1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Things your dumb friends post on facebook

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by musicguy, May 10, 2011.

1. Biscotti

Biscotti Senior member

2. donjuan17

donjuan17 Senior member

3. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

he gives himself too much credit. I bet he went down in the first wave, speared in the asshole by one of Saladin's finest

2 people like this.
  4. MrG

MrG Senior member

One of my friends, who has apparently decided to be proudly "childfree," posted a sanctimonious HuffPo article where the author goes on about how poorly she's been treated because she doesn't wish to have children. The friend's comment on the article was "amen!" Said friend immediately (literally a minute later) followed that up with a picture that illustrates how dogs express their emotions, captioned with a reference to her dogs as her "girls."

This is the same friend who had a puppy sip-and-see, and, upon adopting a new dog earlier this year, posted more pictures of it in six weeks than I have posted of my child since he was born about three years ago.

Here's the thing: It's cool if you don't want to have kids. I get it. You've ostensibly done the cost-benefit analysis and decided that it's just not the best decision for you. Had certain things in my life not gone the way they did, it's entirely possible I'd have done the same thing. However, if you make that choice, embrace it. You don't get to be all uppity about your decision to buck convention and not breed only to patently shift your maternal instincts (which you loudly claim to not have at every opportunity) onto your pets.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  5. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

Yeah, people are dumb. My greenfrog and I don't want kids, but I don't see a need to be self-righteous about it and pat yourself on the back. Honestly, if anything, I'm ambivalent leaning toward slightly guilty. Not that I think having kids is the be all end all of life (I doubt most parents feel that way), but I do think it's an obviously major brick in the house of life.

Every time I spend the weekend with my sister, her hubby, and their 3 kids I have mixed feelings. Mostly by Friday I'm thinking kids would be okay and by Saturday I'm thinking ZOMG no kids plz.

6. MrG

MrG Senior member

Agreed. I know that some parents can be dillholes about people who choose not to have kids, but that doesn't justify doing the same thing regarding not having them. We all just need to agree we don't really care what other people do.

Honestly, I think the ambivalence/guilt you're talking about is part of what drives this friend. A few years back, she got into a relationship with a guy, and she has definitely taken on more of his traits than he hers. One of his traits is a pretty iron-clad "I don't want kids attitude," which is something I think she was much more mixed on. I suspect the combativeness and victimhood combined with turning her dogs into human-child proxies are a subconscious response to that situation. I'm not implying that she needs to have children to be happy, but I think she's a lot less secure in the decision than she lets on.

:laugh:

It's all a question of what you're acclimatized to being around. I do the same thing when I spend time with people who have a bunch of kids. An example: A couple with whom MrsG and I are close (almost like family) came to visit last winter. This couple has four children under the age of five, including twin boys who weren't quite one at the time. We were truly grateful that they came to visit, especially in light of how much of a hassle it is for all six of them to travel. Still, by the end of the weekend, it was basically "GTFO OUT OF MY HOME WITH YOUR INSANITY!!!"

7. Douglas

Douglas Senior member

:confused:

"ignorant catholic" or "proud buddhist" would have worked there, but i'm not sure about "proud catholic."

8. JohnGalt

JohnGalt Senior member

someone has taken an SF relationship to the next level

2 people like this.
  9. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

i know i'm getting old when my friends from high school start having babies on purpose.

2 people like this.
  10. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

I think the kids/no kids thing is a pretty complicated topic and do think some childfree couples are almost like militant atheists. However I can tell you first hand many people seem to think couples with no kids do not deserve the same life they do. When I was first coming up and held line positions I cannot think of how many occasions I was told something to the effect of, "They have scheduled you to be off on Xmas. Since you don't have kids trade with me so I can have it off." Seriously, fuck you, my family and friends mean as much to me as yours do even though we do not have kids.

1 person likes this.
  11. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

The rule on this kids/no kids thing is, as always, don't be a self-centered asshole and we'll all get along. But of course, the self-centered assholes on both sides of the fence can't help being self-centered assholes

2 people like this.
  12. MrG

MrG Senior member

Funny you should mention militant atheists, Piob. The boyfriend in said relationship is the very archetype of militant atheism. He really is a nice guy, and we get along well, but, man, he's like another person when it comes to (non)belief. I wonder if that attitude feeds into the no-kids thing.

