• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Top 5 Crappiest Jobs As a Kid

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sherlockian
Still waiting for someone to recall a few painful, and heretofore repressed, childhood memories of having to do "special favours" for their shady uncle and his circle of sweaty friends down in the basement.

Check the "Confessional Threak" in Dumb Threads.

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
1) Bag boy at the grocery store. Crappy pay, on my feet all day, and to make matters worse I had to ride my bike there every day (about five miles each way).

2) Warehouse worker for Building #19. For those of you who live in New England and know Building #19, 'nuff said.

3) Paper boy. Rain or shine, every day hauling around enough newspaper that my shoulders grew in lopsided. Just ask my tailor. And people were cheap with tips.

4) Mowing and raking neighborhood lawns and parks. Hard work. No ride on mower for me. Did it the old fashioned way, pushing.

5) Soccer referee. I considered making this number one. Suffice it to say, parents are assholes. I think this is where I learned utter contempt for the typical human being.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by montecristo#4
5) Soccer referee. I considered making this number one. Suffice it to say, parents are assholes. I think this is where I learned utter contempt for the typical human being.

I did this for 9 years, from the time I was 12 until 21 when I moved to Chicago. I have to agree that parents are for the most part assholes. Especially when it's younger leagues like U10. Give me a fuckin break. I can understand being a dick at high school games but come on. Between refereeing and volunteer coaching, you get a real feel for how incredibly ridiculous some people can be.

Dedalus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My Asian parents were against my getting a job so that I could focus on school during high school. I managed to convince them to let me be a busboy at a Chinese restaurant so that I could save up for a guitar, though. I got paid under the table, and it wasn't a terrible gig. Part of me wishes I had a menial job right now, if it weren't for the **** pay.

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cashier at the A&P Supermarket at the Jersey Shore during the summer on weekends.. (fri/sat/sun) sometimes the full week
8 hours a day of a NON STOP LINE, of idiot vacationers who wouldn't even help you bag...

this was my only job i hated

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
weaksauce. I started working at the gas station the summer after I turned 15. That summer, I worked Monday to Friday 6 a.m. to 3 p.m., Saturday 9 to 7 and Sunday 10 to 6, that's 63 hours per week at 15 years old. When school started, I went to school until 2:45 p.m. and then worked at the gas station from 3 to 11 every day. I also worked saturdays 9 to 7, that's 50 hours per week while going to high school full time. I did this through all of high school (except for soccer season), until I got the ice cream gig (which, as I posted above, usually involved 80 hour weeks).

No wonder I'm 28 years old and already burnt out.

yeah, but not to sound like a Monty Python skit, but I then went home and had to do my laundry in the bathtub and cook and clean for my self, I was living aone for most of high school.

I actually worked the absolute minumum shifts a week that I needed to put food on the table and pay for housing, cause I wanted to be able to put some focus on school. so, for instance, I didn't buy any clothes or shoes in high school, and got around on an old bicyle, didn't have a tv or a phone.

Treen

Reaction score
My worst was probably a cashier at an all-night petrol station, from 10-7, two days a week. The place was completely empty most of the time and incredibly boring. However, every now and again, people would refuse to pay fro petrol, or just go batshit crazy for no reason, usually drunk. The police were probably out once or twice a night, I had knives, guns pointed at me. When you're 17, in the middle of nowhere and completely by yourself, this stuff scares the hell out of you.

However, the pay was brilliant and I hid behind a shatterproof window, so I worked there for 2 years and most summers, up until now.

ohm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1. Here's the four yorkshiremen skit. It is quite good.
2. My worst job was picking walnuts. Other bad jobs include picking strawberries and blueberries, cleaning 20 year old super market shelves, hauling trash, shoveling snow, digging ditches, pounding in fenceposts and clearing brush. Of all of those, picking walnuts was far and away the worst. We had five gallon buckets and the walnuts were all on the ground covered by leaves with the husks still on. I still remember how overjoyed I was when I went from walnuts to blueberries.

Chiaroscuro

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Some of your jobs really sucked.

I was lucky. Worked at a Sears Portrait Studio, that was in a dying mall. So 4 out of the 5 days I worked I got paid to do nothing for 3 hours. Since I was in a mall instead of doing nothing I would bring girls back to the studio and take pics/make out/**** in the back room.

Oh also had internet as well. To say it rocked would not be saying enough.

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This has almost become a pissing contest to see who had the worst job.

If you ever worked a ****** job, it sucked and, at the time, was the worst thing ever to you.

TylerDurden

Reaction score
-My own yard work business. Earned way bellow minimum wage.
-Phone Telemarketer (stayed with that for 2 days total, never got paid by the company ether)
-Ditch Digger (im serious)

Biscotti

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any job is a good job when your young, at least that is the way I see it. I work 40 hours a week retail at the moment + mowing lawns, and it is quite satisfying.

Jayhawk1412

Reaction score
1. Berry Picker...I was 15, wow I worked for 5 days straight and made $35 total

2. Car Wash....3 summers in a row...not fun

3. Warehouse....drove a forklift, again, not fun

4. Home Depot....drove more forklifts and lifted heavyass bricks all day

5. Lawn Mowing service...attempted to open my own lawn mowing service, didn't work out.

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
From the age of 15 I started working at a gas station. The gas station was just down the street from the yard where the ice cream trucks were parked. At the end of the day during the summer, all of the ice cream trucks would pull into the station to fuel up. I eventually befriended most of the ice cream men, including the guy that owned all the trucks (who, by the way, was a former banker on wall street and decided to leave that job to start his ice cream truck empire - he drove his ice cream truck and leased out other ice cream trucks during the summer and traded stocks during the off season, and made hundreds of thousands of dollars per year). He told me that when I turned 18, he would have an ice cream truck for me to drive. So, the summer after I turned 18, I left the gas station for the ice cream truck gig. I made more money in one summer driving the ice cream truck than I made all year at the gas station.

Cool.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads