Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Feb 10, 2008.

1. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

What is a crotch knuckle? :uhoh:

2. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

I am certain that a quick google search could provide you with the answer that you seek.

3. mactire

mactire Senior member

:crackup:

4. ericgereghty

ericgereghty Senior member

As Greg ostensibly has no HR to worry about, those who do would be advised NOT to google that on a work computer lol

5. dan'l

dan'l Senior member

I asked a while ago for gray suiting fabric recommendations. Quite tough to filter through everything, but I thought a cloth with some texture would be a bit more interesting and narrowed my choices down somewhat:

SW5843.JPG

Would you guys consider the SW5843 above a nailhead pattern? Is this acceptable for CBD?

SW5806.JPG

I also like the SW5806 and was inspired by following post from @Mr. Six :

https://www.styleforum.net/threads/...the-cloth-thread.56404/page-1187#post-8438153

Which would you guys choose and why?

6. bdavro23

bdavro23 Senior member

I am not a big fan of either of these fabrics. I get the preference for texture, but I would personally opt for a solid grey with a bit of variegation to it rather than a pattern or weave. Unless of course you have a very mature wardrobe with a couple of grey suits already and are just looking for some variety. In that case, I guess I would pick the nailhead over the herringbone. Best of luck in your serach...

7. agent.5

agent.5 Well-Known Member

I think SW5843 is a birdseye. Birdseye has round dots, nailhead has square dots. Personally, I like birdseye a lot. If the dots are small, the cloth looks to be flat color, patten-less from a couple meters away. Then, the two tone pattern appears, if you are closer.

I suggest that you order samples of both, bring them outside to see them under natural light, and then bring them to Neiman Marcus, or other stores selling expensive suits, put the samples on some suits, and decide which fabric you like best.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017 at 1:48 PM

8. dan'l

dan'l Senior member

Thanks for the feedback. I have lots of sport coats and wear them 95% of the time. I only have two suits, one in a worsted navy and the other in a blue fresco and so wanted to add a gray one. I see myself wearing it only a few times a year, though.

I find it is very difficult to decide on a nice solid shade of gray for a suit. It was much easier when I picked out the navy worsted, for some reason. I also considered a gray flannel suit, but thought I should start with something else instead.

9. dan'l

dan'l Senior member

The pics I posted above are of the samples I received. But yes, very important to check them under natural light.

10. bdavro23

bdavro23 Senior member

https://shop.hfwltd.com/collection/31
    0755 and 0756 are very nice and this is one of my favorite books around. Plenty of options out there for a great mid grey fabric.

11. dan'l

dan'l Senior member

I also have some similar samples from H. Lesser and will take another look at them. Your earlier comments made me reconsider a bit my original choices.

12. Mr. Six

Mr. Six Senior member

Both look nice. Obviously, I like 5806, but not everyone loves herringbone suits (or thinks that they're better at larger scale for more casual ones). Since this would be your first grey suit, I think 5843 would be better. And I don't think that there would be anything wrong with it being your only grey suit. But I also might suggest looking for a sharkskin or plain worsted in the Blue Riband book, if you wear suits in a fairly conservative environment. If it's not that conservative then go for 5843. I do think that the Blue Riband book fabrics are really nice at that weight, so you won't be disappointed with any of them from a performance and comfort standpoint.

13. dan'l

dan'l Senior member

Thanks, Six. I also requested some the plain worsted swatches from the Blue Riband book. As you wrote, it is a good weight, so that was why I was drawn to them.

Doesn't sharkskin generally contain mohair? I did consider it, but so far no experience with mohair and therefore wasn't sure how I would like it.

14. Mr. Six

Mr. Six Senior member

Sharkskin is just a weave. It can have any content that a mill can make in that weave. If there's one in the Riband book--and there probably is--I would assume it's all wool.