Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Trench Sizing

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Midpoint, Sep 9, 2011.

1. Midpoint

Midpoint Member

I have just received a Burburry trench coat. I'm not as confident in the sizing as I was when I ordered it. I'm a 42R [at Marks and Spencer anyway] and the coat is available in a 41 or a 43 inch chest measurement - so I went for a 43.

Can trench coats be tailored readily? If anyone has had adjustments made to theirs I'd be grateful to hear about it. If I could choose I't want it slimmed a little and shortened by a couple of inches - I'm 6ft and a smidge and pretty chunky, and the coat covers my knees [just].

My assumption is that with a suit a 41 would probably look silly, so it is better to be slightly too large than too small?

Trench in question:

M.

2. Amelorn

Amelorn Senior member

Burberry's sizing can be problematic. Their suits and fashion-forward trenches (the shorter ones) run quite small. The classic trenches and dress shirts run true to size.

3. Midpoint

Midpoint Member

Thank you both.

I've been collecting design 'classics' this past year or so. I'm pleased with the quality of manufacture of the coat [made in England!] and the detailing - just the size that gives concern. One of my physical deformities is very long and short calves, so I may have it taken up above the knee if that is feasible.