• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Saturdays

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah this is a stupid list..

SuitedNBooted

Reaction score
D&G does make some nasty stuff (and I am customer so I should know). But there is always a healthy percentage of the collection that is really good, and a smaller one that is just smashing. Same with AJ: stay away from the logo-laden t-shirts, and you will find items that everyone will envy you.

And it needs to be said: women love a little Italian logo on a guy... let no one deny that :)

Last edited:

curzon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of the Polo pony, and that flippin' enormous one is really dreadful. RL's limited-run special collections, such as the Wimbledon one, are often gauche. I object to the RL Rugby labels, too. But much of the less conspicuous RL line is very nice. I don't like the Barker Black velvet slippers w/ the Jolly Roger, but BB loafers w/ the crossed metal bones is clever take on the traditional horse bit.

Last edited:

Jangofett

Reaction score

BTW I'm rather puzzled about this large two story high Apple billboard in Xilinhot where I live. Because one can't actually buy Apple products in this city *, well apart from knock-off iPhones and iPods.

Is Apple paying for this?

* Found this out when my Macbook Pro needed fixing, done it myself in the end.

The answer to your question lies in the discovery in Kunming China lately of 3 mac shops there, where the staff are in Apple blue and the decor is in typical wood Apple shop decor and they sell Apple stuff. The staff is under the impression they work for Apple.

Unfortunately, Apple do not have branches in Kunming China.

China has done it again! Now they faked an entire mac shop! Now its Steve Jobs turn to be livid.

matt22616

Reaction score

You should present your argument to WIPO and Interpol and even the US anti-counterfeiting arm (forgot their name), who have been dedicating an inordinate amount of time and resources to catching these counterfeiters. Hey live and let live right?

You got me buddy. I'm actually former Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer. I decided to start posting on SF after retiring.

kasakka

Reaction score

How is H&M top tacky, there is no branding on it.

Yeah I don't get it either. Most of their clothing is fairly conservative and generally aimed at younger people. I still have some shirts and jeans from H&M that have been just fine for years. Their suits are mostly polyester so not that great but then again they cost next to nothing. H&M, Zara, Jack&Jones and similar are not that bad choices for people with a very limited budget (teens, students etc).

Not a fan of any of the brands that plaster the logo or brand name all over their stuff. I don't want to be a walking billboard.

bck

Reaction score

The answer to your question lies in the discovery in Kunming China lately of 3 mac shops there, where the staff are in Apple blue and the decor is in typical wood Apple shop decor and they sell Apple stuff. The staff is under the impression they work for Apple.

Unfortunately, Apple do not have branches in Kunming China.

China has done it again! Now they faked an entire mac shop! Now its Steve Jobs turn to be livid.

http://birdabroad.wordpress.com/2011/07/20/are-you-listening-steve-jobs/

Some pics about it in the link. Only in China!

B-Rogue

Reaction score
Why are these fashion related threads in MC? D&G is most certainly a fashion brand. Not only do they show in Milan, they have a number of items that match or exceed their Dolce&Gabbana counterparts (the most expensive shoes using crocodile or whatever exotic leathers have tended to be D&G not Dolce&Gabbana). Just different looks and perhaps design teams. Yes, they have items that exploit the brand image/name to milk the market for profit, but what brand doesn't? And your lists are just
facepalm.gif

To the OP this is single handedly the most ridiculous list I've seen. Who made you the brand police? You put Gant and Banana Republic in the same list. Together with Cucinelli, Ralph Lauren, Alden, Filson and Barbour...
baldy[1].gif

This whole thread makes no sense... just my $ 0.02

I fully agree with the above. And "hate" is just too strong a word or feeling to associate with fashion brands. Their products are made for people to enjoy. Those who like them will and those who dont wont. And considering they are some of the biggest brands in the world, means a lot of people like them. They are that famous that there is a mini industry in China that is making a fortune from producing fake products with these brands' names on them.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I fully agree with the above. And "hate" is just too strong a word or feeling to associate with fashion brands. Their products are made for people to enjoy. Those who like them will and those who dont wont. And considering they are some of the biggest brands in the world, means a lot of people like them. They are that famous that there is a mini industry in China that is making a fortune from producing fake products with these brands' names on them.

Hate is not a strong word for me, especially when their branding and logos are in your face a lot of the time, most notably, LV, Burberry, D&G, Gucci and Emporio Armani. I just wouldn't buy anything from them on principle now. I note your avatar, I'm not exactly a great fan of Apple either. A fashion brand of tech IMO.

BTW have you ever met Hermes Man on this forum?
http://www.styleforum.net/u/81285/hermes-man
Fashion brands make him happy. :D

Say hello...

Last edited:

B-Rogue

Reaction score
Hate is not a strong word for me, especially when their branding and logos are in your face a lot of the time, most notably, LV, Burberry, D&G, Gucci and Emporio Armani. I just wouldn't buy anything from them on principle now. I note your avatar, I'm not exactly a great fan of Apple either. A fashion brand of tech IMO.
I suppose each to their own as they say. However you seem to have quite a deep hatred for fashion brands and I am surprised to see you posting in a forum that is full of fashion brands. Your words contradict your actions. Every company has a logo and the purpose of the logo is just that: to make the company recognizable and seen. So of course they will be in your face all the time, it's their job, so to speak. Unless you hate successful brands only? You say that "you would never buy anything from them in principle". What is that principle? Is it: "I will never buy from a company ever again if they are famous"?

As far as Apple goes that is a matter for discussion in a different forum. Whether you are a fan or not it doesn't bother me at all (and I'm sure Apple couldn't care less either).

I dont like a fashion brand because of its name/logo. If I like a particular product design/quality from their range I will buy it, otherwise I wont bother. I have owned both OSX and Windows products and I will never, ever, ever go back to the clumsy, ugly, bug ridden, complicated, endless huge updates, freezing, crashing all the time Windows products.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I suppose each to their own as they say. However you seem to have quite a deep hatred for fashion brands and I am surprised to see you posting in a forum that is full of fashion brands.

Yes this forum is full of them, especially SW&D. But we don't all buy them though, many here buy from small business', often bespoke. That focus on quality and giving you a nice product. Rather than mass produced things, made by cheap labour in third world countries. Have look at the sponsors and affiliate vendors pages and threads, that's the sort of things that they buy. You won't find the likes of LV or Emporio or D&G or A&F there though.

Your words contradict your actions. Every company has a logo and the purpose of the logo is just that: to make the company recognizable and seen. So of course they will be in your face all the time, it's their job, so to speak. Unless you hate successful brands only? You say that "you would never buy anything from them in principle". What is that principle? Is it: "I will never buy from a company ever again if they are famous"?

I won't buy from companies that focus on their branding and logos, rather than quality, and are charging sky high prices for them, e.g. $200 Emporio Armani T-shirts. I mainly buy non-branded casual clothing, sometimes produced by local small business', and formal shirts and trousers from tailors in Hong Kong,

As far as Apple goes that is a matter for discussion in a different forum. Whether you are a fan or not it doesn't bother me at all (and I'm sure Apple couldn't care less either).

I dont like a fashion brand because of its name/logo. If I like a particular product design/quality from their range I will buy it, otherwise I wont bother. I have owned both OSX and Windows products and I will never, ever, ever go back to the clumsy, ugly, bug ridden, complicated, endless huge updates, freezing, crashing all the time Windows products.

Exactly LOL.... I don't use Windoze either *, except on the office PC occasionally when I have to. I've known people buy Apple MacBooks, they've wiped OS X and installed Windows. In other words they just bought them for the glowing Apple logo.

* Have a look at what I posted in the Windows 8 threak.

Last edited:

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In general, I am put off by any brand that puts its logo/brand name all over clothes/goods.

Last edited:

jacket

Reaction score
What is the criteria for inclusion in this list - is it basically just a greatest-common-factor list of what SF collectively hates? I can see quite a couple brands on there that I personally have no problem with. And since when did Hollister and Rubinacci ever rank in the same category?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads