• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SartodiNapoli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am sad to annouce the owner of Albini Group ( Thomas Mason etc.) has passed away today. RIP.

Con profondo dolore annunciamo l’improvvisa scomparsa di Silvio Albini, 61 anni, Presidente del Cotonificio Albini.
In questo triste momento siamo più che mai vicini alla famiglia, a cui porgiamo le nostre più sentite condoglianze.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 912842 View attachment 912843

Interesting observation Dimitris. Here’s a pic of a garment at forward fitting now finished and delivered.

W. Bill Lamlana cloth in light beige. Playing around with ideas and wanted to make a dressy spring evening sport jacket with a shawl lapel.

I got this idea from a fellow here who had same cloth made up in peak lapel S/C but the cloth is just so beautiful and dressy I thought it’d make an elegant (non-formal) dinner jacket.

Alan Bee

:eek: You're having this made and worried about a checked flannel suit standing out.

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone tried the blue tweed jacket with navy trousers look?

Alan Bee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
:eek: You're having this made and worried about a checked flannel suit standing out.

Indeed LS.

I'm rather tentative with bold patterns. Small Checks, Gun Checks & Plaids, sure. But bold checks particularly in suitings, I've yet to get my head around. I tend to avoid anything that exaggerates my physique hence a tendency towards textured solids.

Alan Bee

S K M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, saw the photos and discussion of Harrison's Spring Ram revently, and I'm really considering having a DB made up during my nwxt trip to Naples. But just to make sure: it's open weave Fresco style, right? Will be using it for summer so quite important.

Cheers,
SKM

Alan Bee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, saw the photos and discussion of Harrison's Spring Ram revently, and I'm really considering having a DB made up during my nwxt trip to Naples. But just to make sure: it's open weave Fresco style, right? Will be using it for summer so quite important.

Cheers,
SKM
Hi SKM,

SpringRam is indeed a fantastic fabric with a price to match. I was initially hesitant thumbing through the swatch but just had a mid-gray 2pc business suit (simple 2 button, besom pockets) delivered and it is exceptional, simply stunning. Hard to describe how the body holds when fully tailored.

I have an older H&S Crispaire suit (another Fresco) which appears almost lifeless placed against the SpringRam. I also simultaneously had a 2pc suit made up in Smith Finmeresco in Steel Blue (blue gray shade) for comparison and while its a very nice fabric, has nowhere the depth and complexity of SpringRam.

The SpringRam is so deep and rich you can almost see the yarns in the fabric in motion while you move with the garment. To my mind, the grays are the only color I would consider in this book owing perhaps to the mixing of the black and white yarns. Every other color in the book looks too "dead" and simple.

I am right contemplating the lightest (dove) gray for a more casual suit with double stitching and patch pockets.

As to how it wears, it is listed at 13oz and it feels every ounce a 13. Clearly the weave is very porous when held against light but it isn't a lightweight suit by any standard. Having it made up in D/B (which I considered and dismissed) perhaps compounds this. Perhaps a late spring/early summer suiting - but a fantastic one.

Alan Bee

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Indeed LS.

I'm rather tentative with bold patterns. Small Checks, Gun Checks & Plaids, sure. But bold checks particularly in suitings, I've yet to get my head around. I tend to avoid anything that exaggerates my physique hence a tendency towards textured solids.

Alan Bee

Not the biggest fan of flannel suits. They run hot. I'd stick with solids if you don't want to exaggerate your physique......

I occasionally wear this from time to time.

900x900px-LL-b1eff773_900x900px-LL-64ad7d59_image.jpeg

Alan Bee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not the biggest fan of flannel suits. They run hot. I'd stick with solids if you don't want to exaggerate your physique......

I occasionally wear this from time to time.

For those in warmer climes, I agree flannel is impractical for most of the year. But I consider neither myself nor any of you gentlemen on this thread a pragmatist. You get to a point where you've crossed the "point of no return" and it becomes more about form than function :)

Re: Your Windowpane suit. Subtle as it is, I doubt I'd be able to get away with even that. I think I'll pass on the windowpane idea for now. For my next project, I may settle on a B/W (without the blue overcheck) PoW flannel - 3pc Peak Lapel Coat with two buttons and besom pockets, simple single breasted vest, as a substitute

Last edited:

S K M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi SKM,

SpringRam is indeed a fantastic fabric with a price to match. I was initially hesitant thumbing through the swatch but just had a mid-gray 2pc business suit (simple 2 button, besom pockets) delivered and it is exceptional, simply stunning. Hard to describe how the body holds when fully tailored.

I have an older H&S Crispaire suit (another Fresco) which appears almost lifeless placed against the SpringRam. I also simultaneously had a 2pc suit made up in Smith Finmeresco in Steel Blue (blue gray shade) for comparison and while its a very nice fabric, has nowhere the depth and complexity of SpringRam.

The SpringRam is so deep and rich you can almost see the yarns in the fabric in motion while you move with the garment. To my mind, the grays are the only color I would consider in this book owing perhaps to the mixing of the black and white yarns. Every other color in the book looks too "dead" and simple.

I am right contemplating the lightest (dove) gray for a more casual suit with double stitching and patch pockets.

As to how it wears, it is listed at 13oz and it feels every ounce a 13. Clearly the weave is very porous when held against light but it isn't a lightweight suit by any standard. Having it made up in D/B (which I considered and dismissed) perhaps compounds this. Perhaps a late spring/early summer suiting - but a fantastic one.

Alan Bee

Thanks a lot, I'll definitely go for it then, and grey was what I had in mind anyway. I guess a DB version should be okay if I go for half lining.

Thanks for your input!

WillingToLearn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads