• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

heldentenor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@dieworkwear any herringbone tweeds that you think have an appropriate scale? I know there was a discussion of old LL tweed, but it seems that is no longer production and it seems that all the major books are pretty similar at least according to digital images on their website

Also, @jonathanS the Armoury image below is where i got the idea for the charcoal separates (although the jacket in the image seems to have a slightly different texture).

Jonathan is wearing a green donegal in that pic. Still endorse the grey herringbone check, but having had three different iterations of it and rejected all of them, the scale should be big and the cloth darker than you think you need.

heldentenor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm planning to get a grey Donegal suit this year, which will probably be worn as separates. I think a grey herringbone is fine, although it's hard to find one that has a nice scale to the pattern.

You can wear grey tweed jackets with tan cav twill, brown whipcord, and blue jeans.

View attachment 1335353

What cloth for the suit, Derek? I've long thought grey donegal tweed-ish is even better than brown for a casual but awesome suit.

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used to agree about grey jackets, though I have recently made a couple for guys who wear them a lot with jeans and it makes sense. Its hard to wear a navy jacket with dark denim and grey is easy to pair. I am getting more comfortable with this lately.

I believe a grey herringbone jacket is actually more versatile for FW than a navy sport coat because it works better with jeans. I have a couple blue to navy coats that work SS or SSF, but I haven't been compelled to get something FW appropriate

Edit versus adding another reply - I think a grey donegal suit is risky if the plan is to primarily wear it as separates. I fear you will find it just resolves to too solid of a grey for the coat to have much utility on its own. Blue,brown or green donegals probably have more utility as separates, but I am also sympathetic that a green or brown donegal suit is a bit of a statement piece versus fading into the background...

Last edited:

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Attachments

• CA297DE1-8966-46BF-B233-9443E26B7802.jpeg
    CA297DE1-8966-46BF-B233-9443E26B7802.jpeg
    243.4 KB · Views: 77

zr3rs

Reaction score
Charcoal Flannel - haven't felt it yet, but really like look the Fox Bros classic charcoal woollen flannel. Are there any more moderately priced English flannel alternatives in the 13/14oz range I should consider?

I cannot imagine charcoal flannel being worn as separate. But I can highly recommend the Fox classic herringbone https://www.themerchantfox.co.uk/co...products/400g-fox-flannel-classic-herringbone
As a separate, I would probably look for a bit larger pattern, but it drapes great (I have it as trousers) and it is soft, if you prefer flannel.

I have tried the Slate grey gunclub check as an odd jacket and was not convinced by most of the combinations (did not try it with denim). I added the matching trousers and it makes an absolutely great suit.

I can also recommend SherryTweed, its advantage is the lighter weight compared to the Harris, and so far it has held up very well, but can be worn even into summer.

zr3rs

Reaction score
If anyone is interested in a 2,5m length of the new Fox tweed, let me know. It is blue/tan, but resolves to a gray in the distance. Should pair well with denim. I actually found it a little bit too soft for a tweed.
DSCF6062.jpg

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What cloth for the suit, Derek? I've long thought grey donegal tweed-ish is even better than brown for a casual but awesome suit.

Actually hoping to score a length of vintage Donegal from a store in Palermo. I don't know the original mill, unfortunately. Peter can be seen wearing the same fabric here. I saw the fabric in real life and thought it did well as a sport coat, but will get a full suit just for kicks.

reidd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're going to do grey odd jacket, I agree larger scale pattern and more textured (or donegal) yarn = better. Can't imagine plain or even small scale herringbone flannel working that well. I've seen others wear it OK but it doesn't do much for me.

I also must disagree about navy blazers and blue jeans. I personally love this look both with smoother and more textured blazer cloths, either with dark blue or faded denim. Blue on blue is just so much more forgiving than a grey jacket on anything.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads