• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ditto^^ they are all variants of twill weaves, some more pronounced, some more smooth...but essentially twills. There's venetian twills, herringbone (technically a twill i think) and baratheas (whichs is a hopsack twill)

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently recieved a swatch of Holland and Sherry Cape Horn Classics serge and a H&S Darkota Whipchord and it is definitely more textured than my navy twill VBC suit.

I don't know anything about the technical aspects of fabric (warp and weft or X x Y weaves) but from an aesthetic perspective it seems that twill is the least textured, serge is medium, whipchord is medium-high, and calvary twill is high

I'll see if i can snag an up close comparison photo this weekend

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Who was that guy years ago that made a huge stink about a guy getting a suit in navy hopsack? He said that hopsack was for garbage men and to get it in navy was some kind of heresy? Was probably Film Noir Buff, but I could be wrong.

DavidLane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
curious to hear where twill fits into the spectrum...

Twill can be both warm and cool wearing. If it is a brushed finish twill, think flannel shirt, it will wear warm. If it is a hard finish twill, think cavalry/whipcord twill it will wear cooler. This is also subject to the tightness of the weave and weight.

DL-

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Who was that guy years ago that made a huge stink about a guy getting a suit in navy hopsack? He said that hopsack was for garbage men and to get it in navy was some kind of heresy? Was probably Film Noir Buff, but I could be wrong.
its filmnoirbuff...he said it makes u look like a sanitation worker

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently recieved a swatch of Holland and Sherry Cape Horn Classics serge and a H&S Darkota Whipchord and it is definitely more textured than my navy twill VBC suit.

I don't know anything about the technical aspects of fabric (warp and weft or X x Y weaves) but from an aesthetic perspective it seems that twill is the least textured, serge is medium, whipchord is medium-high, and calvary twill is high

I'll see if i can snag an up close comparison photo this weekend
Ditto on this...I personally would put serge above whipcord and cavalry twill has wider spaced twills

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Twill can be both warm and cool wearing. If it is a brushed finish twill, think flannel shirt, it will wear warm. If it is a hard finish twill, think cavalry/whipcord twill it will wear cooler. This is also subject to the tightness of the weave and weight.

DL-

Thanks, I recently commissioned a 370g twill suit (definitely hard finish) wanting to try something a bit heavier for the drape and longevity and was actually surprised at how light it was when i tried it on at the basted fitting, i was definitely imaging something with a bit more heft. I was originally planning on it being a fall through spring suit, but its good to hear that it will wear cool...I think i could probably use it on all but the hottest of summer days in the greater Northeast

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ditto on this...I personally would put serge above whipcord and cavalry twill has wider spaced twills

I dunno if the Cape Horn Classics is technically a serge or just serge-like... @Despos provided it as a recommendation a while ago for a blazer and provided this pic, which is pretty representative of the sample i got.

Attachments

• DESPOS classic blazer fabric rec.jpg
    DESPOS classic blazer fabric rec.jpg
    239.1 KB · Views: 126

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I remember that vaguely, owing only to the garbage man reference. I have still yet to see a garbage man in a hopsack suit, though I am not in NYC or another major market...

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
serge is woven using a worsted warp and a woollen weft. Creates the distinct texture.

A "Prunelle weave" gives cloth a twill appearance but isn't a twill.

Slight variations of weaving and yarn structure define the differences.
Hopsack is a plain weave, difference is that it is two yarns woven over two yarns. Plan weave is one over one.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tweedy bag