• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
In an ideal world, you'd keep the wrinkles to get maximum mobility, but stuff them under your arm where nobody could see them. I don't know if there is some alchemy that will accomplish that task here.

Alan Bee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
31491CFF-91C3-4666-9162-A54741BBE27E.jpeg
4EACD1E9-FE88-46FF-B569-2E85222C689D.jpeg
1BA087D4-6AB1-46DC-A57F-8D4B4CDE1AFE.jpeg
In an ideal world, you'd keep the wrinkles to get maximum mobility, but stuff them under your arm where nobody could see them. I don't know if there is some alchemy that will accomplish that task here.

@Concordia

Thanks for prompt response. So leave the folds as is and hope for the best after steaming the garments?

The front of the coat yielded desired result. Less suppression and more relaxed look. But I’m a bit irked by the folds in the back having been accustomed to a clean back.

Alan Bee

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't know if steaming or proper pressing will fix it.

There might need to be some rearrangement on the shoulder seams, for all I know.

If you trust your tailor, you could ask him.

Alan Bee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know if steaming or proper pressing will fix it.

There might need to be some rearrangement on the shoulder seams, for all I know.

If you trust your tailor, you could ask him.

Thanks @Concordia

The shipping back and forth to Italy gets wearying and I'm trying to avoid another round of it if I can. He's happy to take some fabric out of the back but warns that I'd lose some freedom and room in the back of the coat.

FYI , the garments haven't been pressed properly or steamed. Just out of the shipping box.

Alan Bee

Alan Bee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On some of the spongier fabrics, it’s not as noticeable. Both Smith Lamlana. Previous fabrics are lighter (Lesser 8/9) and Barbera for Lesser tropical wool.

Alan Bee
120E0DAF-5E6E-41BD-AEA0-D4674154DE3F.jpeg
853FA7DB-620F-4722-9824-5459C8DADFD5.jpeg
836263F5-5CA9-4EA1-828F-66BD32466223.jpeg
C395B054-577C-4973-8E7E-91E2AFCDBC92.jpeg

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks @Concordia

The shipping back and forth to Italy gets wearying and I'm trying to avoid another round of it if I can. He's happy to take some fabric out of the back but warns that I'd lose some freedom and room in the back of the coat.

FYI , the garments haven't been pressed properly or steamed. Just out of the shipping box.

Alan Bee

On some of the spongier fabrics, it’s not as noticeable. Both Smith Lamlana. Previous fabrics are lighter (Lesser 8/9) and Barbera for Lesser tropical wool.

Alan Bee View attachment 927126 View attachment 927127 View attachment 927128 View attachment 927129

Just wear the jackets and see how they break in.

WillingToLearn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's fine. Don't join or subscribe to the cloths. No worries.

Thanks, I don't and I won't, but I will continue to comment, both positively and negatively, on cloth posted here, especially by those posting with commercial interests.

Bespoke DJP

Reaction score
Dear @Alan Bee,

As we all know, a lot of things/situations in life incorporate a trade-off; I can understand your aim but to my eyes the "new" back is plain wrong, does not do justice to a bespoke garment.

Of course, I am no tailor I am just enjoying - as a customer - the sartorial journey for the past 18 years now.

Best,

Dimitris

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks @Concordia

Alan Bee
Having the jackets pressed properly does make a difference. My own experience bears this out. My advice would be to have them pressed and, as Lord Superb advises, wear them for a little while and see how they settle in.

Frankly, though, I don't think the backs are going to look as clean as you are used to.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I don't and I won't, but I will continue to comment, both positively and negatively, on cloth posted here, especially by those posting with commercial interests.
Wouldn't have it any other way. Who posts with commercial interests?

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Having the jackets pressed properly does make a difference. My own experience bears this out. My advice would be to have them pressed and, as Lord Superb advises, wear them for a little while and see how they settle in.

Frankly, though, I don't think the backs are going to look as clean as you are used to.
This. I always err on the side of comfort, though, so I end up with a few wrinkles in the back near the blades. Also, more fabric out of the sleevehead made a huge difference in mobility for me.

Alan Bee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dear @Alan Bee,

As we all know, a lot of things/situations in life incorporate a trade-off; I can understand your aim but to my eyes the "new" back is plain wrong, does not do justice to a bespoke garment.

Of course, I am no tailor I am just enjoying - as a customer - the sartorial journey for the past 18 years now.

Best,

Dimitris

Thanks Dimitris. They definitely feel more comfortable and roomier than the last cut. But yes, the vertical wrinkles itch my eyes.

Let’s see what happens after a good press.

Alan Bee

Alan Bee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Isn't essentially back drape?

View attachment 927202
Looks very nice.

One option could be letting out the waist so the drop from upper back to waist isn’t as severe and making it more uniform. But again, I’d be swimming in the waist. Large drop tailoring problems ...

What’s your view @dieworkwear ?

The jacket above has less suppression than mine.

AB

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads