• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thrift Store Tips for the uninitiated -- add your best one

LooknGr8

Reaction score
I'm not a pro, I'm still learning. Would love some ideas from the pros who have gone before me.

I'll start with a few things I've learned from SF folks and by my own mistakes:

• Follow the money: Thrift stores that have the most well-off donors have the most Canali, Zegna, Golden Fleece, J. Press, Loro Piana, Brioni, HF, and other top end brands. Go to those cities/neighborhoods and hit every thrift store there. I envy you if you live near a town with an Ivy League school.
  • Look at every tie: Thrift stores tend to stash ties in weird places, sometimes multiple places. Check them all, even if you weren't coming in looking for a tie. In this way, Ferragamo, E. Marinella, and Canali ties made their way into my lineup...and some of them were hiding under a pile of polyester. Saks, Bloomingdales, Barney's also...
  • Ditto on the shoes: Such a spotty selection in most stores, you never find them when you need them. When I haven't been specifically seeking a pair of shoes, I've come out with things like AE's and Santonis that, once conditioned and polished, ended up looking fantastic.
  • Inspect every square inch of a garment. Excited over a label and blinded by its quality (and that it's in your size!) contrasted by the sea of Gap, Van Heusen, Stafford and Apt 9 and whatever other threadbare junk is on the rack, it's easy to miss a spot, tear, fray or other problem in a garment...and buy it, just to be pissed when you got it home when you realize it's unwearable, even if you did pony up for a pro repair. Caught myself yesterday almost buying a pair of paul stuart wool pants that had a giant fray down by the left cuff -- which actually inspired the idea to write this post.
  • Know your European sizes before you go in. For when you run into something awesome in an exotic brand on your lunch hour and don't have time to hit the dressing room.
  • Be open minded. Find something perfect -- and a hell of a deal -- except it's in a color you don't normally wear or a pattern you're not immediately enamored of? Get it anyway, and you'll find an outfit or new combination that will look great...sooner if not later.
  • Traveling and have a couple hours to kill (and access to a GPS unit?) This site has led me to countless awesome things: http://www.thethriftshopper.com/

Go!

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why would anyone share their secrets and create competition for themselves?

LooknGr8

Reaction score

Why would anyone share their secrets and create competition for themselves?

Excellent question!

I asked myself that before posting. Basically, I'm only one size, most stuff doesn't fit me. I can only go to some stores in a small region, so if there truly is "competition" it's in a very small region for a very limited number of garments.

But mostly, SF is a community that has given a lot to me in just half a year. This is one way I can give back to the Voxes and Spoos and J's etc (and you) who tirelessly post answers to all things sartorial. Thanks again!

LooknGr8

Reaction score

Nice write up. Also look in womans section for pocket squares, some places put them with the scarves

A good tip -- which reminds me: Men's suits & sport coats often end up miscategorized in the women's suits/outerwear sections for some reason. Worth checking if time permits or you find yourself in a store with enough upscale stuff that there might be treasures lurking.

Poindexter

Reaction score
If you're a 36 or smaller, or a S, don't forget to look in the womens' and kids'.

Look on the hooks in the fitting booths. This stuff looked good enough to try on.

Awesome jacket? Go look in the pants, the rest of the suit may be there!

Aaaand, rule one; don't get discouraged. Ninety nine point nine percent of everything you look at in a thrift will be schitte. The danger is getting numbed down so that golden piece flips by in the rack and you miss it. You're looking for the gold ring in a cubic mile of dirt.

Oh, don't look only in your size. Stuff is often missized, and assholes often file a desirable piece over in the wrong size to 'put it on reserve'.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads