1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Tie Organization P0rn (A New Thread for Collectors)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by jrd617, Sep 28, 2012.

1. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Senior member

This gives me the chance to raise the issue and ask a question I've already asked before and never had much of a response. To those of you who have VAST clothing choices, what motivates your choice?

I have nowhere near the variety of some of the senior posters on here, but even from the modest selections available to me, on a summer day I can choose from white cotton picque SC, tan khaki SC, pin cord SC, seersucker SC, blue linen SC, tan linen SC, navy cotton blazer, etc. so what motivates those people with much bigger closets to make their choices, beyond either a feeling in their water or 'I haven't had this one on in a while'?

TC Houston stated that after his initial mistake of creating quantity in his closet, he more recently focused on quality, and trimmed back his collection aggressively to those items which he liked and wore the most, and I see myself following a similar path now. I've started by imposing a one out, one in policy, so hopefully only the quality will increase, not the quantity!

2. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

^
    There's an interesting thread about that, but I forgot the name and don't know how to search it... Maybe someone else remembers?

3. in stitches

in stitches Senior member

that is the beauty that is SF.

i think bouronbasted started it. i think the word materialism is in the title. ill try and find it.

for many its just about collecting things of beauty they appreciate, not all that different from art.

4. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

I'm not sure that's the one I meant. It was from last year, I think, or even a year before that. Lot of Vox in it too (but that won't help you in your search :)).

5. in stitches

oh, this is what i was referring to. not sure the thread you meant. as i think about it, this thread is not quite addressing the above topic of collecting things that may not really get much use.

a fine thread nonetheless.

The Ethos Of Consumerism And Luxury Consumption

Last edited: Oct 4, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  6. in stitches

jrd, i promised id get my ties up here for ya. so here they are, recently reorganized. thanks for providing the motivation for me to do so.

:cheers:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  7. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

Lovely collection, stitchy.

8. in stitches

why thank you, harvey. i hope to have a panta added to it by weeks end. :)

Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  9. diadem

diadem Senior member

Very nice collections, guys. One thing I'm noticing is a paucity of certain brands like Hermès, Vineyard Vines, DolcePunta, and Stefano Ricci. I'm new here, so pardon my ignorance. Maybe I've just been blinded by the Wall Street snobs I work with all day...

10. in stitches

umm, aside from maybe hermes, the SF snobs look down on most of those brands. there is better out there my friends, come and learn the ways. :)

1 person likes this.
  11. romafan

romafan Senior member

this of course has long been :foo: 's raison d'etre and cautionary dictum to all who embarked on the road to acquisition at full-throttle...

Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  12. in stitches

i made that mistake. and am paying for it as we speak. ah well, at least i have learned. :)

13. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member

Stitches,

I would fuck your tie collection.

Take that as you will.

(In all seriousness, I'm not a paraphiliac. Just letting you know my heart's in the right place)

14. LeviMay

LeviMay Senior member

This is the best thing I've read this week.

15. in stitches

:laugh:

glad you enjoyed!

16. staxringold

staxringold Senior member

Beautiful collection stitch! Is that just paper in regular drawers, or did you modify them any more than that?

The red one with little medallions, almost look like poker chips, in #2 is particularly catching my eye.

17. in stitches

thanks!

yup, just plain wrapping paper that came in a few shipped packages in recent clothing purchases. i cleaned out some dresser drawers that had useless crap in them, and lined them with the paper. viola!

if you mean the red one next to an identical orange one, they are both e. marinella.

---

ed - which 18 would you keep? 12 are on the way to luxeswap in the next week or so.

18. staxringold

staxringold Senior member

Very nice. I think I'll follow suit once I move to a place with actual extra dresser space. :happy:

And the new Marinellas are nice, but I was referring to the one a few more to the right, bigger medallions/whatever. Between the grey/silver and brown ones.

19. edmorel

edmorel Senior member

I was mistaken, only 21 I would sell (don't take this too literal, its just a difference in taste and if you like any I don't like, don't get rid of it just because)

first pic, left to right = 1,2,4,5,6,7,8,9,11
    second pic = 1,10,11,16
    third pic = 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10

20. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member

As far as what you should sell:

I would sex the entire first picture.

The second picture I'd probably take a pass on.

The third picture, the right half I'd hit sober, but for the whole package, I'd need a few drinks.