• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thinking of ditching my 328i for a car half the price...Recommendations???????

Dashaansafin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How can your 328i sell for 40k? Isnt base price 33k?

Invicta

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dashaansafin
How can your 328i sell for 40k? Isnt base price 33k?

Canadian$ and Canadian pricing

Mazdaspeed3 is a favorite among the auto rags. I took my friends WRX STI for a drive out near Great Falls in Virginia and damn if that wasn't fun. The Mutsubishi Evo is of course the ultimate budget supercar. Prices on the Mitsu and STI are creeping up here in the states both are just over $40k, Mazdazpeed3 is just under $24k new.

Mountains

Reaction score
Have you considered a Subaru Impreza (or maybe a Legacy)? I have an oldish (2006) Subaru Outback that I absolutely love.

Sherman90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mountains
Have you considered a Subaru Impreza (or maybe a Legacy)? I have an oldish (2006) Subaru Outback that I absolutely love.

There are just certain brand names I can't conceive of driving. Suberu, Mitsubishi, and Ford are just some of them.

Am I an idiot for discounting these guys, or is there a reason why they've never managed to build a name for themselves (or in the case of Ford, built the very first name and then ruined it)?

Invicta

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sherman90
There are just certain brand names I can't conceive of driving. Suberu, Mitsubishi, and Ford are just some of them.

Am I an idiot for discounting these guys, or is there a reason why they've never managed to build a name for themselves (or in the case of Ford, built the very first name and then ruined it)?

Short answer, yes, at least for Subaru and Mitsubishi.

Sherman90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Invicta
Short answer, yes, at least for Subaru and Mitsubishi.
Innnnteerrrreeessssting. I'll still never end up at a Suberu dealership; and if I did, I'd probably walk through the doors looking like
uhoh.gif
or
foo.gif

Mountains

Reaction score
Huh. The Subaru Legacy is actually the top-selling vehicle in my state.

bmf895

Reaction score
Hands down you should buy an 8th generation civic (2006+). They're moderately priced, ultra reliable, and the sedan has similar lines to a BMW 3-series. I love mine! The EX models offer sunroof, leather, navigation, etc. What more could you want? Why pay $10K+ more for a "luxury" car that is probably less reliable and more expensive to fix?

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Subaru is a brilliant company let down entirely by absolute crap styling. Their only one bright spot is the STi. Mitsu's, in my experience, are unreliable - but this was back in the early 90s when I had a 3000GT (a terrible car in every way).

eqpablon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bmf895
Hands down you should buy an 8th generation civic (2006+). They're moderately priced, ultra reliable, and the sedan has similar lines to a BMW 3-series. I love mine! The EX models offer sunroof, leather, navigation, etc. What more could you want? Why pay $10K+ more for a "luxury" car that is probably less reliable and more expensive to fix?

Listen to this man. You two seem to be of similar mind. Buy a civic, drive it until the wheels fall off.

To address why some of us would pay $10K+ more for a "luxury" car... we do so because we can
smile.gif
. For you value seekers, driving a Honda Civic until the wheels fall off is the answer.

celery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sherman90
Innnnteerrrreeessssting. I'll still never end up at a Suberu dealership; and if I did, I'd probably walk through the doors looking like
uhoh.gif
or
foo.gif

I had an Impreza, and it was amazingly fun to drive. Not to mention AWD means easy to drive in slick conditions and great grip on dry tarmac for speedy turns.

Of course, it was a speeding ticket magnet . . . well for someone who speeds. A lot. I'm a bad person.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1, especially for Toronto winters, the Impreza would be much better than the bimmer as well.

bmf895

Reaction score
Originally Posted by eqpablon
Listen to this man. You two seem to be of similar mind. Buy a civic, drive it until the wheels fall off.

To address why some of us would pay $10K+ more for a "luxury" car... we do so because we can
smile.gif
. For you value seekers, driving a Honda Civic until the wheels fall off is the answer.

Fair enough. Different strokes for different folks. For me, I want a car to get me from point A to point B with the least amount of headaches as possible. My solution was a Honda that didn't break the bank. While not the cheapest option, Honda's reliable track record gives me piece of mind. If others want to pay $50K for wipers on their headlights, more power to them.

On a slightly different tune, one can only dream of the day when cars aren't needed because dense cities with efficient public transportation are plentiful and people live close to where they work. The automobile (and racism--read white flight) spurred the demise of America's once great urban centers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads