• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ShawnBC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ very, very nice @no frills ; what fountain pen accompanied this handsome precious metal duo?

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ very, very nice @no frills ; what fountain pen accompanied this handsome precious metal duo?

Nakaya's Decapod Twist in ao-tamenuri, with a medium soft 14k gold nib plated with ruthenium. Ink is Pilot Iroshizuku's Shin-Ryoku (Forest Green).

rnguy001

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Frilly - I was reminded of how baller you are, when I realized I understood no more than 5 or so words from your last post. :slayer:

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Frilly - I was reminded of how baller you are, when I realized I understood no more than 5 or so words from your last post.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Ahahaha, bro @rnguy001 - I picked up those words from my years in Ninja training.
marchal.gif

rnguy001

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Epaulet - my friend rocks the same AP Chrono - a truly awesome watch.

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score

I've been pondering this question lately. I've read here and on multiple other fora that watch case sizes vary over time: the current trend is oversized cases and eventually, the pendulum will swing the other way. I wanted to challenge whether that actually is true. In my albeit limited experience, all the vintage watches I've seen are generally small. Exceptions would be an aviator's watch or a diver's watch. Have we actually seen case sizes wax and wane over time? Or is the change over time really for watches to be bigger to the point say, 2008, and now reached an everlasting plateau? Curious to hear others' thoughts.

Yes, I think the trend has pretty much only been to larger watches, and yes I think we're pretty much at a plateau, if not a slight correction backward.

It just seems there's realistically no more room for "growth" so to speak, unless/until the average wrist size literally goes up by a few more millimeters to support even larger cases.

But if you're asking me will the typical round dress watch size revert back to something like 34mm, or even 36? I tend to doubt it personally..... but forever is a long, long time.

Who knows what the big Basel releases might look like in the year 2056? :D

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Funny you mentioned 34 mm -- the reason I started thinking about this more was because I started wearing an older Rolex AK. It's 34 mm and a couple people commented that it looked like a ladies watch. I'm 6'2" but actually like how it fits my wrist, and am ok with wearing it with long sleeves; I agree it would look a little small with a t-shirt. Interestingly, the dial of a 34 mm AK is comparable to the dial of a 40 mm Sub, the other components of the watch making up the difference. One of the reasons for the question is that the AK needs some work to fix some damage, and the work would cost more than the watch is worth, so you've got to wonder whether it is worth restoring.

Of course, you wear what puts a smile on your face, but we can't be entirely oblivious to trends. I think this applies equally to menswear in general. There has to be a range of what is or can be objectively tasteful. That concept has been hashed and re-hashed in the Good Taste thread a number of times and I tend to agree. :foo:

Anyway, that's a long way of saying that I'm in the fence about restoring this 34 mm watch. Many of the discussions about this watch in particular revolve around whether it is an acceptable size so it got me thinking. Not that it really matters, but I'd be curious to see if in 40 years what case sizes will be like. Like you and Dino intimate, something in the 38-40 mm range seems ideal for an average sized wrist, both in comfort and legibility.

Here's pic of the AK on my wrist; you be the judge:

Last edited:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Funny you mentioned 34 mm -- the reason I started thinking about this more was because I started wearing an older Rolex AK. It's 34 mm and a couple people commented that it looked like a ladies watch. ...
While your hand looks sort of large in that photo, you don't appear to have a particularly large wrist. I think it works, but only you can decide if you are comfortable in it, and/or whether its worth sending more than its worth to restore it (although that doesn't take into account sentimental value, if any).

Funny thing is a friend of mine was wearing a 36 mm WG Day-Date and he was at a watch store in Europe, when a friend of his tried on a 40mm Day Date an felt it was a bit large and asked to try on a 36mm Day Date. The woman assisting them said,"Why would you want to try on a ladies watch?" My friend wearing his own, sort of chuckled and said really, "So for years, Presidents, heads of state, and people such as Jack Nicklaus, Arnold Palmer, Sugar Ray Leonard, Bono, and Eric Clapton all wore ladies watches?" The SA had no reply.

It all depends on what you are comfortable wearing. Good luck with whatever you decide.

robw

Reaction score
When I got my datejust in 1992 or so it was considered a good sized watch. The last time I put it on, after not wearing it for while, my teenage kids asked me why I was wearing a woman's watch.

Since then the Mrs. has been wearing it.

Funny thing is a friend of mine was wearing a 36 mm WG Day-Date and he was at a watch store in Europe, when a friend of his tried on a 40mm Day Date an felt it was a bit large and asked to try on a 36mm Day Date.  The woman assisting them said,"Why would you want to try on a ladies watch?"  My friend wearing his own, sort of chuckled and said really, "So for years, Presidents, heads of state, and people such as Jack Nicklaus, Arnold Palmer, Sugar Ray Leonard, Bono, and Eric Clapton all wore ladies watches?"  The SA had no reply.  

