• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thinking of ditching my 328i for a car half the price...Recommendations???????

r...

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CDFS
Basically, you ask if you should take $15.000 free spending money and still not be inconvenienced in any meaningful way?

Mmmh.

LOL, I read this thread as "Hey guys, I have no idea if 15k is worth anything"...

Sherman90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by r...
LOL, I read this thread as "Hey guys, I have no idea if 15k is worth anything"...

Well, I guess I should have rephrased that as: "I wonder if $15,000k is worth moving from a fully warranted, relatively new BMW to a potentially unwarrantied, less ..."

ffffuuuu.gif

Whatever. I'll figure it out.

r...

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sherman90
Well, I guess I should have rephrased that as: "I wonder if $15,000k is worth moving from a fully warranted, relatively new BMW to a potentially unwarrantied, less ..."

ffffuuuu.gif

Whatever. I'll figure it out.

Purchasing a used car from a dealership usually comes with the option of purchasing an extended/ bumper to bumper/ "x" miles warranty as well. And if you dont want to keep the BMW anyway, I dont see a reason for keeping it any longer while it depreciates.

True Story: I just financed a car for 15k last week. I will be making payments on it long after the current Pope has died and next one is on his deathbed. 15k is worth quite a bit, its all relative I suppose.

eqpablon

Reaction score
I've got a gorgeous 328i Coupe that I just can't fall in love with. Or maybe it's that I just don't love her enough to justify keeping so much money wrapped up in her. Point is, I've concluded that driving ma's '02 barebones Civic is just fine with me. In fact, in some ways I prefer riding around in a reliable beater than a slick German liability.

Anyway, assuming I can sell the vehicle for about $40,000 (I'm in Canada), what do you guys think I should look into as an alternative @ ~$20,000? I've got nothing specific in mind, and can do either used or new. I was thinking a used TSX or TL, or even an older Bimmer - like an e46? But there's so much out there I thought I'd ask around first...

Cheers, mates.

Sounds like you are looking for reliability and value. Based on that you should be looking at 1-2 year old Honda's, Mazda's, Fords, etc. Buy something like that and drive it until the wheels fall off. That is the best (only) way to get a good value from a vehicle purchase.

Getting a used BMW won't get you good value or reliability compared to the Honda Civic you mentioned in the OP. The Acura might get you comparable reliability but not comparable value over time.

You don't buy BMW's for value
teacha.gif

BrianVarick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You want a reliable beater to replace your Bimmer, and you think an older Bimmer is a good replacemement?

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How much did you pay and how long have you had it? Presumably you've already taken a good hit on depreciation.....

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BrianVarick
You want a reliable beater to replace your Bimmer, and you think an older Bimmer is a good replacemement?

They are.

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
MazdaSpeed 3's been getting good reviews. From what I hear, your grin will match the car's while driving it.

If the new Ford Fiesta or Focus are anything like the ones they have in Europe, they might be worth looking into. Don't know when exactly they will be available in North America.

Sherman90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Many thanks, gentlemen. I've listed the BMW on Cragislist and Kijiji. Not dead-set enough to put it up on AutoTrader yet, but I'll certainly entertain serious buyers.

I've been poking around and like the look/presumed value of an '08-'09 VW GTI. Good size for a lad my age, probably drives fun, and not at all ostentatious like the black/black/black 328i I drive. Although I've got to say, since the sun came out a few days ago I've been having a great ol' douche of a time cruising through the Toronto streets.

I will probably never buy a Ford.

dave

Reaction score
in all seriousness, be sure to factor dealership experience in your consideration. I recently did the same thing.

I just returned a Cadillac off lease and bought a Mini Cooper S. I know it's a BMW dealership and I will get decent service when i take my car in, but it wont be anything on the level of what I received from the Caddy guys. It's a major part of my consideration to give this car to my GF come summer when the new CTSV coupe comes out.

When I needed service, anything from a simple oil change to any warranty issues, I just called my service manager and he'd send someone to my home or office to pick it up and leave a loaner for me. I asked about that when i purchased the Mini and they don't even offer the service. You can't even pay extra for it.

Luxury cars have luxury service departments. Economy cars have economy service departments.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've been poking around and like the look/presumed value of an '08-'09 VW GTI.
Good choice, IMO. I had one many years back, and loved it.

Sherman90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dave
in all seriousness, be sure to factor dealership experience in your consideration. I recently did the same thing. I just returned a Cadillac off lease and bought a Mini Cooper S. I know it's a BMW dealership and I will get decent service when i take my car in, but it wont be anything on the level of what I received from the Caddy guys. It's a major part of my consideration to give this car to my GF come summer when the new CTSV coupe comes out. When I needed service, anything from a simple oil change to any warranty issues, I just called my service manager and he'd send someone to my home or office to pick it up and leave a loaner for me. I asked about that when i purchased the Mini and they don't even offer the service. You can't even pay extra for it. Luxury cars have luxury service departments. Economy cars have economy service departments.
I'm not sure if I read this correctly, but BMW provides awesome service. Whenever an electronic service light comes on, I just zip over to my local dealership, perched high atop a hill in a swanky neighbourhood, and pull right into their garage. They do most of the work on the spot within 5 minutes, or else book me for a service with a shuttle to drop me home or a free loaner if it will take a few days. Plus, there are always espressos and attractive secretaries and cars to look at if I ever decide to wait at the dealership
bounce2.gif
I'm going to visit a VW and Honda dealership this weekend and take the GTI and a few Civics/Fits/maybe even Accords out for a test run. I think I'd enjoy something even smaller and peppier than the 3-series, which is a REAL MAN'S car. I'm not a real man. Will keep you posted. So far, no nibbles at my 328i ad. The price is on the high end and, incidentally, $5k above what I bought it for last year. (I got an awesome cash price from a dealership at the peak of the recession). If it does sell, it'll probably be for exactly what I bought it, less taxes - at that price, it's still a steal in the Toronto market.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads