• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Two brands for your consideration - Nicholas K and Helmet of the Will

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am constantly looking for hoodies, and sometimes find other stuff along the way.

Nicholas K has been around a while, but they really started catching my eye in FW06. The cuts are more generous (the brother is the model on the site, and he is not a small guy,) which means that at 5'11" and 152 lbs, I wear a small in many styles. I really like the muted pallette, including the washed out French terry hoodies in brighter colors that are made wearable by having a soft, garment washed treatment. Not really cheap (hoodies are $225+), but there are tons of details on the pieces. lots of zip off (or snap off) hoodies, snap button closers, etc... Peasant had some pieces, as does Caravan in NYC (www.shopcaravan.com) and NewDandyism (www.newdandyism.com). Great outerwear as well.

www.nicholask.com

I also really like Helmet of the Will hoodies ( www.helmetwill.com ) Active Endeavors (cough cough) carries their hoodies online, but Steven Alan and Uncle Otis have them as well (Otis has the best prices, even better than Active, at $180CDN). The hoodies are really well made, with great details like three piece hoods, and ribbed inserts on the hood (middle piece of hood is actually ribbed) and shoulder) as well at on the hem, side, and cuffs. Brand new brand started by an ex-Rogan designer. Brian tells me that he is getting the hoodies for fall.

hermes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i think nicholas k will be a big thing in a few years
the talent is there

on a side note, what's up with all these women designers using the last letter "K"; there's filippa k, daryl k and now nicholas k ......

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hermes
the talent is there

on a side note, what's up with all these women designers using the last letter "K"; there's filippa k, daryl k and now nicholas k ......

Um, they coincidentally have last names starting with "K"? It's "Kunz" in the case of Nicholas K. I believe that it is "Kerrigan" in Daryl K. Not sure if Filippa K is a person or just a corporate construct.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Nicholas K makes some very unique pieces. Reminds of me of Engineered Garments but with a more European inspiration. I'm a fan of the Davis shirt in Mint.
picture1uz8.jpg

hermes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i realize that their last names are with a letter "k" (it's knutsson for fillippa k, by the way, and she's a real person and a rather attractive swede if i recall her face correctly) but my point is that it's rather ironic that three women designers with last names starting with the letter "k" don't use their last name, but the letter "k" instead .....

anyway, it's just an off topic comment

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i realize that their last names are with a letter "k" (it's knutsson for fillippa k, by the way, and she's a real person and a rather attractive swede if i recall her face correctly) but my point is that it's rather ironic that three women designers with last names starting with the letter "k" don't use their last name, but the letter "k" instead .....

anyway, it's just an off topic comment

Ah, smart guy
smile.gif
Moderation necessary?
lookaround.gif

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
Nicholas K makes some very unique pieces. Reminds of me of Engineered Garments but with a more European inspiration. I'm a fan of the Davis shirt in Mint.

Wow, that is a nice shirt, though if it fits like that on a guy built like that, it may be cut a bit loose for me. "EG with a more European inspiration" is basically my dream label.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Saucemaster
Wow, that is a nice shirt, though if it fits like that on a guy built like that, it may be cut a bit loose for me. "EG with a more European inspiration" is basically my dream label.

Are you saying that you are not dark and brooding and muscley? Actually, you are my size, more or less - which means you'd need a small in most of their pieces.

Rye GB

Angry Englishman
Reaction score
When I hear "Helmet Of The Will" I keep thinking of "Purple Helmets"...why?.

Nicholas K gear looks good, nice details without looking contrived. I'm not a fan of EG, too fussy for me.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rye GB
When I hear "Helmet Of The Will" I keep thinking of "Purple Helmets"...why?.

Nicholas K gear looks good, nice details without looking contrived. I'm not a fan of EG, too fussy for me.

Too easy... must... resist....

Yeah, I really like the Nicholas K stuff as well. Thought that you might like it, seeing as she uses a lot of the same details as you do (separable layered pieces for outerwear, for example) except in a different context.

Engineered Garments fussy? Really? I have the opposite reaction. The stuff is nearly all based on heritage workwear pieces, so all the details have some function. Well, different strokes.

As for the name "Helmet of the Will", I am not sure whether it is a play on the designer's name (Will) or a reference in Nietzche ("Helmet of the Will to Power").

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
the talent is there

Didn't Daryl K. close after the Pegasus Group bought them out?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really really like Nicholas K stuff. Especially, the outerwear is just fantastic. I picked up a Nicholas K Bronson jacket in fawn color at Odin in January during the sale (40% off so not too painful) and it is just awesome. Fit is great and the materials and hardware are extremely well chosen. They also make some beautiful cardigans. I am very happy with that purchase and I believe this brand will go far if they don't start messing up with quality.

here's their Spring catalog
http://www.nicholask.com/pdf/NicholasK_spr07_m.pdf

sygyzy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I normally love your suggestions LA Guy, but I am not feeling these right now. Maybe I'll grow to like them but first impressions are not great.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Nicholas k is somewhat gimmicky to me and the construction isn't all that great, I feel it is a tad contrived contrary to what Rye said, then again I never agree with him anyway. The other I have no opinion of but I prefer filippa k and acne to Nick though I own no pieces from either.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads