Top 10 List of most hated fashion brands: gaudy, tacky, flashy, ugly, gross clothing.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by jeromestyle, Jul 17, 2011.

1. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

Hermes? Really? nah... only that stupid belt buckle. Otherwise IMO they're one of the classier joints around.

2. SuitedNBooted

SuitedNBooted Well-Known Member

My understanding is that A/X is not run by Armani at all. If you notice, they have their own logo and don't use the eagle at all - presumably they can't. I am willing to bet that Giorgio cringes as much as anyone when viewing Jersey Shore.

Another thing: the fashion brands out of Europe are counterfeited in more ways than one. Often the design will be just as fake as the manufacturing, and they will milk the logo for all it's worth. So if you're not a regular customer and you don't really know the products, your exposure to the brand is likely to come from that quarter. Just remember the designer is probably not Giorgio himself, but rather some sweaty-browed mouth-breather in a clandestine factory in the Turkish hinterland.

3. jeromestyle

jeromestyle Senior member

No kidding. He has been inspired many times for his collections taking many ideas from that country so it´s a mutual thing.

4. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

Can't see how that can be. Because one can't buy real Armani products here, except in Beijing, Shanghai and Hong Kong.

Maybe if Giorgio was selling his wares here in Xilinhot, then he would have reason to complain and take action about it.

'Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery'. :)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011

5. Kiwi Man

Kiwi Man Senior member

I agree with that Mr. Armani probably want to seperate himself from Armani Exchange just as much as Nordstrom want nothing to do with Last Chance.

Personally, Dolce and Gabbana is more classier brand than D&G. A lot of D&G items are kind of tacky when their mainline items are not really that bad.

6. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

[​IMG]

you know the vintage versions of these watches are actually very cool because of the military history behind them....

and when worn by a huge 6'4" dude with 9"wrists they look size appropriate....

I've said it before too... I lot of my jewish friends wear these watches and are ignorant to the fact that there were special editions made for nazi frogmen trained by the original Italian frogmen during WWII
    [​IMG]

7. Saturdays

Saturdays Senior member

Yeah D&G is tacky, and more casual, not luxury at all. the poster I commented on confused the two apparently

8. Pawz

Pawz Senior member

My understanding is that A/X is not run by Armani at all. If you notice, they have their own logo and don't use the eagle at all - presumably they can't. I am willing to bet that Giorgio cringes as much as anyone when viewing Jersey Shore.

I would give anything for you to be right about ownership; I honestly and truly would. However...

[​IMG]

MODS: In case the image is too large to leave up, here's the link: http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a60/MartenFox/AXAX.jpg

I detest A/X even more, now. ...However, the A/X site could be lying (curiously, the Copyright link on their site - or at least the page wherefrom I took this screenie - is broken - as of 07/19/2011).
    If I'm right, I've made a discovery, and I do hope Giorgio sues. ...And gives me credit. ...And a new suit. 44L, please. :)

9. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

D&G , Ed Hardy, Zara, Abercrombie Fitch , Tommy Hilfiger, Gap, YSL, Pierre Cardin, Church's and Alden..

10. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Damn...I love my (two whole) D&G shirts. They don't seem too tacky, just...like really nice button downs...

[​IMG]

11. Saturdays

Saturdays Senior member

damn OP ninja changed the thread title...this isn't even about Luxury brands anymore....

Okay if you want to play it that way:
    A|X, GAP, Hollister, A&F, American Eagle, Aeropostale, Ed hardy, Jones New York,Joseph A Bank

12. Jangofett

Jangofett Senior member

Have you told your Jewish friends not to wear Boss or drive Mercedes and not to bank in some of the Swiss Banks as well?

13. Jangofett

Jangofett Senior member

The fact that Giorgio does not sell in Hicksville, China does not mean he would not hate the pirates for effectively stealing from him.
    Plus his brand gets diluted and will suffer irreparable harm if Armani knock offs flood the market (insert your joke about how crappy Armani is) and people think that their knock off Armani suit for 100 RMB that falls apart after 1 wear is the real Armani.

Saw on the telly that some brands get so tired of raiding the counterfeiters who just set up a new base 1 second after being raided, they have to find new ways of dealing with the counterfeiters.

14. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

I read a story similar to that last year in the Shanghai Daily, about Gucci trying to get a factory which made knock-off handbags near Beijing closed down. They failed with copyright infringement or whatever, and had to settle for breach of fire regulations. Of course the factory just moved to another location. Rather like playing 'whack-a-mole'.

I've also heard of some situations where the same factories are making both genuine and fake products. Genuines go out the front door during the day, and replicas go out the back door at night. Probably because the factories are already tooled to make the products, e.g. handbags, shoes, shirts, suits, sunglasses, sneakers or whatever, and because of corruption.

The luxury brands may not be happy with the above situations, however they sure spend a large fortune on expensive high profile glossy advertising here to promote widespread consumer awareness of their brands and products. e.g. Armani, Burberry, LV, Rolex, Cartier, Zegna, Coach, Prada, etc.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    As @JeromeStyle so eloquently put it "Giorgio loves China and China loves Giorgio."

The rich buy the real-mccoy and the poor buy the knock-offs, that's how it is here.

BTW I'm rather puzzled about this large two story high Apple billboard in Xilinhot where I live. Because one can't actually buy Apple products in this city *, well apart from knock-off iPhones and iPods.
    [​IMG]
    Is Apple paying for this?

* Found this out when my Macbook Pro needed fixing, done it myself in the end.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011

15. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

Mods please delete this duplicate post due to an error with SF or Huddler.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011