It all depends on what you are comfortable wearing.  Good luck with whatever you decide. 

BLAUGRANA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Funny you mentioned 34 mm -- the reason I started thinking about this more was because I started wearing an older Rolex AK. It's 34 mm and a couple people commented that it looked like a ladies watch. I'm 6'2" but actually like how it fits my wrist, and am ok with wearing it with long sleeves; I agree it would look a little small with a t-shirt. Interestingly, the dial of a 34 mm AK is comparable to the dial of a 40 mm Sub, the other components of the watch making up the difference. One of the reasons for the question is that the AK needs some work to fix some damage, and the work would cost more than the watch is worth, so you've got to wonder whether it is worth restoring.

Of course, you wear what puts a smile on your face, but we can't be entirely oblivious to trends. I think this applies equally to menswear in general. There has to be a range of what is or can be objectively tasteful. That concept has been hashed and re-hashed in the Good Taste thread a number of times and I tend to agree.
foo.gif

Anyway, that's a long way of saying that I'm in the fence about restoring this 34 mm watch. Many of the discussions about this watch in particular revolve around whether it is an acceptable size so it got me thinking. Not that it really matters, but I'd be curious to see if in 40 years what case sizes will be like. Like you and Dino intimate, something in the 38-40 mm range seems ideal for an average sized wrist, both in comfort and legibility.

I agree with @Dino944 (he's always giving great advice) that it looks fine. Your shirt cuff doesn't help as it looks a bit boxier, but overall I think you're fine. I also wouldn't be bothered with what anyone else thinks. If someone told me that it looks like a ladies watch I'd politely inform them that it's vintage and explain how watches have been grossly oversized in most cases in recent times.

My first "nice" watch was a 90s Tag Heuer that must be 34-36mm. Likely the former. It felt fine for years and then I started looking at something else. I wasn't looking to spend a lot and bought some VSA dive watches which are about 44mm. My Tag Heuer suddenly felt a bit small. I'm so glad that I didn't buy a "real" watch then though. I probably would have gone with a larger watch, 42mm or bigger, and completely regretted it now some five years or so later. I just got a Geophysic 1958 about two months ago and I absolutely love the 38.5mm size. I'm only 5'10" with a 7.25" wrist so maybe that has something to do with it, but it's a great size. And this is coming from someone who actually never noticed how big his other watches were.

One thing that I've noticed is that some watches don't much lend themselves to a bigger version. For the most part the less complicated the watch the better it looks in a smaller size from what I've seen. Smaller size can mean any number of different sizes, but say no bigger than 38mm. Take the Tudor Heritage Ranger for instance. When it first came out I was fine with the size. Now though I can't see myself getting one unless they reduce the size.

Of course it's all a matter of opinion. At the end of the day you have to wear the watch so whatever makes you happy is what you should do. I'm just curious as to what the restoration will cost though. I don't mean the number, but rather that maybe you might want to consider a new watch (and by new I also mean vintage) if it's going to cost more than the watch is worth. Assuming it doesn't have too much sentimental value of course.

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score

Funny you mentioned 34 mm --
the reason I started thinking about this more was because I started wearing an older Rolex AK. It's 34 mm and a couple people commented that it looked like a ladies watch. I'm 6'2" but actually like how it fits my wrist, and am ok with wearing it with long sleeves; I agree it would look a little small with a t-shirt. Interestingly, the dial of a 34 mm AK is comparable to the dial of a 40 mm Sub, the other components of the watch making up the difference. One of the reasons for the question is that the AK needs some work to fix some damage, and the work would cost more than the watch is worth, so you've got to wonder whether it is worth restoring.

Of course, you wear what puts a smile on your face, but we can't be entirely oblivious to trends. I think this applies equally to menswear in general. There has to be a range of what is or can be objectively tasteful. That concept has been hashed and re-hashed in the Good Taste thread a number of times and I tend to agree. :foo:

http://www.styleforum.net/content/type/61/id/2064796/width/350/height/700[/IMG[/SPOILER][/QUOTE]

Dude, I must say that actually looks pretty damn sharp to me. Especially with a dress shirt as shown. It's a simple, classy watch.

And I still rock a vintage Gruen Curvex occasionally myself. I don't know exact dimensions, but that piece can only be described (charitably) as ... smallish.

To me, it's a far more common mistake for guys these days to wear something that's obviously FAR too large.

However .....as far as the notion of these more, um, [I]traditional[/I] sizes somehow becoming "trendy" again (?) I still maintain it's a long shot, for the forseeable future.

Regarding your dilemma specifically: as far as any investment / repairs to the Air King-- I'd personally be more inclined to consider a trade, and/or perhaps putting funds towards a similar-styled Oysterquartz or DateJust. You could thus gain a couple of millimeters, and that might make all the difference in your confidence level for wearing that kind of watch.

They say the most expensive [S]watches[/S] anything .... are the ones that never get used.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads