• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"uneducated and uninformed"

adamsnez

Reaction score
Tell stories of times people have commented on an article of your clothing, or questioned why something was the way it is.

My biggest pet peeve, some dude at work, pisses me off
"did you know your pants are too short?"

my usual reply
"you wear ecko jeans" <shrug>

I feel that describing or even ATTEMPTING to explain the small/no break, is a COMPLETELY lost cause in todays world and many many people would flat out, "not get it"

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can say, "Actually no, they're not. How much do you want me to go into the three basic types of proper length."

Wait for their blank stare... and move on.

bounce2.gif

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Once a chick in a frat boy sports bar commented on my white linen pocket square: &quot;why are you wearing a hankey?&quot;

Kas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why are you dressed up?
Why are you wearing a tie?

micbain

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flambeur
Once a chick in a frat boy sports bar commented on my white linen pocket square: "why are you wearing a hankey?"

The pocket square usually gets the most responses from the "uneducated an uninformed". I remember once a chick (a trashy one at that) started making fun of it and actually pulled it out of my suit! I nearly slapped a ho!

coogie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by robb01
Why are you wearing a watch with diamonds?
plain.gif

biggrin.gif

its a perfectly fine question if you're a male

why would a man wear a watch with diamonds?

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One of the other lawyers at work as she pointed at my Kent Wang pocket square: &quot;Do people actually sell those?&quot;

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While I was having my Chan made in HK last year, I met up with some friends and told them about the process. I then mentioned the price. They thought this was a good deal, until I clarified I was talking Canadian dollars. Then it devolved into “do you know how many suits I could get at [insert name of local cheap ‘n nasty tailor] for that??”

These were professional expats, paid close to North American standards (actually better given the personal income tax rate there) but I guess who, fair enough, have other priorities.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Once a chick in a frat boy sports bar commented on my white linen pocket square: "why are you wearing a hankey?"

I get that a lot when using linen or cotton square and even silks on occasion but I don't mind- after all, the hanky is what started it.

Quatsch

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kas
Why are you wearing a tie?
There's no easier way to garner a whole lot of attention at a state university in Tennessee than wearing a tie, even if its just worn in a casual way. I hate getting this question.

JeffB

Reaction score
Living in the mid-western U.S. (even in a more liberal town) I've gotten this kind of thing a lot. Someone recently asked me why I was wearing &quot;retro-60's&quot; style pants (Prince of Wales plaid). I guess a guy wearing ANY kind of &quot;plaid&quot; is considered &quot;retro&quot; by some moron's standards. That's kind of like saying &quot;herringbone&quot; or &quot;houndstooth&quot; is &quot;retro&quot;. It's no more &quot;retro&quot; than the style of clothing most people wear that was created a LONG time ago...Of course no one here would make this comment to a woman.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Working on Capitol Hill I got from a few guys "You're not wearing a belt!!!"

As I was wearing trousers with no belt loops and side adjusters.

Doc4

Reaction score

... you got laid, didn't you?
rimshot.gif

Complaints about pink shirts ... almost always from guys ... who think wearing pink is 'sissy' or 'gay' ... no in the Flintstones sense, and they probably would never follow that one up with a NTTAWWT.

(Of course, every once in a while a lady will compliment me on my pink shirt, which is totally
inlove.gif
)

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Ugh, don't get me started! Went into a French restaurant once, looking (I thought) pretty dapper in a blazer, shirt, tie, and a great pair of double monks. Anyway, the waiter had the NERVE to come up to me and say, in that snooty French/English nasal tone, "Perhaps Monsieur would like to put on a pair of pants before dining this evening?" Damn Frenchies... I about decked the guy!
tounge.gif
Just kidding; of course almost all of us who take a lot of time to consider dress, but live in "normal" zones of the country, have endured this stuff, from the shoes we wear to the accessories to the actual garments themselves. It's just a part of it. As Aristotle said, "A Snappy Dresser in a Slovenly World will be considered Slovenly."

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Doc4
... you got laid, didn't you?
rimshot.gif

Complaints about pink shirts ... almost always from guys ... who think wearing pink is 'sissy' or 'gay' ... no in the Flintstones sense, and they probably would never follow that one up with a NTTAWWT.

(Of course, every once in a while a lady will compliment me on my pink shirt, which is totally
inlove.gif
)

Yes, I like pink shirts - if they are the right shade and not too dark - but some people still have that "pink is for sissies" mentality.

I also like to dress up and dress well, but can't stand some people asking me why I dress the way I do.

Many people don't understand that clothes are a very crucial form of nonverbal communication. Clothes are the way you control how others treat you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads