• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tuxedo or Formal Suit

Lokani

Reaction score
Is it possible to get a great quality suit/tuxedo for the price you pay at J.Crew? Or are there better options? Thanks in advance!

Lokani

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Which are you talking about? They are very different articles which are not interchangeable.

Lokani

Reaction score
Thanks GBR for your reply. I'm sorry I didn't think about that. I suppose a suit then... since it might be more versatile.

When I'm looking at suits online, most places write 100% wool. I know there are tiers of quality like (super 120s etc).. but when looking at designer fashion labels vs. j.crew or any off the rack suit. How do I know what to look for? I'm pretty inexperienced to building a wardrobe. So I guess I'm looking for direction.

I'll clarify, theres is a vivienne westwood suit and a j.crew suit I've looked at. Both would describe 100% wool. What then would you use to say which is better? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whichever one fits better, is better. As you're inexperienced, you shouldn't buy suits online. You need to try them on to be sure they fit perfectly in the shoulders.

Last edited:

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Definitely try them on. For one thing, certain cuts or models may fit you better and a well fitting suit will look better than a suit that does not fit as well. If the suit fits well, it can look more expensive as well. Also, even if you're inexperienced, you can probably tell something by feeling the fabric, which is something you cannot do online. Don't pay much attention to the "Super" labels of less expensive off the rack suits.

Lokani

Reaction score
Thank you all. Yeah, I do think I need to transition from online shopping to actually trying things in store. It's sometimes intimidating. Maybe I'll get the hang of things and learn how to build a solid wardrobe.

tylerbirt23

Reaction score
I think J Crew is okay. I mean my friend got his suit for prom there. I’m just not sure about the price, though.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thank you all. Yeah, I do think I need to transition from online shopping to actually trying things in store. It's sometimes intimidating. Maybe I'll get the hang of things and learn how to build a solid wardrobe. 

What's intimidating about buying a suit in a store? That's what they're there for--to sell you a suit!

Here are a few tips about what not to buy.

If the lapels on the jacket "pop," i.e., buckle out in front of your chest, pass on it. (It have this problem with most ready-to-wear suit coats).

If fabric bunches up behind your neck, don't get it.

If the shoulders on the jacket extend well beyond your natural shoulders, pass on it.

If the fit around the armholes feels "off" or in any way uncomfortable, don't get it.

Perhaps others can suggest some other things to look out for. Above all, DON'T be conned by dishonest salesmen who say, "Our expert alterations tailors can fix that." Alterations tailors can fix some things just fine, like sleeve and trouser length, and tweak the garment in some other ways, but there is much they simply cannot do.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads