Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Tissot on ebay...good deal? Plz hurry!!

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by migo, Jul 14, 2008.

1. migo

migo Senior member

I just found this while browsing ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Tissot-S...3286.m14.l1318

It seems like a good price (will be $60ish, I suppose). Is it a good deal or should I just get a $15 wind up timex? Seller is willing to refund, so I feel like it isn't too fishy. What do you guys think?

2. jkw

jkw Senior member

I quite like it. Remember that you'll have to buy a strap for it, and I'd probably replace the glass if it is really scratched. Doubt there's anything fishy about it. A decent watch at a good price... I'd probably snap it up at that price if it was here.

DISCLAIMER: I don't know much about the technical side of watches

3. Mustapha

Mustapha Senior member

Cool midcentury vibe to it. I'd buy it. Tell your watchmaker not to polish the case - original, even with scratches, is better.

4. migo

migo Senior member

is such an old watch repairable if anything goes wrong with it?

5. Mustapha

Mustapha Senior member

I found a man locally who repairs a variety of old clocks and watches and he has never returned a watch to me as unrepairable. There is quite the hobby out there of people collecting watches from this era; I have about six myself and all run without issues. I have given him a watch that stopped working after I dropped it. So, if you can find one of these guys locally you are in good shape.

I have also read that the materials in these old watch movements were made of a higher grade/harder steel less prone to wear.

6. Kaizen

Kaizen Senior member

is such an old watch repairable if anything goes wrong with it?

Whenever I've bought a vintage watch, I assume I'll need to take it to my watchmaker for a cleaning, adjustment, and probably minor repair work (unless I buy from a watchmaker who has already done this). That costs around $100-125. I picked up a very inexpensive non-working Elgin a while back because I liked the dial and hands. I think the cost to replace the movement ended up being just a little bit higher than that.

If you're willing to take a chance on the potential additional expense to get that watch in good running condition, and you like it, then I say to go for it.

7. Mustapha

Mustapha Senior member

I bought this off ebay. It's neat because it came with all the old materials. It was just a little over $200. plus another $75. to clean the movement. Longines is a great 'marque'. You can't loose if you come here first for advice.[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]