I don't mean to imply that all people without kids are d-bags about it any more than I think people with kids are all d-bags to people without them, but the blatant hypocrisy and lack of self awareness were just too much for me to ignore.

People without kids do get the short end of the stick in a lot of situations where parents can play the "but I have kids" card, and that's not fair. There are things parents are going to have/want to deal with that people without kids will not, but there still has to be some sense of equity.

1 person likes this.
  13. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

i end up spending a lot more time physically in the office than others because I don't have kids to drop off at their first day of school. this results in me inevitably doing more of their work, which sucks. it's like when I worked in retail in high school, and I always ended up with fewer breaks because I didn't have to go outside to smoke.

1 person likes this.
  14. Douglas

Douglas Senior member

I rarely encounter militant pro- or anti-kid sentiment in the real world. Even on FB I don't see it. Maybe it's just my group of friends.

I do note a lot of anti-kid sentiment on SF, though, and in the dumbass blogosphere (like on those jezebel sites). Soooooo much complaining about people's baby photos "polluting" up their FB feeds. It's what people with kids do; get over it or unfriend us.

15. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

of all my FB friends, 2 are vegans, and they're ALWAYS shitting up my news feed by noting that the quinoa salad they just bought is #VEGAN and that their ice water with lemon is #VEGAN. Drives me nuts, but I can't unfriend one for family reasons. And that is also why I've taken to twitter for my vegan bashing, that riles up fewer people but still leaves me satisfied.

16. Douglas

Douglas Senior member

you can always unsubscribe from their posts.

vegans are twats though. surely all reasonable people can agree to that.

1 person likes this.
  17. MrG

MrG Senior member

I think that's where company leave and review policies should come into play. If the people you're talking about have the leave time to be away, it really shouldn't matter why they're away. In addition, if they're not doing their job because they're away so much, that should come up at their review. My boss is fantastic about letting me do what I need to do when it comes to my family, but that doesn't mean I can shirk my responsibilities because I'm a parent. There are still expectations and policies in place that I have to abide by.

It's probably because I have a subset of friends who tend to be members of the proud progressive set, but it's actually kind of surprising how frequently I see references to the trials of remaining childfree. It's not a constant barrage, but it's definitely a thing.

Agreed on the tiresomeness of constant whining about kids and parents. I chalk that up to entitlement.

18. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

I'm planning on getting my tubes tied within the next few years. Can you imagine me as a father? :eek:

19. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

I don't mind the barrage of pics usually. My niece and nephews, lowercaseg, and stitches kids are cute so it's all good (no creep). My friend from HS though had a kid in January and it is ugly as sin. Looks like a vulture. Takes after my friend. COT DAM that kid is ugly. That's when the 35 pictures a day get annoying.

But it's no more annoying than 25 ur old women that post 15 selfies a week, people that post 20 bitstrip cartoons a day, and I imagine seeing me post 15 beer related updates a week is annoying to most.

So basically we're all douchebags and we're all too willing to tell other people about it.

20. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

I see it intermittently, but I think you're probably right that the folks I see posting stuff like that on FB are often re-posters of jezebel-type stuff.
    And while this isn't exclusively the case, my sense is that the folks who tend to post stuff angrily telling us to stop judging them for not having kids are most often my 35-50 single female friends and acquaintances who also post frequently about how they're OK with their bodies and people should stop judging them (that is, when they're not alternating between "why can't I lose weight when I do Pilates four times a week?" posts and "OMG the cheesecake at Restaurant X is so good, the calories don't count when your parents pay for the meal, right?" posts or between "Men are all immature jerks who need to shut up with their constant mansplaining" posts and "Another typical Saturday night for me and the cat: trying to figure out how to stop the smoke alarm from chirping when we're both shorter than 5'2", don't own a ladder, and aren't expecting a tall, chivalrous guy to show up unexpectedly" posts)

This. Gome, is somebody actually telling you that you need to be in the office more than they do because you're not a parent, or do you just not feel OK about affording yourself the same schedule flexibility that they do?