC

RogerC Senior member

There should be more than enough pictures of the Brisa, on the Piuma, Alden clearly said pictures would come along soon.

Also, no longer unfunded, as off to Hong Kong tomorrow: one pair of morning trousers, one Worsted Alsport and one Riviera for the summer.

[​IMG]

5. tchoy

tchoy Senior member

6. whnay.

whnay. Senior member Dubiously Honored

What are your impressions of the fabric Choy?

7. Fishball

Fishball Senior member

Who's will be the HK tailor?

8. RogerC

RogerC Senior member

Peter Lee. I'm still quite happy with products and service.

9. badsha

badsha Senior member

10. tchoy

tchoy Senior member

Brisa is a 3 ply high twist cloth around 12-13 oz. It's similar to Minnis Fresco, both are tightly woven but Brisa has a much softer hand. It does feels lighter than the weight suggested, It drapes very well and doesn't crease easily, it's ideal travel cloth.

As Slewfoot mentioned above it's much more comfortable to wear especially when it comes to trousers. I find the Minnis trousers rather scratchy. I haven't been able to wear the Brisa suit in the Sydney summer it's just too heavy but I find with our mild climate here I managed to use it for the other 3 seasons. Hopefully the new lighter weight Piuma will be the ideal summer cloth.

2 people like this.
  11. tchoy

tchoy Senior member

[​IMG]
    H&S Crispaire

[​IMG]
    Brisa Navy

[​IMG]
    Brisa POW

[​IMG]
    Minnis Fresco

Here are a few comparison shoes of the different Frescos, hope this helps.

3 people like this.
  12. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Senior member

Believe you mean high twist rather than tightly woven since they're both obviously pretty open, breezy weaves.

13. tchoy

tchoy Senior member

Tightly woven probably is the incorrect term. What I was trying to say is the cloth is quite dense for a open weave.

I believe I got the navy Brisa from you some time ago, thanks for that it work out very well.

14. ctp120

ctp120 Senior member

Cloth experts:

Interested in the name of the weave in coat 1 and plaid pattern in coat 2. Any help is appreciated.

Sportcoat 1:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sportcoat 2:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks.

15. mactire

mactire Senior member

16. ctp120

ctp120 Senior member

Thanks.

#1 is definitely not a herringbone. Doesn't look like any donegal I've ever seen either, especially in texture, though I've never heard of a barley-corn donegal, so perhaps I'm only familiar with more common versions of donegals.

#2 is obviously a check with a windowpane over it, but I wonder if this version has a particular name. I'm tempted to call it a gun club, but not sure if the check itself needs to be multicolored to qualify.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  17. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

Thought I'd share this: I've been corresponding with someone who reads my blog. I'm not sure of his background, but I believe he's a tailor. He certainly knows a lot about the trade.

Anyway, we were talking about various shirting issues yesterday and he confirmed that sometimes - depending on who you get your shirting from and where you take it to be made up - you may want to preshrink your fabrics. His instructions:

Thought it that might be helpful given people's earlier discussions on this topic.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
    3 people like this.
  18. mactire

mactire Senior member

Grand so, barleycorn Donegals aren't seen often these days but they do exist, the LL had one made by Molloy & Sons in Donegal. There are also pinstripes, houndstooths [houndsteeth?] checks and windowpanes made at various points.

Can't help you with the name of the second one I too thought it had to be a small multicoloured check to be a gun club, but names differ greatly from place to place anyway.

19. Straits FC

Straits FC New Member

Has anyone had a suit made using the Harrisons Firefly range?Would really appreciate some pictures of it made up.

20. RogerC

RogerC Senior member

It actually looks more like a Russian twill than a barleycorn (although this is hard to identify without a close-up). They are not much different: Russian twill is the middle between barleycorn and herringbone.