• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I mean, banging is kind of slang for fux right?

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Found this on the internet and made an impulse purchase. It hasn't arrived yet so I may be jumping the gun ... but got this for so little that I've crossposted in the poor man's watch thread. The dial is restored, the buckle is not original, the calibre is the 852 and the case is 35mm in steel and dates from the 60's (so acrylic crystal) ... but darn I'm attached already. Then again, I am an IWC fan and love the simplicity of their "dress" watches from that era.

It has an elegance and is understated. Okay, the black dial is a tad dramatic but it's hardly ostentatious. Few people are going to look twice. And it's pre-Richement and even pre-LMH Group. ;)
This looks near perfect.

Imagine how awesome it would be if you today were able to get this exact same dial and case, just upsized to 38mm (and with an automatic movement). Should be simple enough, yet no one can manage to offer this (or something equally sublime - happy to see suggestions; sub $5k if possible).

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
ITT: Grown men get totally watch fuched.
I've never stopped with watches.
This looks near perfect.

Imagine how awesome it would be if you today were able to get this exact same dial and case, just upsized to 38mm (and with an automatic movement). Should be simple enough, yet no one can manage to offer this (or something equally sublime - happy to see suggestions; sub $5k if possible).
Thanks.

This one is automatic ... and I honestly prefer 36mm (so this one is "undersized" by 1mm) even though I have a 7 1/4" wrist. But I hear you. It is THE look I truly like.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There’s a disturbing pattern of watch thefts at gunpoint in downtown SF at the moment. At least four that I know of in the last couple of weeks. A guy was pistol whipped for a Rolex yesterday and quite badly injured. Feels like the street criminal element is waking up to rising values and ease of disposal on the gray market. Not great.

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There’s a disturbing pattern of watch thefts at gunpoint in downtown SF at the moment. At least four that I know of in the last couple of weeks. A guy was pistol whipped for a Rolex yesterday and quite badly injured. Feels like the street criminal element is waking up to rising values and ease of disposal on the gray market. Not great.

Thanks for the reminder. I'm going to stop walking around with my box and papers so at least they won't get top dollar.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Found this on the internet and made an impulse purchase. It hasn't arrived yet so I may be jumping the gun ... but got this for so little that I've crossposted in the poor man's watch thread. The dial is restored, the buckle is not original, the calibre is the 852 and the case is 35mm in steel and dates from the 60's (so acrylic crystal) ... but darn I'm attached already. Then again, I am an IWC fan and love the simplicity of their "dress" watches from that era.

It has an elegance and is understated. Okay, the black dial is a tad dramatic but it's hardly ostentatious. Few people are going to look twice. And it's pre-Richement and even pre-LMH Group. ;)

I think this vintage of iwc represents a super value in the vintage market right now. Even the gold ones are reasonable.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whats the forum's view on co-branded dials as in Domino's, Iraqui forces etc?

Co-Branded I tend to think of Pateks, Rolex, AP etc. that were retailed by Tiffany & Co, Cartier, Hermes etc. Other brand retailed by Cartier or Hermes are relatively rare...there were lots of Tiffany retailed watches. They fetch crazy money, but for me it's not worth it to pay crazy for a watch at is identical to one retailed by an AD and without the Tiffany, Cartier, or Hermes name on the dial.

Domino's or Coca Cola watches are a bit of a novelty, but nothing I'd ever want to own. I've seen them, but its essentially a watch to celebrate someone was a good franchise owner or a good employee? Meh, nothing that special and not something I'd want to own.

A military or special forces vintage Sub is a very interesting a much cooler watch than a Dominos Rolex. A 5517 Sub has a different bezel (minute markers all around), unique hands not found on civilian Subs, and the "T" mark on the dial. I like the way the hands look on a 5517. It's a watch that probably had some amazing adventures,...if only it could talk. I've seen photos of Airforce Daytonas from various countries, but they generally are not as unique, just a logo on the dial and maybe an engraving on the back.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think this vintage of iwc represents a super value in the vintage market right now. Even the gold ones are reasonable.
I agree. There was an 18KYG one with a white dial that I got a couple of months ago for only marginally more than this piece. I've got it in service right now being cleaned (needed it).

Last edited:

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree. There was an 18KYG one with s white dial that I got a couple of months ago for only marginally more than this piece. I've got it in service right now being cleaned (needed it).

I’m also a big fan of the full name written out in script on these. It’s a mouthful but for some reason I find it much better than just plain IWC

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

mandatory case engravings , boom solved

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That's crazy. I remember reading about cyclists being robbed of high end road bikes at gunpoint sometime in the last couple of years. It may have been the Bay area if I'm not mistaken. Your thieves have very good taste!!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads