• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tiebar/clip with Waistcoat? Is that even a thing?

Fishbone

Reaction score
So I have been watching the show peaky blinders whereas the main character Tommy Shelby is wearing a tiebar with a waistcoat.

I have never heard about this way of dressing and have always thought that the only other addon to use when wearing a waistcoat is maybe and rarely a discreet tietack or tiepin, but never a tiebar.

Is there any historical basis or real-life examples of people wearing tiebars with waistcoats? Historically was that ever a thing? Are there exceptions to this rule such as during weddings(it was a wedding scene)? or is that purely a costume invention/mistake as part of the show Peaky Blinders.

tumblr_p853klrxN51ts15b0o1_1280.jpg

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So I have been watching the show peaky blinders whereas the main character Tommy Shelby is wearing a tiebar with a waistcoat.

I have never heard about this way of dressing and have always thought that the only other addon to use when wearing a waistcoat is maybe and rarely a discreet tietack or tiepin, but never a tiebar.

Is there any historical basis or real-life examples of people wearing tiebars with waistcoats? Historically was that ever a thing? Are there exceptions to this rule such as during weddings(it was a wedding scene)? or is that purely a costume invention/mistake as part of the show Peaky Blinders.

tumblr_p853klrxN51ts15b0o1_1280.jpg
I'm sure plenty of people have done this, for better or worse. Is it easy to come of as a try hard or make the outfit overly busy? Yes.
In that case it doesn't look overly busy, but it still is unnecessary.

Kiernan

Reaction score
Hello. We wear tie clips as a way to keep our tie in place, and from scrunching up, not because we want to look good. And yes, people use to wear them with suits all of the time, as It helps quite a bit when wearing a tie.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Worn like that the tie bar has zero function beyond the aesthetic.
I never wear a tie without a tie bar but I never wear a waistcoat and usually have the tie bar low enough so it doesn’t show when the jacket is fastened. This is the opposite of Peaky Blinders as for me it’s more about the function of keeping my tie out of my soup than showing off bling!

Last edited:

Kiernan

Reaction score
The tiebar keeps the tie from moving around and keeps it straightened. As somebody who dresses exactly like the Peaky Blinders, and has done quite the research on how people dressed in the 1900s-1940s, people did wear tiebars with suits, for the very purpose I have said, to keep it from moving, and to be straight. Other than when I do not wear a tie, just the detachable collar itself, I always wear a tie clip. It really helps.

nubirth

Reaction score
Do what you personally like. As far as myself, I would only wear a tie tack that high on a tie.

Kiernan

Reaction score
Of course, I do what I like, and you as well, but I am saying why people wear them with suits, as he asked.

WhereNext

Reaction score
I may be misinterpreting the OP, but I don't think the question is "tie bar with suits", it's "tie bar with waistcoat". I have no idea what the historical precedent might be, nor if there are any "rules" on the matter, but I would never wear a tie bar with a waistcoat. While I almost always wear a tie bar when wearing a tie and jacket/suit, I don't use a tie bar when wearing a tie with a waistcoat as the waistcoat accomplishes the task of holding my tie in place already. To me, when someone is wearing both, it seems like the tie equivalent of wearing belt and braces for your pants.
Of course, to each their own, etc. etc. etc.

Kiernan

Reaction score
Well, they are different. A waistcoats purpose is not to keep your tie in place, so wearing a waistcoat with a tie bar, is not as crazy as wearing braces with a belt. Braces and belts are made to hold up your trousers, whereas a waistcoat is not made to keep your tie in place, so wearing a tie bar does not change whether wearing a waistcoat or not. It keeps it in place, which just wearing a waistcoat, does not.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The tie bar can accomplish its' purpose being worn under the vest.
To me a tie bar worn above the vest looks dorky.

WhereNext

Reaction score
I would certainly agree that the purpose of a waistcoat is not to keep a tie in place; regardless, it still functions in that way, at least in the case of my ties and waistcoats. My ties need adjustment when wearing a waistcoat about as much as they need adjustment when wearing a tie clip/bar during the course of the day.
I suppose the tie would be even more secure if I used both simultaneously and that was a concern of mine; it's not. If tie stability is a concern for someone and/or they just like the look, more power to them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads