• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

We Have Lost the War, Now Come the Reparations

Blastwice

Reaction score
An example outfit for the plane:

IMG_2722.jpg

IMG_2723.jpg

Drago Super 130s Rugby Flannel Corduroy-lined Harrington - Luxire
  • Woven with a natural stretch, stain resistant, Water repelling, Natural Wrinkle Resistant
Machine Washable wool drawstring pleated pants - Luxire
Pique long-sleeved polo - Luxire

Polo and pants are my own styles via Luxire's customization tools, all MTM.

While I certainly recommend upgrading your TSA subscription (if you are American) or upgrading to Business Class for a better experience, if you're stuck in economy like I am, this kind of outfit makes for something elegant, comfortable, and convenient.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It seems everyone took the author as saying "people should wear tailoring on planes", but to be honest I'm not sure it's what he was really saying. In fact I think the author was mostly lamenting people wearing pajamas, sweatpants, cargo shorts and similar. He never actually said you should wear a jacket, just that you should make an effort to dress better, and that he personally wears one, except on very long flights he removes it. And he also said he is comfortable being overdressed, for that matter.
But people love to jump to conclusions when they feel defensive, as the comment on the article shows, though it doesn't help that the article was written in a way that sounded a bit too judgmental.
I'm interested to know if all the posters that are disagreeing with the article would still disagree on this notion that "you should make an effort".
I say this because I am seeing a lot of people saying they don't care what the others wear, and that the author is wrong, but they themselves actually wear something nice, even if not tailoring (which isn't surprising, since we are on SF after all).
So I wonder, do you really not care that many people don't make any effort at all to be presentable? I'm not even talking about CM necessarily here - even if a look is not CM, it is usually clear if they made any effort compared to coming up in pajamas.
Or do you care, but just think it's their full right to do so?

In fact, this is a bit of a paradox to me. I don't really see much the clothes I am wearing, while I see all the time the clothes others have on - so sometimes I wonder whether it would make me happier to see nice clothes on other people I interact with rather than on me. Just a funny thought. Of course, that doesn't account for tactile feelings, comfort of right fit etc, but still, the visual element is undoubtedly a large part of why we dress like we do, I would think.

I am not even sure the problem is cargo pants. Cargo pants are not in any sense inherently objectionable (Styleforumites might disagree on this point). There is a difference between wearing a cargo pants and a plain t-shirt, which at least seems "fit for being seen in public", and wearing like, stained and ugly cargo pants, with a t-shirt that talks about looking at buttholes.

I don't even think we have to say something like "everyone should wear tailored clothes on planes". Nah. I am just saying, "Don't wear something you'd be embarrassed to wear in public" on a plane. Don't be like those awful pictures of people at Walmart wearing absurd outfits that would be warranted to wear only if one were awakened at 3 am by an Earthquake and one had to flee into the streets wearing something, lest one be naked.

Last edited:

DapperPhilly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure this was addressed further back but for me more important than what a person is wearing is personal hygiene.
Don't stink up the plane with BO or put too much cologne on. Or even worse, put too much cologne on to try and mask your BO.
Also, eating a pre flight meal that you know will give you major flatulence is very uncool.

stuffedsuperdud

Reaction score
Don't be like those awful pictures of people at Walmart wearing absurd outfits that would be warranted to wear only if one were awakened at 3 am by an Earthquake and one had to flee into the streets wearing something, lest one be naked.

Bro, two words: Siren. Suit.

A tailoring-adjacent garment specifically for those irritating 3AM wakeups, such as the Luftwaffe blitzing your ass. Hop into it and dash into the Underground for safety. There's no excuse for slovenliness even when facing imminent death, or especially when! If you must go down, make sure your body is SF-approved.

Winston_Churchill_during_the_Second_World_War_in_the_United_Kingdom_H38661.jpg

kingsman-new-recruits-115516.jpg

Pair with Lazymans for maximum donning speed and Churchillian style.

Inb4 they start selling this on The Rake, with accompanying music video featuring Alexander Kraft and all his pugilistic prowess.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure this was addressed further back but for me more important than what a person is wearing is personal hygiene.
Don't stink up the plane with BO or put too much cologne on. Or even worse, put too much cologne on to try and mask your BO.
Also, eating a pre flight meal that you know will give you major flatulence is very uncool.

This is just table stakes for being a considerate human though isn’t it? Or it should be.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bro, two words: Siren. Suit.

A tailoring-adjacent garment specifically for those irritating 3AM wakeups, such as the Luftwaffe blitzing your ass. Hop into it and dash into the Underground for safety. There's no excuse for slovenliness even when facing imminent death, or especially when! If you must go down, make sure your body is SF-approved.

Winston_Churchill_during_the_Second_World_War_in_the_United_Kingdom_H38661.jpg

kingsman-new-recruits-115516.jpg

Pair with Lazymans for maximum donning speed and Churchillian style.

Inb4 they start selling this on The Rake, with accompanying music video featuring Alexander Kraft and all his pugilistic prowess.

I am immediately investing in a siren suit. Immediately.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's wearing loafers with a siren suit. Do I dare ask the forbidden question:

Can you wear your oxfords with a siren suit?

wow are the loafers snakeskin ?

Cause Moe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where are the links for keto business dress onesies?

Shetterd

Reaction score
Mr Porter is currently selling a Kingsman moleskin jumpsuit for a mere £1000.

1651653333842.png

Sirguywhosmiles

Reaction score
it's weird they aren't cashing in on it now. I've heard businesses selling/installing bunkers are completely booked here in europe.
2022_4$largeimg_1585974697.jpeg.jpg

Given what's driving these bunker sales, I think most customers would prefer something more akin to what Mr Zelensky wears these days.

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My comment made no reference to the authors. In my case I simply gave my own personal view. I just don't care what others wear.
I do care about my own appearance so I dress what I consider nicely for air travel. I almost always pack a SC and/or suit but don't think I've ever worn either on a plane.
Would I enjoy seeing other people well dressed in the airport? I never gave it any thought until you brought it up, but I'm sure I would appreciate viewing nice ensembles.
I also think geography has a bit to do with it. Living in South Florida I can tell you people just don't really dress up here unless required for a wedding or some other event. Our airports ( FLL & MIA) are probably inhabited by 50% wearing shorts and t's.
I do think most dress for comfort when traveling.
I venture you would care what other people wear on planes (or buses or trains) if the guy next to you was wearing a tank top with his hairy armpits rubbing against you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads