1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Things your dumb friends post on facebook

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by musicguy, May 10, 2011.

1. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

Anyway, baby pics, selfies, cartoons, white trash grandma recipes, I can handle it all. But I pray to God every day I never have to see another pic of FLMM in his underwear.

4 people like this.
  2. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Check your PMs.

1 person likes this.
  3. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

not actuall told, it's more that it's just what happens when somebody is not physically present and deadlines are here. I'm generally ok with it, but that doesn't mean it doesn't suck at times. It's never scheduled leave time or anything.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  4. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

I welcome the beer pictures with open arms!!! I've hidden many female friends from my timeline over too many baby pics or selfies of them working out.

5. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

i don't mind the barrage of kid or dog pics either, most of my friends are pretty reasonable about it. Thankfully, none of their kids look like vultures.

the only posts that actually annoy me is the previously mentioned #VEGAN and this one girl who used to constantly post that it's 4 am and she's at the gym because it's so important to have a hard workout. She later graduated to posting pictures of her lifting AT the gym, and that was cause for defriending.

I also have one friend who constantly posts about guns. I mean, whatever, but the day either of or just after that school shooting, he posted about how stressed he was and how important it was to go shooting (he meant at the range). Too soon.

I also have one friend who posts about his ventures into a medical career. He's 28 and still isn't in med school. That shit entertains me.

6. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

I think a lot of people spend a lot of time trying to convince their self's that the life they are living is great but they are not so sure. I suspect this has been taking place for centuries but now that we have FB this self-dialogue of assurance manifests for everyone to see.

My only younger sibling, my younger sister (the creationist that belongs to a splinter Baptist fundie church) sent a pic of her kid and it was nice to see he's growing up to look normal.

7. MrG

MrG Senior member

On This Lonely Road, Tryin' to Make it Home

:laugh:

Ha. I appreciate the compliment, but now I feel immense pressure to make sure the pending child is cute!

WRT Facebook and barrages of anything, it's really a matter of moderating it. I like seeing my friends' kids, life events, and so on, and when something big happens in a friend's life, I expect to see a bunch of stuff on Facebook about it. I mean, keeping some sort of contact with these people is pretty much the entire reason social networking exists. The problem is when it gets out of control. You bought a house/had a kid/have an opinion on current events/graduated from ITT Tech? Awesome! Throw some pictures up there, and toss one up every now and again so we know how much you're loving your house/kid/politician/tech support job. However, I don't need perpetual documentation of every little tiny thing that happens.

Also, the single most annoying Facebook poster I know is my divorced, two-kid-having, 20-something, kinda-white-trash cousin who has apparently subscribed to every single meme-manufacturing page on Facebook solely so that she can share it with the rest of us. I have gleaned from her posts that being a divorcee (who still somehow doesn't need to work for money) raising two children who are, oddly, both horrifically behaved and the greatest children ever does not preclude one from having an enormous amount of time to post inane shit to Facebook.

:uhoh:

I still have nightmares about that.

8. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

lol. One of my moms friends had a severely cross eyed baby and they had pictures of it all over their house. I get it, because it's her kid and she loved it, but man was it freaking looking and baby wall-eyes all over the place.

9. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

I just hid another girl friend who has felt the need to repost inspirational single mom memes or whatever you wanna call them and her 2 week long streak of posting workout selfies at 6am.

i'd rather see pictures of her kid than her.

10. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

inspirational memes are almost always annoying. I'll see women post shit like "appreciate your wife - she is the apple of your eye and the leader of the household" and I'll just think to myself "looks like Kelly and Brad are arguing again".

11. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

"If you can't handle me at my worst, you don't deserve me at my best." If a woman posts that there's a 105% chance she is an awful cunt.

6 people like this.
  12. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

oh shit, my annoying "selfies while working out" female friend posted this at least 2-3 times. She would be example 1.A for "douchy cunt" in the dictionary.

13. MrG

MrG Senior member

On This Lonely Road, Tryin' to Make it Home
    Your friends are amateurs. That's so played out on the meme-posting circuit.

Some recent favorites from my cousin (all from reposted pictures):

And my personal favorite:

My wife actually spoke up on that last one (I guess she couldn't take it anymore). Something along the lines of, "only if that's who you choose to be married to..." I was very :bigstar:.

3 people like this.
  14. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

I don't think I've ever seen a guy make a post of the sort "Yeah, I sometimes treat the people I love in really shitty ways, but if you can't deal with it you don't even deserve to be with me sucka!!" I think it would come off as ridiculous. As it should when women post it.

15. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

"if you can't deal with the occasional verbal abuse and belittlings, then you don't deserve to have this dick in you"

16. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

Yes because nobody tells men that their penis is an amazing treasure that they should use to get whatever they want.

17. otc

otc Senior member

I had to look up what these are...god damn that sounds annoying.

Sometimes its more like...you feel that you need a valid excuse to come in late/leave early like that. Saying "My kids have to..." ties that excuse to another person and a schedule you can't change. Saying "I want to go to this cool commercial butcher shop on the other side of town that closes at 5" sounds pretty non-essential. It sucks, since it is your life and your leave time, but people are more forgiving of things that sound forced or unpleasant than things that sound fun. People without kids have a lot less excuses that they can make sound like burdens.

I have seen a dude post a photo of chris brown with the "If you can't handle me at my worst, you don't deserve me at my best" quote. So there's that...

18. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

Maybe I just don't pay attention, but of those people who post "don't judge me!" statuses, I can find zero FB evidence of anyone judging them. Although there is about an 80% chance that their don't judge me post will be immediately followed by them judging someone else

1 person likes this.
  19. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

Yeah I think it's mostly sublimated guilt.

20. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

I'm not sure how specifically American this tendency is, but I notice that lots of people really need to think of themselves as having been subjected to unfair judgments. It's like when the overwhelming favorite wins a championship in sports; in the postgame interviews you always hear the winners saying "Everyone was saying we couldn't do it! We proved all the haters wrong!" Hardly anyone was saying they couldn't do it.