1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Feb 10, 2008.

1. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

what really is the point in buying all this fabric?

Well, on the one hand I agree with you. It is a lot of cloth, and it will take eons to make.

I do sometimes save a bit of money, though not a lot. The real reason I bought nearly every piece because it was something I wanted to have, and had never seen it in the books. Every piece up there is, if not necessarily unique, at least rare in some way or other.

2. Grammaton Cleric

Grammaton Cleric Senior member

Well, on the one hand I agree with you. It is a lot cloth, and it will take eons to make.

I do sometimes save a bit of money, though not a lot. The real reason I bought nearly every piece because it was something I wanted to have, and had never seen it in the books. Every piece up there is, if not necessarily unique, at least rare in some way or other.

Gotcha. Some of the pics looked standard to me but, then again, a computer monitor often does not show all.

3. Manton

Donkey flannel: totally unique color, not in any current books.

Dove gray w/f: if not unique, then at least the best of its kind I have seen. And I don't know that it is available in any current book.

Blue triple check: a one-off exclusive.

Charcoal chalk: common enough, but I got a good deal on that and succumbed. Plus it's made by a mill I like that does not sell much over here.

Brown plaid w/blue: probably still available, but it's from a book that is running out and that I know will not be remade.

Brown plaid w/red: one-off exclusive.

Brown 3x3 worsted: totally unique.

The three sharks: I could get something like them from the books, but the light one is better than other light sharks I have seen, and the darker ones are just killer quality.

The blue w/royal nailhead and silk: totally unique.

The gab: English gab is getting harder to find; the Italians have taken it over. Plus, Burma shade is something I had thought was all in the past until I found that.

Triple dot nailhead: I've seen that pattern, and that color, but never together in one cloth.

Nailhead fresco: the only ones I know in current books are in Crispaire, and I don't like that book.

The tan 3x3 window: totally unique.

The mohairs: all rare and all gone.

First linen: I've seen tan, and I've seen cream, but not this. This I like better.

Ditto on the blue: it's not quite so dark as a true navy. I think linen is better in this color.

The olive I could have gotten anywhere, but that was cheap for good linen.

And the gray -- I don't know where to get that. Not in the three good linen books: H&S, Drapers, or W. Bill.

And, finally, some day the makers of all this kind of stiff are going to go out of business. No joke. When that happens, I will be glad I have this stuff.

4. unpainted huffheinz

unpainted huffheinz Senior member

Are you finding all of these in NYC (Tip Top, etc) or through traveling? I am guessing none of them are ordered online.

5. Manton

Most through Tip Top. They comb through European closeouts so I don't have to!

6. Roger

Roger Senior member

I sure wish Tip Top offered an online, or distance, service. I fully realize that it's always best to handle the fabric and see it in the flesh, but here in Vancouver, about all I can do is look through the books and order either in connection with a suit, jacket, or trousers project or at a helluva premium to get just the fabric.

7. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Senior member

And, finally, some day the makers of all this kind of stiff are going to go out of business. No joke. When that happens, I will be glad I have this stuff.

Damn, dude: you're depressing me.

- B

8. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Senior member

This is a great thread. Thanks for posting the pictures and commentary.

9. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

That 3x3 dull tan is amazing!!

+1. I like the grey flannels, too. I hope there will be future assets to fulfill a few of these promised benefits!

Side note: What is the difference between woolen and worsted flannels? I think the woolens are not combed, but how does that translate in feel or drape?

10. Manton

Worsted flannel wears a little better, and holds a crease a little longer. It also won't "bag" like woolen flannel tends to do with repeated wearings.

That said, woolen flannel typically has more character and is more interesting, in my opinion.

11. Alias

Alias Senior member

Cloth is so easy to hoard but so hard to use [​IMG] I have a bunch of it and I've been telling myself I'd use it all one day.

12. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

This is a habit I definitely do not need to acquire. I'm almost relieved that I wouldn't know what to do with these lengths of cloth even if I had them. I have a feeling that finding out would be hazardous to my health.

13. Manton

Happily, it is a habit that I believe I have broken ... for now.

14. Moss

Moss Senior member

Manton,

Beautiful cloth. Thanks for sharing.

What's the wearable season range on that Kevlar?

15. Eustace Tilley

Eustace Tilley Senior member

manton: how often do you get to wear the 12-14oz. cloth in New York? I would imagine that's very much a 4 month weight for NYC.

16. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

And, as I recall, you do own one of those.

More than one, I think. And many others that are not illustrated. But do as I say, not as I do. Get help.

17. Manton

What's the wearable season range on that Kevlar?

For me it would be spring/fall.

manton: how often do you get to wear the 12-14oz. cloth in New York? I would imagine that's very much a 4 month weight for NYC.
    Yeah, 3-4 months. Five in a cold winter.

18. Mildly Consumptive

Mildly Consumptive Senior member

Oh my this is a swell thread. Finally, a good cover term for this problem. Can anyone post their unfunded liabilities in this thread? I feel like I have 4 to 8 years worth of liabilities sitting on my mantle.

19. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

Brown plaid w/blue: probably still available, but it's from a book that is running out and that I know will not be remade.

Whodunnit? I like very much.

20. Master Shake

Master Shake Senior member

I fortunately don't have that many unfunded liabilities (great term), but I am expecting several more from London Lounge commissions. I'll try to post photos sometime soon.