• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tucking jeans into boots...is this okay, or is this only in rap videos? lol

JCUSN

Reaction score
I've noticed many stores displaying their jeans tucked into boots, and even shoe store saleswomen instructing buyers to do this. Is this normal fashion? I somewhat like the look, but I feel like it's something I used to do in middle school when I wore giant Timberland boots.

Should I be tucking my jeans into my boots this winter?

cioni2k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dont mind the look and I think it looks cool in magazines & catalogs, but it kind of looks a affected in real life. I wouldnt do it personally

clausc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would not do it, unless I could afford these Edward Green for Hardy Amies
Shannon brogue boots:inlove:

JohnnyLaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's clear from your post that you don't know how to pull it off. It can look good sometimes though, particularly with military/combat boots.

^^ Those Edward Greens should obviously not be worn tucked. They look terrible in that picture.

Last edited:

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's ok if there is valid reason to do so, ie: deep snow or heavy rain. But wouldn't it better to just roll up the cuffs a bit, that is definitely more stylish at the moment. (See many postings from SF member NAMOR).

Although I do agree with ClausC that if I owned those Hardie Amies boots I'd probably stop at nothing to expose every centimeter of them. Up to and including wearing them on my head!

JCUSN

Reaction score
I LOVE those brogue boots...I can't seem to find a decent pair in my area at all!

The boots that I'm planning to buy today are very dark brown/black marbled color...and they're definitely very military/combat styled. I just want to make sure I can pull them off. They honestly look nice with jeans tucked in, I just don't want to look "affected" as stated above.

GasparddeColigny

Reaction score
It's a very fashionable style right now, but it requires more rugged type boots and jeans/trousers with a taper, definately a SW&D style.

I wouldn't do it with those nice E.G. Shannons, although I'd use a little roll/turnup to show just a bit more of the boots.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would not unless you are the A&F guy who wears PJ and boots to town.

Certainly not my cup of tea, and this probably will not help you get laid

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Depends how cold it is, how narrow the jeans are and how big are your boots. Basically, big (above the ankle) lined boots with narrow jeans - tuck. Ankle boots and straight-cut denim - don't even try.

I should say that my views are somewhat conditioned by my location. In Ontario, when it's -25 Celsius in February, you really aren't thinking about getting laid, you're thinking about getting home without losing your vital statistics to frostbite. Not only are you tucking your jeans into your Sorels, but you're probably also wearing thermal underwear...

rolledcollar

Reaction score
Unless you're walking around in muck or have another practical reason to be tucking your pants into your boots (and there are good reasons), I think it usually looks feminine.

Last edited:

Mute

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Only if your wearing BDUs and combat boots. That or you're gay.

AndyMG

Reaction score
Personally I think it looks hideous. A popular look in the UK at the moment is a t-shirt with a huge v neck that shows most of the chest, pre-distressed jeans with elasticated bottoms, tucked into a pair of pre-distressed boots.

The worst culprits for it seem to be men in their 30s who still wish they were 18 and buy their clothes at AllSaints. I call it the 'arsehole' look.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads