• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"uneducated and uninformed"

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by metroman
Reminds me of a time I went to a Waffle House in Arlington Texas.

I sat down on those spinning round padded bar stools and noticed the waitress was very sexy!

I always smiled at her and she liked my attention.

Then a Pink caddy rode on in and parked and a very old man like 78 years old got old wearing a
Texan cowboy gettup but in all pink wearing pink shades patent leather boots walked in.

He sat down and noticed she and I smiling at each other. He interuuped us by anouncing his name was Pinky and his friends call him PINKY and that the waitress was "HIS"

I wanted to fall down and laugh in tears but he was so serious! I went home and told my step father who was about the same age as pinky and he laughed his arse off and wanted to go there and see him and sure enough for dinner pinky was there and the two of us laughing got the entire place laughing and Pinky stormed outa there in a hurry.

Ha! stupid ole pinky........... looking at life though rose colored glasses in real life HAHAHAHA
rimshot.gif
tounge.gif

Which one in Arlington I might hop down there one day and see if I can see Pinky. He sounds like a bad character from a ZZ-Top video

The uniform is business casual where I work. People wear tube socks with their "dress" shoes which by their definition is a crappy skecher sport shoe.

I plain captoe shoes my first day and someone said to me, " You know it's only business casual right?" The only thing I could think of was I do, do you? Can't wait to see the reaction when I wear a blazer, as someone mentioned above people will probablly wonder why I'm wearing a suit.

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is a really good thread. It would be even better, I think, if everyone who contributes were to include his response to the clueless question or comment he received. I'd especially like to hear "wish I'd said..." ideas.

adamsnez

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Threadbearer
This is a really good thread. It would be even better, I think, if everyone who contributes were to include his response to the clueless question or comment he received. I'd especially like to hear "wish I'd said..." ideas.
i think my reply of "ya but you wear ecko jeans
cry.gif
" was a pretty good on-the-spot remark.
although by the way he carries himself and dresses, probably thought i was praising him.
D'oh
frown.gif

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This question recently came up on the other side. One of the suggested answers I liked best was:

"I thought there would be important people here!"

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I usually get the "why are you so dressed up?" question when going out with some friends. It's almost always from the most style deprived members of the group (i.e. Ironic t-shirt, baggy jeans, Air Jordans...). I even get that question when I just wear some nice fitting Levi's, a button down shirt and burgundy wingtips...
eh.gif

I usually reply "Why do you look like a college freshman? We're graduates, in the professional world and should act/dress a little better than we did 5-6 years ago..." or I'll respond with "because I like it and look better than you guys!"
laugh.gif

I'll sometimes respond with a general "I like it and think it looks great on me".

A Canuker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use to get slammed in the office here for squares but over the years it has now become that if I forget or am rushed in the morning I get questioned about it. Times do chance.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flambeur
Once a chick in a frat boy sports bar commented on my white linen pocket square: "why are you wearing a hankey?"

What else is that pocket for?

That usually quiets them down.
smile.gif

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian
I usually get the "why are you so dressed up?" question when going out with some friends. It's almost always from the most style deprived members of the group (i.e. Ironic t-shirt, baggy jeans, Air Jordans...). I even get that question when I just wear some nice fitting Levi's, a button down shirt and burgundy wingtips...
eh.gif

I usually reply "Why do you look like a college freshman? We're graduates, in the professional world and should act/dress a little better than we did 5-6 years ago..." or I'll respond with "because I like it and look better than you guys!"
laugh.gif

I'll sometimes respond with a general "I like it and think it looks great on me".

I say "I am not dressed up. You are dressed down."

StylingUK

Reaction score
Originally Posted by metroman

I wanted to fall down and laugh in tears but he was so serious! I went home and told my step father who was about the same age as pinky and he laughed his arse off and wanted to go there and see him and sure enough for dinner pinky was there and the two of us laughing got the entire place laughing and Pinky stormed outa there in a hurry.

The lovely waitress probably have alot less tips now that you embarassed Mr. PINKY.
lol8[1].gif

mishon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lately, my coworkers have been commenting on the "tight fit" of my Incotex pants and polo shirts on casual Fridays.

houserichichi

Reaction score
I work for a major international clothing and lifestyle company and I still get trouble from my boss specifically about my pocket squares. In fact, the truth is I am the only one who actually wears them. I also used to get hassled for my rather colourful sock collection but both have become accepted by most of my coworkers.

I used to get "nobody wears pocket squares anymore" to which I would reply, "I do and so do most of the men in the magazines. Besides, what else is that pocket for?"

I also got "your socks don't match your pants" to which I'd reply "So?"

I always loved "I really hate that tie" to which I'd respond, "Really? I like it and that's why I wear it" and end the conversation outright.

What really bothers me is when people come out with negative comments without any provocation. I never comment on their ugly shoes unless they ask and even then I'm civil and diplomatic.

adamsnez

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Orsini
This question recently came up on the other side. One of the suggested answers I liked best was:

"I thought there would be important people here!"

this quote is full of win

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Orsini
This question recently came up on the other side. One of the suggested answers I liked best was: "I thought there would be important people here!"
I like this response. I doubt I'd ever use it, but I do like it.

Doc4

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mishon
Lately, my coworkers have been commenting on the "tight fit" of my Incotex pants and polo shirts on casual Fridays.
I get bugged when people assume I take an "extra large" t-shirt (or golf shirt or whatever) and I have to twist their arm to accept that I am a "large" and like clothes that fit and aren't baggy like theirs.
Originally Posted by houserichichi
I always loved "I really hate that tie" to which I'd respond, "Really? I like it and that's why I wear it" and end the conversation outright.

What really bothers me is when people come out with negative comments without any provocation. I never comment on their ugly shoes unless they ask and even then I'm civil and diplomatic.

The more style-deprived the dude is, the more likely he is to unprovokedly approach with his hand before his eyes, saying "ooh, your tie! it blinds me!!" For some people, the drab Zellers polyester special is ohh la la! Usually, the only witty comeback I can think of is "dude, you dress like $h!t, so your opinion means nothing to me ... less than nothing in fact, in corfirms that I chose the right tie!" ... but I keep that one to myself.

ScruffyLimey

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Threadbearer

The ONLY time I got a good one in -- and I did it first.

I walked onto the hospital ward I regularly visited wearing a spotted bow tie (that's twice in one career I need to watch this) and the Charge Nurse [male equivalent to Ward Sister] looked about to speak, so I jumped in;

"Before you ask - no, it doesn't light up; no, it doesn't spin round; yes, I tied it myself; and because I like wearing them, that's why. Now do you still have any questions?"

The high point in a lot of "wish I'd said..." moments

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads