• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trip to Vienna and Budapest to buy Shoes

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Doxe
Thanks to all,

What I'm looking for are non-gemmed, hand-made, classic shoes.

I was considering Vass because they are non-gemmed.

My concern about sourcing Vass through SF is the fit of the lasts. I'd rather go to the source and get fitted properly, or even go the MTO route than roll the dice.

I'm going to check out Mr Weiner's shop where Binge picked up his shoes. They look beautiful. Hopefully he has something in my size.

The style of shoe I'm loooking for is a business shoe. I know that Vienna and Budapest have a long history of making work shoes like the budapester, but I don't see myself getting much use out of a workhorse shoe. That was why I didn't consider Operation Paprika.

I will check out Marcel (Koronya). If I could build a collection of Koronya I'd be a happy man
smile.gif

Does anyone know if you can order shoes for delivery to North America from Koronya directly, or do you have to order them through his New York agent?

I believe that Vass does not ship RTW to North America, which is why future purchases from Vass (if I choose to use Vass) would be through SF.

I will definitely go to the Christmas markets.

Vass does ship RTW to North America

Doxe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fritzl
this is "the" business shoe in our region. nvm.

btw, i have exactly the same style of shoe binge got, sitting right next to me. operation paprika is a family brand. i do not remember you ever asked about the possibilities, anyway.

I always thought of the budapester as a "country" shoe, not a city shoe.

I guess I would say that I'm looking for something "sleeker" - if that makes any sense - than a budapester.

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by janne melkersson
Doxe,
"My main concern is that the shoes are not gemmed (hence Vass)."

Are you saying that Vass shoes are gemmed? I would be very surprised if they are.

He's saying he doesn't want gemmed shoes, consequently he wants to purchase a pair of Vass shoes (since they're not gemmed).

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I guess I would say that I'm looking for something "sleeker" - if that makes any sense - than a budapester.

a little bit. it depends on the width of your foot, hence the last shape.

Doxe

Reaction score
I've read in another thread on Vass that if you go to the shop and pay in cash, that they will cut you a deal, usually 10% off for 1 pair, 15% off for two.

Is this still accurate?

Should I bring Euros or florints if I'm going to the Vass store in Budapest?

Finally, what's the best day to go to the Vass store. I've read that Monday's are the best because there is someone there who speaks english. This is a particular concern if I want to ask about different lasts and sizing options.

Thanks again for all the help.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've read in another thread on Vass that if you go to the shop and pay in cash, that they will cut you a deal, usually 10% off for 1 pair, 15% off for two.

Is this still accurate?

Finally, what's the best day to go to the Vass store. I've read that Monday's are the best because there is someone there who speaks english. This is a particular concern if I want to ask about different lasts and sizing options.

They take credit cards. I don't think they gave me a deal this summer (not quite sure), but then I only bought one pair.

Doxe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by radicaldog
They take credit cards. I don't think they gave me a deal this summer (not quite sure), but then I only bought one pair.

Did they have a decent selection of lasts and models to choose from?

My issue is I have a narrow heel with wide toes and a high instep. That's why I'm so interested in trying on different shoes to get a feel for the lasts. Once I have a fit zeroed in I plan on buying different models on the same last.

Also, was there much of a language barrier?

Thanks

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Is this still accurate?

I was there several years ago. Just wandered in. The sales person spoke excellent English.

economiayocio

Reaction score

Is this still accurate?

I was there not long ago. All of them speak english, although I didn't find them nice at any time... At moments even rude... And I bought 2 pairs one day (1 cordovan) and another on the next...

Comunication was good, they accepted credit card, but they didn't even gave me one pair of the shoes trees. And I spent a lot...

The shoes, amazing, but don't have all. In F last for example, which i find the best, not at all. For any variations you have to ask them and they will send them after.

augustin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jangofett
Well, I know Maftei and Abbaschule do not accept credit card. I was trying to look for atms but I gave up. I figured the local banks would charge me a high commission for drawing Euros.

Oh, and the VAT claim in the airport was disappointing. They took a high commission from me and I really dont know how they calculate the VAT due to me.

I bought a pair of shoes from Abba in May, and I used a cc. (Their selection of Vass, however, was disappointing.)

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
E-mail Marcell about what he needs to do bespoke for you. In the past, he's done perfectly fine work without a fitting. Whether that works for you is another issue. If you see him, don't do the boutique in the center of town-- invest in a taxi ride to go to his workshop. A bit of a hike, but well worth it.

Do drop in on the Vass shop to try the lasts. You may be surprised, and it's a lot better to have that happen in 20 minutes in Budapest than over 6 weeks through the post. Or 25 threads on SF, none of which are likely to help.

Balint's head guy died earlier this year.
frown.gif
I don't know if he got my last made before he went. But the family is still very much in business, and certainly their RTW should still be going. Lovely stuff.

Maftei is another potentially good source from Vienna. Not so elegant in the stitching as Balint or even Vass, but very, very careful about fit, and flexible on style. And not so expensive, for bespoke. I think my last pair was 700 Euros. Worth a look. If you need follow-up fittings, there is a professor at Wellesley College who handles much of their US commerce.
There is more than one shop-- avoid the one NE of St Stephen's (I think that's the right direction), and go south of the StaatsOper instead. That's the workshop, not the boutique. Also be aware that the Maftei family are of a Christian sect that keeps something like an orthodox Jewish sabbath so call to be sure about when they'll be there.

Materna also seemed to be a fine place, and the only reasons I tried Balint instead was (a) Materna was said to need a fitting on bespoke shoes, and (b) I preferred the styling at Balint by maybe 3%.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My issue is I have a narrow heel with wide toes and a high instep. That's why I'm so interested in trying on different shoes to get a feel for the lasts. Once I have a fit zeroed in I plan on buying different models on the same last.

Also, was there much of a language barrier?

Thanks

The selection in the shop wasn't huge. But you can try all their lasts so you can always order something made to order.

I spoke German with both ladies in the shop, because their German was noticeably better than their English. But they can get by in English.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

My issue is I have a narrow heel with wide toes and a high instep.

Their more English and Italian Oxfords may be out of the question for you, then, but derbies from 3636 and Budapester lasts sound promising. It won't take long to settle on what works.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads