• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Yachtmaster

scottcw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Still looking for a vintage chrono, but a general question about "tool" watches in the meantime.

The big two categories that I see are diver or chronographs. I might possibly need to time something (a 3 minute egg say), but I don't anticipate ever needing to descend 660 ft underwater. What is the appeal of the diver watch other than the association with Bond?

Last edited:

LIMatt

Reaction score

Still looking for a vintage chrono, but a general question about "tool" watches in the meantime.

The big two categories that I see are diver or chronographs. I might possibly need to time something (a 3 minute egg say), but I don't anticipate ever needing to descend 660 ft underwater. What is the appeal of the diver watch other than the association with Bond?

It's not so much the specific function, as:

- people like the look

- 200m water resistance requires a certain level of build quality

(Me, I wear divers on leather straps and swim with a G-Shock. :p )

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Gah! That Double Red is giving me a watch boner LOL.

And kudos to Tag for this re-launch idea. Sure, it's a bit gimmicky, but they really can't lose by giving hardcore fans a chance to have their say.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Most guys I know with chronographs use the timing function when they first get them, but the longer they own them the less they use the chrono function. At best these days I might use a chronograph to keep track of my time on a parking meter (although the bezel can be turned on a diving watch or GMT watch to track time on a meter). So most people don't need chronographs either.

The appeal of a tool watch, in particular a diving watch, is the rugged construction, its ability to withstand severe shocks, extreme cold, and be subjected to harsh environments without faltering. I don't think anyone buying a diving watch today is buying it today because they need one to go diving. Divers rely on dive computers, so a diving watch is sort of a back up at best. As for the extreme depths some watches can withstand...its sort of a bragging right/indication of how rugged the watch is, much like when people talk about the top speed of a car, knowing they could never safely drive their vehicle at its top speed (unless maybe its a Smart car
wink.gif
). I think another category of tool watches you left out are GMT watches. Most people that own one are not intercontinental pilots nor are they cave explorers who may lose track of AM and PM. but they can be very handy for people who travel a great deal. One can also use the bezel on a diving watch or GMT watch to measure how much time is left on a parking meter or other things measured in minutes). Cheers!

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Dive watches are tough, and look cool. Chronographs look cool, and sometimes have interesting movements.

As watches are not at all a practical necessity for most people, I think that it is enough to just like them for the reasons above. Or any other, for that matter.

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As a bit of a coffee geek, I get plenty of use out of my chronographs: e.g. checking the extraction time of an espresso shot to dial in the grind setting.

Of course it's not necessary to have a chrono, but nothing beats having the stopwatch right on the wrist while pulling shots, and I find that it makes the process a bit smoother and more satisfying. They're handy for timing infusions with other methods such as Aeropress, too.

There's just something about the tactile and auditory feedback you get with a nice mechanical "click" that makes it so much nicer than using some beeping digital thing.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics