• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

xizenta

Reaction score

I realize it isn't the same cloth but have you looked at the Hartwist 32102? Similar colors / scale from what I can tell.

No way those are similar scale. The one you posted looks much smaller.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Bill Dlwgosh

Reaction score
I just discovered Sultan's Fabrics ( http://www.sultansfinefabrics.com/ ) here in Toronto. Aside from being able to order from the major books (I saw books and/or product from H&S, LP, Scabal and Dormueil, etc ) when I did my first dry run at the store today) there is a lot of stuff already in their racks and the 10 OZ. Cashmere and 11 OZ Merino Wool below caught my eye. The particular mills aren't mentioned in the listing I took these pics from. I just know the stuff is Italian.

Anyway, I thought I'd post these for your consideration and see if there's any feedback as I get set to transition from OTR for sport coats to using a local tailor.

xizenta

Reaction score

I just discovered Sultan's Fabrics ( http://www.sultansfinefabrics.com/ ) here in Toronto. Aside from being able to order from the major books (I saw books and/or product from H&S, LP, Scabal and Dormueil, etc ) when I did my first dry run at the store today) there is a lot of stuff already in their racks and the 10 OZ. Cashmere and 11 OZ Merino Wool below caught my eye. The particular mills aren't mentioned in the listing I took these pics from. I just know the stuff is Italian.

Anyway, I thought I'd post these for your consideration and see if there's any feedback as I get set to transition from OTR for sport coats to using a local tailor.

I have never ordered from them, but I was browsing their website a few months back and really liked this:

http://www.sultansfinefabrics.com/products/forest-green-with-purple-lilac-overchecked-wool-cashmere

:nodding:

Last edited:

Bill Dlwgosh

Reaction score
Are you in Toronto/GTA? It's nice to have found a place where the actual fabric is on hand either in books or on bolts as opposedonline pics. Of course it'll also be nice to avoid shipping and exchange rates if I do end up making purchases.

xizenta

Reaction score

Are you in Toronto/GTA? It's nice to have found a place where the actual fabric is on hand either in books or on bolts as opposedonline pics. Of course it'll also be nice to avoid shipping and exchange rates if I do end up making purchases.

No I'm not. I'm in California. If you ever stop by again and think of me though, snap a photo of the cloth and do give me your impressions! :)

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Gents, I'm looking for fabric for a casual navy blazer/odd jacket. I would like some interest to the weave like a hopsack or a very pronounced serge. I hope to find something very versatile (maybe like the LL ultimate blazer fabric) and in approximately the same shade and depth of colour like the Minnis 520 fresco. Any recommendations? :)

I have a Harrisons Oyster hopsack suit that I like. Often use the jacket as a sport coat. Also have a wool-cashmere blend hopsack from Caccioppoli. It's OK, but a bit fragile. Don't think I would advise against it, but I also wouldn't recommend it.

S K M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

There's an interesting-looking hopsack in the new Barbera for Lesser collection that I'd like to see more of.

I have a lighter-than-navy hopsack from Drapers and a true navy hopsack from Caccioppoli. Both are great.

Thanks a lot to both, will check it out. However, I'm a bit concerned with the weight of the Barbera for Lesser, but will have to see it IRL.

I have a Harrisons Oyster hopsack suit that I like. Often use the jacket as a sport coat. Also have a wool-cashmere blend hopsack from Caccioppoli. It's OK, but a bit fragile. Don't think I would advise against it, but I also wouldn't recommend it.

Thanks a lot, the Harrison Oyster could be just what I was looking for, as I'm looking for something versatile and sturdy. Initially I was looking for something both soft and sturdy, which is why I was interested in the previous LL offering in angora/lambswool, but the very dark navy made it a no go for this. If there was interest we could of course produce something similar in the tones of Minnis 520, but I guess fabric for a navy blazer will be a hard sell…

Cheers,
SKM

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
X-post from the A&S Expats thread. Just ordered a SC from Steed in bamboo from the Portofino IV book. Pretty excited to see how it comes out, as the cloth was highly recommended by Matthew.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
X-post from the A&S Expats thread. Just ordered a SC from Steed in bamboo from the Portofino IV book. Pretty excited to see how it comes out, as the cloth was highly recommended by Matthew.

Really interested in how this comes out as the Bamboo form that book has been on my list for a while. Looking forward to seeing the results and your impressions.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads