• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

rnguy001

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks Belli - I'm no coffee expert by any means, but it's always great to find new ways to make better coffee.. I'm going to look into the aero press. I've been doing the pour-over method and Bodum french press, so this will be interesting to see if I can tell the difference.

I think there's a fair bit of crossover among those who get into coffee and people who dig watches.

If you don't mind a bit of off-topic posting, I gotta say that both appeal to me for many of the same reasons, as they each potentially offer a surprising level of detail to appreciate. Similarly, mechanical watches and quality espresso gear are essentially-mature technologies, so the good stuff tends to last a long time and retain its value.

Unlike a watch, however, it's not that tough to do a full service yourself on espresso equipment. Right now, I'm restoring an older Elektra lever machine. It's looking a bit neglected, and I had to hotwire past the broken power switch to get it going again, but everything else still works well even after sitting unused for about four years. This particular model has been in continuous production since the '60s, and factory replacements can be had for every single component. I've already descaled it, so with a few gaskets and small fittings, it'll be functionally as-new. I'll also try to brighten it up a bit; I don't think there's a collector market that values original "patina" on these things:

It's not necessary to have a lot of bulky equipment taking over your kitchen to enjoy good coffee at home, either. The espresso stuff is more for relaxed weekends and guests; I mainly brew on the simple and perfect Aeropress, which only costs about 25 bucks. That and a half-decent burr grinder are all you need for a world-class cup at home, provided you have quality beans. Skål!

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got this in. Super underrated watch. It's way too big for me, but for someone with big wrists it's an absolute killer. I can't believe people are paying more for RM011s than these!!
Too large for me, although, I did get to try on the ultra thin RO Tourbillon and it was stunning!!! As for RM...I've never understood the attraction to them. For what they cost there are so many other watches I would rather own.

kimmo

Reaction score

According to Rolex Passion Report, a new Tudor is just around the corner:

I find bronze-cased watches interesting, though perhaps a bit impractical (changing color, etc.), but may the aluminum-bronze alloy avoids that? Let the discussion start!

Oh, and here's a link to the full article:

http://rolexpassionreport.com/20205/what-rolex-is-going-to-introduce-at-baselworld-2016/

After seeing this being referred as "Black Bay UPS", can't shake the image off my head. I would probably still get the black version if I was looking for a reasonably priced diver.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting that, if that is a genuine pic of the proposed Tudor Black Bay "Bronze", that Tudor decided to adopt numerals for the 3, 6 and 9 spots, rather than indices as on other Black Bay models.

SonofOctober

Reaction score
Good for Tudor. The Black Bay line is a strong foot forward, and really one of the best options at 3-5K.

Still go with Nomos in that range, but other than that there's not much out there.

BLAUGRANA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Black Bay is great, and I don't see UPS here, but not a fan of the Bronze edition. Would have preferred a green bezel version.

Looking forward to seeing what happens at Basel.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
...chronos in the lower range that stand out...
Longines 688 column wheel chrono

As I happened to be wearing this one today, a couple of quick pics: Longines Flagship Column Wheel Chronograph - Silver Dial. Note the blued column wheel in the second pic. Well under $2k new on a bracelet; I added a gator strap for about $100 that I think really makes it. The low contrast dial made it a little too formal for a casual sports watch, but on a strap I think it becomes a modern sort-of-dress-watch really well.

There are a lot of versions; I like the "Heritage" line a lot, of which the cream dial with gold markers on a brown croc strap is a standout. @RogerP has the super cool 1973 Chrono with the same movement in a cushion case for a retro sporty aesthetic. It's awesome.

As i said before, it's not going to win any bragging contests, but it's a well made watch with a classy take on a proven movement, and I'm surprised by how many compliments it gets in this rather dull version!

new Tudor...bronze

I want to like this more than I do. Conceptually, I like the idea of a bronze cased dive watch. I like the use of brown to go with it. I like the woven strap. But, UPS aside, I'm not quite loving it. Maybe if the dial were brown instead of the bezel? And bronze watches make me think of Archimede at the value end, or Helson in this price bracket, and neither are quite historical or luxury enough to stand up to this brand identity.

OK, I'll come out and say it: I fear it looks a bit cheap, with too many elements in imperfect order and the association of bronze with lesser items. If they'd done something extra fancy and rare like the PAM 507 it might be an interesting curiosity for BB lovers. But as a mainstream option, as it stands it's a bit of an ugly sister. I'd rather see it with the burgundy, blue or black bezels, and one of their straps too.

Last edited:

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Just had a further thought on the Bronze Bay: on the positive side, it now looks nothing at all like a Submariner. :)

TwoStep

Reaction score

Just got this in. Super underrated watch. It's way too big for me, but for someone with big wrists it's an absolute killer. I can't believe people are paying more for RM011s than these!!

Amazing piece. I do not see why any serious person would choose a RM over an AP. RM to me, feels like it is for the same crowd that carries Hublot.

aol910

Reaction score
Quick question. Does anyone her know of, and maybe have experience with, a good watchmaker in Philadelphia? I need to service my out of warranty Hamilton.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads