• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pandaros

Reaction score
Hey, so this is a bit delayed (because frankly I'm embarrassed posting a Tudor alongside Patek Philippes) but having first broached the topic quite a number of months ago I picked up my watch last month. I want to express some thanks to the members here who guided me to develop my own taste in watches and understand the value in this market.

I got the Tudor 1926 39mm in two-tone rose gold. Never thought I'd get a two-tone, but I've learnt that some are done well and some aren't. This is well done IMO and doesn't look gaudy, because of the differently polished steel and the darkness of the rose gold. I'm pleased with it being a unique looking watch with a lot of qualities I won't harp on about.

I know all the weaknesses - the modified ETA movement, the capped gold. But I'm happy with it.
Someone posted recently giving three reasons for why we buy watches. Mine were none of those. Mine is to mark something significant, and this has done it for me.

I've also accepted that every watch will have something you don't like about it. This would be much better without a date window, or for it to have been styled differently. But I can settle on that. No watch is perfect - and that's something I learnt here to develop taste with.

Thanks for all the wisdom/criticism I got with the questions I asked.

Tudor watch.jpeg

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Looks great @TheFoo. I missed your unboxing pictures. Came out perfect!

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not usually a fan of themed watches but Autodromo has a sharp aesthetic that is even more elevated in this collab with Hodinkee. There’s a lot of things I think Hodinkee does wrong, but they are consistently great when it comes to tweaking designs.
Agreed. I came across that Autodromo just scrolling on Instagram waiting to board a plane and really liked it. Sold out pretty much immediately I think.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It only looks like @gomestar and I are holding hands.

Crazy how angle can distort impression of sizing. That Big Pilot is 46mm in diameter and 57mm lug-to-lug! The Tank is only 34mm x 26mm!

View attachment 1941459 View attachment 1941457
I know you like croc, but have you considered a smooth calf strap? With any tank, simplicity and clean straight lines just work so well. I think, anyway.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Make sure we got a box picture as well as a wrist shot "package" picture.
Well I was adjusting the fit of my Kermit Sub. I've used the micro adjustment a zillion times on old 5 digit reference Rolex watches...but this time the bar from the inner clasp popped out of my grasp and disappeared. So I called a local AD that has a service center. They asked me to bring the the watch in, and they would either provide the part if they had it or order it if they didn't. A few days later the SA I've dealt with there asked if I contacted their service center and what happened. I explained it to him and he asked when I could bring it in, for the watchmaker to view. I told him Monday and he said he would be there too. I thought it was a bit odd that he contacted me when I was just calling for the service center.

They didn't have the part, but ordered it and said it would be free. Which was nice. Then the SA said they have a few pieces he'd like to show me. An Everrose Day-Date with green dial...nope not my taste. Then a yellow gold Day-Date with onyx dial, with a striation near 6 and diamond baguettes. Interesting, but I've never really wanted a Day-Date. Then he said, he had one last watch to show me...very simple and I've owned a variations of it, but never this version.

For @Texasmade

At first I thought he was showing me an exhibition piece (I had already seen the black and green GMT there)...but he said, it was on your list and if you want it, it's yours. So yes, another no-date Sub owner here.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I know you like croc, but have you considered a smooth calf strap? With any tank, simplicity and clean straight lines just work so well. I think, anyway.

I’m not opposed to calf at all, but most of the options at Cartier are exotic skins.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I was adjusting the fit of my Kermit Sub. I've used the micro adjustment a zillion times on old 5 digit reference Rolex watches...but this time the bar from the inner clasp popped out of my grasp and disappeared. So I called a local AD that has a service center. They asked me to bring the the watch in, and they would either provide the part if they had it or order it if they didn't. A few days later the SA I've dealt with there asked if I contacted their service center and what happened. I explained it to him and he asked when I could bring it in, for the watchmaker to view. I told him Monday and he said he would be there too. I thought it was a bit odd that he contacted me when I was just calling for the service center.

They didn't have the part, but ordered it and said it would be free. Which was nice. Then the SA said they have a few pieces he'd like to show me. An Everrose Day-Date with green dial...nope not my taste. Then a yellow gold Day-Date with onyx dial, with a striation near 6 and diamond baguettes. Interesting, but I've never really wanted a Day-Date. Then he said, he had one last watch to show me...very simple and I've owned a variations of it, but never this version.

For @Texasmade

At first I thought he was showing me an exhibition piece (I had already seen the black and green GMT there)...but he said, it was on your list and if you want it, it's yours. So yes, another no-date Sub owner here.

Big congrats @Dino944! Looks great on you - cannot go wrong with an NDS!

Scuppers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have been contemplating the 2-3 watch collection. Just don’t think I could do it now. 6-7 is a more realistic range for myself. Just too many important celebratory/gift watches and personal time invested in my own choices. However, should an unfortunate event occur and had to start again… maybe.
Just musing.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

For @Texasmade

Nice haul, D!

va230815

Reaction score
Have been contemplating the 2-3 watch collection. Just don’t think I could do it now. 6-7 is a more realistic range for myself. Just too many important celebratory/gift watches and personal time invested in my own choices. However, should an unfortunate event occur and had to start again… maybe.
Just musing.
Feel free to send over the rrcc to help cull the collection ;)

All kidding aside would love to see what you're working with (if you haven't already). Or even some of your favorite pieces

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads