• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Question for the lawyers:

Parties A and B agree on a contract. Party B is responsible for printing the contracts for signatures, but before printing them changes the contract without informing Party A. A doesn't catch the change and signs the contract.

Is A screwed? Or is there an argument that there wasn't a meeting of the minds because one party unilaterally changed the contract without informing the other party?

(This may or may not be related to my landlord situation.)

The answer to almost every legal question is "it depends." In your scenario you are likely stuck with the written terms. The rule is called the parol evidence rule.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Might there not be a claim for bad faith? I guess the issue would be proving the contract was covertly altered.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the amount at stake is under the limit in your state, take her to small claims court. That's basically always just "he said - she said" and the judge may find you sympathetic, especially if you have documented her serial negligence to this point.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If the amount at stake is under the limit in your state, take her to small claims court. That's basically always just "he said - she said" and the judge may find you sympathetic, especially if you have documented her serial negligence to this point.
Yeah this is the problem. The amount is kind of "not worth the hassle," but the "not worth its" are starting to add up.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah this is the problem. The amount is kind of "not worth the hassle," but the "not worth its" are starting to add up.
As a landlord, and a frequent Judge Judy viewer, you are responsible for knowing what you sign. If you have signed copies that differ from theirs, then it's game on though.
Just don't say "actually" or "like" in court...
Those are throwaway words, sir.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
As a landlord, and a frequent Judge Judy viewer, you are responsible for knowing what you sign. If you have signed copies that differ from theirs, then it's game on though.
And don't scowl as much as the judge.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Like, whatever.

There's another angle to attack this, though. There are certain non-waivable responsibilities landlords have, and I believe this might be one. Already called the AG office's help line, but the best they could say is "it sounds excessive, but we can't make that judgment."

The question is whether it's worth fighting at all.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah, this is such a frustrating situation. What I want to do is send her a list of the repairs she needs to make but doesn't think she has to because the lease says we're responsible for "minor repairs" (once again, "duties of the landlord cannot be waived"). This is not trivial/petty ****, so if she refuses to make them, I call a housing inspector. I know this will trigger a fight that probably ends with me losing my security deposit, though. (I may be able to fight that in small claims court, but is it worth it?)

I know I'm right, but I don't know if it's worth the fight. It's annoying as hell how much horrible landlords can get away with just because it's not worth the effort fighting.

I just want to get out of here but I don't want to move twice, and I'm apprehensive about the housing market right now.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Back when i lived in LA, my wife found some CA housing regs/dispute process where in essence, for certain significant issues (ours was roaches), you can withhold your rent payment in escrow until the landlord cured the condition. You could not be evicted for doing this. Don’t know if all states have that.

As an aside, our landlord was actually a relative (cousin’s husband) of hers. He was a world class ************* that ended up doing time and got killed after he got out of prison. I decided to hang out with him and his friends once and he got them all to run out and stick me with the bill as a sort of ‘hazing ritual for the young dude’. GRTPOS

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Back when i lived in LA, my wife found some CA housing regs/dispute process where in essence, for certain significant issues (ours was roaches), you can withhold your rent payment in escrow until the landlord cured the condition. You could not be evicted for doing this. Don’t know if all states have that.

As an aside, our landlord was actually a relative (cousin’s husband) of hers. He was a world class ************* that ended up doing time and got killed after he got out of prison. I decided to hang out with him and his friends once and he got them all to run out and stick me with the bill as a sort of ‘hazing ritual for the young dude’. GRTPOS
How much was the bill?

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member