• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thom Browne fights to stay out of bankruptcy

Jacques Cousteau

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
Also,

4) To support Thom.

Pretty sure that's covered in (3).

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by London
Just because you get loads of press, doesn't mean you're making money.
Exactly. As well, no doubt he spent a lot of money to get that press. Runway shows, models, photo shoots/magazine spreads, a flagship boutique, and getting celebs to be seen wearing your suit/watch/shoes costs a LOT of money. We'll see if the story turns out to be true, but I can't say I'll be surprised if he goes under. In the first place, most brands don't make much off of their clothes; most make it on their fragrances and bags. Thom just sells clothes and, at the end of the day, publicity and goofy styling aside, the proof is in the pudding. For Thom, that pudding was nice, simple basics and a slim Americana vibe... at unbelievably superlative prices. IMHO, I think the demographic and the pricepoint were out of line with the consumer who would normally like that kind of style. Very few mid 20's guys (SoCal or Foo aside) are in the realm of actually considering a $3000+ jacket or suit. Further, the older money crowd, wearing Vacca and Kiton and others at or beyond Thom's price point, would hardly be impressed with the styling and might have trouble fitting into it. So... who does that leave buying the stuff, except at drastic discount at Filene's or Off-Fifth?

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
Very few mid 20's guys (SoCal or Foo aside) are in the realm of actually considering a $3000+ jacket or suit.
I have to disagree with this, considering how many people I know that have $30,000+ cars that they've spent $10,000+ 'hotting up', I don't think that the cost is a problem for those who are enthusiastic about fashion. I think the problem is his style seems more like a gimmick than it does fine tailoring, people don't want to spend $3,000 on a party trick that is likely get old quickly. Proof of young people spending glorious amounts of money on fashion can be seen with the avant garde designers, the most popular example being Hedi Slimane's youth focused Dior Homme seasons that are so highly regarded by pretty much every kid on superfuture (not mocking dior btw). Ultimately people's interest just wasn't proportionate to the cost. I feel bad for Thom Browne but at the same time like with most things, there's the case of natural selection.

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
honestly in my opinion the answer is simple. He needs to produce awesome RTW and work in he novelty pieces so that he is still himself at the same time the mass public will be more interested in his wears.

chestercopperpot

Reaction score
I couldn't agree more...He needs to produce an affordable ready to wear line. None of this 1300 pants, and 2700 blazers. He's doing what Marc Jacobs has done and is pricing himself out of his use to be loyal buyers. When Rocco made the suits they were like 3k now they are 4800 (being made by Oxxford) I mean c'mon! An 1800 increase for a suit in this economy?

Thom is so stubborn though when it comes to his line. He HAS to use the best fabrics on earth, Holland & Sherry etc etc. If he keeps this up his company is going to fold.

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
chestercopperpot- its a bootytrap.
he doesn't always use the best fabrics I know this for fact.
He is capable and is very talented but if he remains stubborn his ego will crush him.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Re: the idea of TB branching out with a diffusion line...

This is BB BF, sorta. Many people think of it as 'his' though he is just a designer with a contract.

I wonder if any contract clause prevents him from launching something similar under his own name.

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good riddance. The closest I've ever come to the Thom Browne asthetic was trying to put on a normal-sized condom.

chestercopperpot

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mauro
chestercopperpot- its a bootytrap.
he doesn't always use the best fabrics I know this for fact.
He is capable and is very talented but if he remains stubborn his ego will crush him.

i know i'm super worried...it would be a bummer to see him go. I like his stuff but i just want to be able to afford it!

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chestercopperpot
i know i'm super worried...it would be a bummer to see him go. I like his stuff but i just want to be able to afford it!
I'd hate to see his stuff go. I like a lot of it and it fits me well.

Biscotti

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by XenoX101
I have to disagree with this, considering how many people I know that have $30,000+ cars that they've spent $10,000+ 'hotting up', I don't think that the cost is a problem for those who are enthusiastic about fashion. I think the problem is his style seems more like a gimmick than it does fine tailoring, people don't want to spend $3,000 on a party trick that is likely get old quickly.

Proof of young people spending glorious amounts of money on fashion can be seen with the avant garde designers, the most popular example being Hedi Slimane's youth focused Dior Homme seasons that are so highly regarded by pretty much every kid on superfuture (not mocking dior btw).

Ultimately people's interest just wasn't proportionate to the cost. I feel bad for Thom Browne but at the same time like with most things, there's the case of natural selection.

Dior makes a ton of money off other things than their suits! Think sunglasses, skincare, purses, etc, etc. Also there is a huge difference between buying a $300 Dior jean and a $3000 thom blazer.

I do not think you know what your talking about.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads