• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score

******* girlfriend wants to go a on a "weekend getaway" as if that isn't torturous enough her idea of the weekend is 5 days. Now, I am going to have to look forward to throwing money out the window and five days in the country with nothing to do.

i get this all the time. The only place I seem to enjoy is The Hamptons, and that's simply out of general ease.

i squash any other ideas quickly

Last edited:

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I think the biggest problem with people not finding work is that they wont settle for anything else than their dream jobs. Well, sometimes you have to do other things before you get that. Suck it up and get experience. Any experience. I can't stand people who are all whiney and bitchy about unemplyeed for years, living like Gandhi in their parent's house when they could be pulling shots at Starbucks. No work ethic.

During the worst months of the great recession I wrote the CFO of a company that I owned stock in thanking him for some good strategy that made me some dough. Two weeks later I had a phone call from said company with a job offer. Sometimes things can happen in obscure ways.

I hear ya Patrick. In my time as a chef, I hired the friend of a friend. Dude was "down on his luck." Had been on unemployment for 8 months.vso I figure, sure, why not. Anyone can make a ******* sandwich. So I hire the guy. We become "friends" kind of. After one paycheck, he tells me he can't work any more. Flash forward to another 8 months. I'm at a new place and we need a dishwasher for about 15 hrs a week. I call this kid. He comes in and works a couple times. Then our other part timer leaves and we offer him full time plus. He says no thanks because he has job interviews for other jobs.... dude ditched out on fulltime plus 5-8 OT a week. That was a month ago. He's still unemployed.

I mean, really, Wtf. I'd work in a ******* gas station if I had to. People have way too much pride, a completely overblown sense of self worth, and nothing even remotely close to a work ethic.

yeah, the last time I was unemployed, my landlord offered me 100 bucks off the rent to clean out his garage. what the **** better thing did I have to do that day? so I did it.

my sister hasn't held a job for more than 2 years ever, she's a rabbi, and got out of rabinical school more than 10 years ago, she's had 5 jobs since then, from 1 to 2 years each, with maybe 2-3 years of unemployment in the middle. she's 50 with 500K in student debt. she still thinks that she could be the head rabbi on one hte bigger/better synagogues in the country, and she acts like that is just around the corner. she's looking now, and she constantly bitches about how hard and humiliating the interviews are, and how disorganized the hiring teams are, how little they know about what she is supposed to do, the process, etc.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

i get this all the time. The only place I seem to enjoy is The Hamptons, and that's simply out of general ease.

i squash any other ideas quickly

Honestly, I don't even understand The Hamptons.

To me there is a super fine line between relaxation and boredom.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
@kwilk and globe

I seriously think one should avoid anybody who uses the phrase, "Down on my luck". To me is says "I don't take responsibility for my actions".

Last edited:

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

******* girlfriend wants to go a on a "weekend getaway" as if that isn't torturous enough her idea of the weekend is 5 days. Now, I am going to have to look forward to throwing money out the window and five days in the country with nothing to do.

Meh, I enjoy getting out of the city. Ideally someplace where I can do some hiking... Five days in some random small town might be a bit much.

Definitely get a place with a fireplace, that makes it 10x more awesome.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'd honestly rather work over the weekend. Maybe I could just send her?

Last edited:

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Man, I'm already so looking forward to my Xmas vacation where the plan is to do nothing but drink wine, read, chill, and go out to eat.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

:laugh:

I said something along the lines of, "I'm not nearly arrogant enough to think I change the lives of people on a daily basis. I think if you really change a person's life two or three times in your life you are doing awesome." She was quite taken back, had no response, and just changed the subject. Pretentious *****. Probably had motivational posters on the ceiling over her bed.

It really does take a warped sense of self worth to believe that most of us have the ability to go around changing lives at will.

Last edited:

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I can't imagine not enjoying some time away out in the country. Last Saturday, I drove, by myself, down to a local national forest and spent some time driving the Forest Service "roads," stopping every so often to get out, look around, and scout place I could camp later on. I didn't see but maybe three cars for hours, and went at least one hour-plus stretch without seeing another soul. It was magnificent.

Last edited:

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

It really does take a warped sense of self worth to believe that most of us have the ability to go around changing lives at will.

HMMM. I tend to think that we have more of an effect on each other than that - but at the same time it's more likely to come from unintentional actions meeting the right time or situation. But pulling off a conscious, intentional, dramatic Pygmalion-type transformation is profoundly unlikely for even the best of us.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I can't imagine not enjoying some time away out in the country. Last Saturday, I drove, by myself, down to a local national forest and spent some time driving the Forest Service "roads," stopping every so often to get out, look around, and scout place I could camp later on. I didn't see but maybe three cars for hours, and went at least one hour-plus stretch without seeing another soul. It was magnificent.

Yeah, I'd enjoy this. I need pretty regular time in the woods to decompress. Can't wait for summer so I can start hiking again.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I sit on ****** all day every day at work on the computer and drink alcohol every night with her, why should I have to take a train 2 hours and spend $400 a night to do the same thing around less people, with less possibilities of things to do? Makes no ******* sense. I know she wants it so I am going to shut her up and bite my tongue.

thats tough... it sounds like a bed and breakfast type of situation.... sounds horrific.

my wife is great at planning vacations now, but damn did we have some ****** "weekend getaway" trips in our 20s. it always was centered around some sleepy town and a bed and breakfast followed by bickering in the car to and from.

the best weekend getaway things for us now is centralized around some thing like a concert/ballgame/running race (where I'm the only one running) something active, because to try to get rest in such a small amount of time is futile.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score

Honestly, I don't even understand The Hamptons.

To me there is a super fine line between relaxation and boredom.

it's usually with a small group of friends and lots of wine and debauchery and then hangover cures at the beach

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads