• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nvm. Thanks for clarifying. Though I'll admit I'm suspicious that a worsted yarn is absolutely necessary to create that specific weave.

Last edited:

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
May I inquire as to why

I think I bitched about the price of one the subscriptions on this thread, and told another member he can find most of the commissions in other fabric books. A few weeks later my password didn't work. That's all that comes to mind right now. That stuff is expensive and heavy!

Last edited:

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Honestly, can you guys explain what you mean?

Jacket fronts never cover the crotch (open quarters) so what are we talking about here? (go ahead, I'm a grown-up, I can hear it)

I think some people don't use the thumb as a point of reference. Some people like the jacket to be tad bit longer, past their crotch I guess.

1eec6317_image.jpg
IMG_7205.jpg

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see. It sounds like a different way to say "cover the seat". Unless I'm missing something about human anatomy, that's the same level...

WillingToLearn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
May I inquire as to why

I think I bitched about the price of one the subscriptions on this thread, and told another member he can find most of the commissions in other fabric books. A few weeks later my password didn't work. That's all that comes to mind right now. That stuff is expensive and heavy!

They also seemed to be running out of good ideas. Have you ever signed up for that site? I found my self selling off a lot of the subscriptions, and I'm still stuck with a hopsack suit :(. Maybe its for the best i got blocked.

@lordsuperb - looking good. btw - current LL summer/spring subscription has the city tweed in a summer weight.

nice builtins as well.

Has there been any subscriptions worthwhile in the past year?

mactire

Reaction score
What is a crotch knuckle? :uhoh:

For the sake of clarity (instead of lols) this was a term coined some pages back by lordsuperb or maybe jrd during a discussion on jacket length. Basically a rule of thumb I'd heard was that the jacket should be about as long as your knuckles with arms at rest by your sides.

The point made by others was that the length should be sufficient for the hem to to be lower than the fork/crotch of ones trousers.

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For the sake of clarity (instead of lols) this was a term coined some pages back by lordsuperb or maybe jrd during a discussion on jacket length. Basically a rule of thumb I'd heard was that the jacket should be about as long as your knuckles with arms at rest by your sides.

The point made by others was that the length should be sufficient for the hem to to be lower than the fork/crotch of ones trousers.

Learnt something new today

aristoi bcn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Suggestions of black&white (or even navy&white) houndstooth wool/wool blend/cashmere jacketing?

At the moment I've found this from HFW Worsted Alsport, but I prefer something softer.

520092.jpg

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone seen this HFW Portofino VII No. 320600 made up as a jacket yet? Looks very promising!

320600.jpg

We have taken to calling this cloth the Gulf Racing jacket. The picture you have posted does no justice to this swatch in person and there should be a jacket to share with you all in the next few months. I have a friend who is waiting to pull the trigger as other items clear the queue.

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone ever use the Hield Brothers 1563 Vintage navy flannel? I'm getting a sixth suit made and I'm missing a flannel from my wardrobe :/

aristoi bcn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is any source of John Hardy/Minnis Lambswool range?

Manton said once this cloth is like cashmere with guts and this sounds good.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads