• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Traveling to Italy

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wicky
Foo, you should consider this as a disclaimer under all your posts. It made me laugh.

I stand by my statement
smile.gif

69clyde

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Adam2001
I'm getting ready to take a trip to Italy for the first time since graduating college and was wondering what the generally-accepted attire is these days? We won't be spending much time in large cities (no Milan, only one day in each of Venice, Florence, and Rome), but will be in Verona, and Tuscany much of the time. Any tips for blending in and not looking like a yankee tourist?

Also, any advice available for clothing/leather shopping in Florence or elsewhere? The leather markets in Florence seemed great when I was 22, but I have a feeling there might be a large amount of low-quality goods.

Thanks.

I have been five times and twice my bags have been lost, thanks AA. Last year my wife and I spent new years eve and AA lost our bags with my tuxedo and my wifes dress. So we spent the next couple of days I'll equipped. My advice, in one of your carry-ons pack a nice sport coat and trousers and wear a nice pair of leathers just in case they lose your luggage, which I hope doesn't happen. I envy you, I love Italy, the food, the fashion sense. You'll love it. Enjoy

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm only talking about my own experience:
Venice: The locals are charming.I was lost walking to my hotel near the Rialto Bridge and a gentleman took the time to not only look at the map but also call the hotel to know exactly where it was..
A lot of designer labels ,big names such as Louis VUITTON etc...
I bought a Kiton suit at the Duca della Agosto?..Not sure of the name but they're great and very friendly..
A lot of spezzattura...
Rome: Lovely city...Shopping average ..A few places near to the Spanish steps...
Great with the wife...
ROmans are like any inhabitants from big cities ..Rude towards tourists but in that case ,even if you were talking to them in Italian...
Sienna,Florence:Beautiful cities..Shopping ok...

Adam2001

Reaction score
Thanks to all for the input. We leave day after tomorrow and the weather looks mostly like highs of 70-ish and lows of mid-50s with little rain through the trip. A lot of our time will be spent in the countryside visiting wineries my wife represents. I had intended to bring a handful of polos and button downs with a couple of sweaters and a sport coat. After reading most of the responses, that sounds fairly reasonable.

And I should probably clarify my question of blending in -- my concern is simply not sticking out like a sore thumb, and not to avoid looking "American." In fact, in backpacking after college and being advised to get a Canadian flag pin for my pack, I proudly sported the red white and blue. No problem wearing our colors :)

Again, thanks. Any Verona, Siena, San Gimignano recommendations -- I'm all ears.

sbrneu

Reaction score
The torture museum in San Gimigiano (sp.) is interesting, although quite unnerving.

buckeye75

Reaction score
Obviously anything with a college, state, or city name on the front just screams "American". Even if it's hot, the board shorts and flip-flops look will also definitely make you stand out. I remember when I went a few years ago many locals were wearing red slacks... not sure where it came from, but that was in.

OH, and if you're a soccer fan, make sure you're VERY cognizant of what team you are affiliating yourself with... I've seen a 10 year old tell an American to go ************ because he thought he was cool wearing a Rome jersey in Florence...

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Zegnamtl
Adam,

Venice has been ruined by tourism, it is little more than a mall within historic buildings. Don't get your hopes up to high for the Venice leg of the trip. But if you forget you runners, don't worry, there is even a Foot Locker store. Sorry, but better warned now if you have not been there in 20 plus years, you are in for shock.

It will all be underwater soon enough. Enjoy it while you can, Foot Locker be damned.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
What's wrong with looking like an American or whatever else you are when abroad? I've never understood discussions about how to dress for the locals while on vacation. Once you satisfy a base level of propriety, your style should be your own and there isn't anything wrong with it reflecting where you come from. After all, I don't expect Italians to deck themselves out in North Face and Polo when they come to Manhattan.

http://mfanblog.blogspot.com/2007/03...ing-there.html

http://mfanblog.blogspot.com/2007/03...-matuozzo.html

http://mfanblog.blogspot.com/2007/03...marinella.html

Quatsch

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
What's wrong with looking like an American or whatever else you are when abroad? I've never understood discussions about how to dress for the locals while on vacation. Once you satisfy a base level of propriety, your style should be your own and there isn't anything wrong with it reflecting where you come from. After all, I don't expect Italians to deck themselves out in North Face and Polo when they come to Manhattan.
I too have often wondered why people fret about this. The first time or so I went abroad I was concerned about blending in and not being the stereotypical American. I think that was about wanting to avoid the bad stereotype. Now, I don't care at all, though I consider myself a good tourist, don't wear sneakers, try to know a few important words in the local language, and always try to be aware of cultural differences. Whenever I go somewhere on a trip, I'm a tourist. Why try to pretend otherwise? The only time I try to pretend I'm not an American is when I'm being persistently pestered by people trying to sell me something who are speaking to me in English, in which case I pretend I'm a German for a few minutes. (everybody knows all Americans are monolingual right?) Speaking of which, young Americans definitely do not have the monopoly on dressing poorly. Canadians, Aussies, Irish, and Germans are no better. I've never met any brits my age, but I wouldn't be surprised if thats the same. I think the main thing that gives American tourists a bad reputation is cultural unawareness on the part of many.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads