• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

It really does take a warped sense of self worth to believe that most of us have the ability to go around changing lives at will.

Not for me.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I can't imagine not enjoying some time away out in the country. Last Saturday, I drove, by myself, down to a local national forest and spent some time driving the Forest Service "roads," stopping every so often to get out, look around, and scout place I could camp later on. I didn't see but maybe three cars for hours, and went at least one hour-plus stretch without seeing another soul. It was magnificent.

where'd you go?

A Canuker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

yeah, the last time I was unemployed, my landlord offered me 100 bucks off the rent to clean out his garage. what the **** better thing did I have to do that day? so I did it.

my sister hasn't held a job for more than 2 years ever, she's a rabbi, and got out of rabinical school more than 10 years ago, she's had 5 jobs since then, from 1 to 2 years each, with maybe 2-3 years of unemployment in the middle. she's 50 500K 500K in student debt. she still thinks that she could be the head rabbi on one hte bigger/better synagogues in the country, and she acts like that is just around the corner. she's looking now, and she constantly bitches about how hard and humiliating the interviews are, and how disorganized the hiring teams are, how little they know about what she is supposed to do, the process, etc.

Wow, that is a huge hurdle to get over. I can't imagine the stress that she must have, how does she just live? Doesn't the repayment kill anything she earns?

It really does take a warped sense of self worth to believe that most of us have the ability to go around changing lives at will.

HMMM. I tend to think that we have more of an effect on each other than that - but at the same time it's more likely to come from unintentional actions meeting the right time or situation. But pulling off a conscious, intentional, dramatic Pygmalion-type transformation is profoundly unlikely for even the best of us.

The only thing I think I could "adjust" is the kids and pointing them in the right direction. Act well and they might follow, I hope.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I changed five people's lives before lunch today.

Not necessarily for the better but still...

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

:laugh:

I said something along the lines of, "I'm not nearly arrogant enough to think I change the lives of people on a daily basis. I think if you really change a person's life two or three times in your life you are doing awesome." She was quite taken back, had no response, and just changed the subject. Pretentious *****. Probably had motivational posters on the ceiling over her bed.

Was she a nurse at some point in her career?

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Definitely agree with Thomas and AC - I was thinking more conscious, intentional change, rather than incidental, or passive, stuff. The former is what I think requires the warped self worth. Also, parenthood is a great chance to leave a positive legacy, for sure.

Yeah, I'd enjoy this. I need pretty regular time in the woods to decompress. Can't wait for summer so I can start hiking again.

It was great. Most of the places I went could have been accessed with a car, but there were a couple spots that had me grateful for my Jeep, especially since it'd rained recently.

The solitude was awesome, and I'm looking forward to camping down there when it's a bit warmer. There are actually a lot of national forests within about 1.5 hours of me, so I think I'm going to make exploring them more of a habit.

where'd you go?

I did a small part of the Oconee National Forest around Greensboro. There were so many little offshoot trails that I didn't cover much geography, but I'm hoping to head down there again soon and see what else I can find.

Last edited:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Was she a nurse at some point in her career?

I would love to say, "Yes" but I really cannot remember. For some reason I'm thinking social worker...but I cannot see one getting to be CEO of a large multi-state company.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Definitely agree with Thomas and AC - I was thinking more conscious, intentional change, rather than incidental, or passive, stuff. The former is what I think requires the warped self worth. Also, parenthood is a great chance to leave a positive legacy, for sure.
It was great. Most of the places I went could have been accessed with a car, but there were a couple spots that had me grateful for my Jeep, especially since it'd rained recently.

The solitude was awesome, and I'm looking forward to camping down there when it's a bit warmer. There are actually a lot of national forests within about 1.5 hours of me, so I think I'm going to make exploring them more of a habit.
I did a small part of the Oconee National Forest around Greensboro. There were so many little offshoot trails that I didn't cover much geography, but I'm hoping to head down there again soon and see what else I can find.

Very nice.

I live in New York, so it's a bit harder as I don't own a car. There is some nice day hiking accessible by public transit, but every summer I wish I had a car so I could really get away from the crowds.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I went to a best buy in the city out of curiosity the other day. What a dump!

Its no wonder these guys are failing. The inside was drearier than a microcenter, but they had maybe a quarter of the inventory of a microcenter and their sales staff sounded even dumber than I last remember. As far as I can tell, best buy only still exists as a place for the uninformed to go and direct questions to the uneducated.

Everything they sell is better purchased online (even from best buys own website where the product description and reviews are more informative than the employees), and if you are in a pinch and need something immediately, hopefully you live in a city with a microcenter where the employees are more helpful and they won't **** you for $20 on an 15ft Ethernet cable.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Very nice.

I live in New York, so it's a bit harder as I don't own a car. There is some nice day hiking accessible by public transit, but every summer I wish I had a car so I could really get away from the crowds.

get a motorcycle.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
What the hell is a microcenter?

donjuan17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Its what your girlfriend calls your

bounce2.gif

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

I disagree. I think the way you act every day has the power to make lives better or worse. It is why I smile and greet everyone I meet with respect. And I think it makes people feel better.

Exponentially moreso if you are in a position of authority. I mean, is someone going to wake up one morning a changed person because of something I did today? Obviously not. But if the way I conduct my affairs is consistent and honest and right, it does affect the lives of everyone who works for me and relies on this company for their livelihood and ability to provide for their families.

Maybe the interview question was trite, but I highly doubt it was intended in an arrogant or nasty way. The asker probably did have a motivational poster somewhere and maybe saw the question as a jumping off point. Perhaps it wasn't a good fit culturally for the Piob, but I don't think it was cause to call her arrogant.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads