• We would like to welcome American Trench as an official Affiliate Vendor. American Trench is a Philadelphia based outerwear, apparel, and accessories brand, making all of its products in the United States at (mostly) family owned factories. . Please visit the American Trench thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

George Red

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m still leaning toward Lange 1 for next (big for me) purchase. Patek 5196p would be my other option option at this point (I know they’re completely different animals), but not feeling up to all the anxiety of properly vetting and hunting down the watch...

Having done only cursory searches, how hard is it it find these in really good shape? View attachment 1740126
Not hard at all.

thuhoan

Reaction score
I’ll post better pictures tomorrow when I get this sized and I’m out in the wild. For now, this should suffice. This is my first Grand Seiko, and I’m impressed. Keep in mind, however, that I’m a Richemont dumb fuck peasant that likes phony shit. Notwithstanding my socio-economic shortcomings (dammit, dad, why weren’t you a doctor), I love this. Finishing is superb. Overall, the watch is just a frenzy of aesthetic accomplishment. Won’t be my last GS, that’s for sure.
View attachment 1740121 View attachment 1740122
Oh man this one and the spring drive version with different case are my favorites right now. Hmm Lake Suwa is nice too..

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I’m still leaning toward Lange 1 for next (big for me) purchase. Patek 5196p would be my other option at this point (I know they’re completely different animals), but not feeling up to all the anxiety of properly vetting and hunting down the watch...

Having done only cursory searches, how hard is it it find these in really good shape? View attachment 1740126
Did you look on Chrono24 for ones in new/unworn condition?

Keep in mind, they literally just discontinued the 5196.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Now hankering for a 5740G. There are different angles one can take, but is this the ultimate Nautilus?

View attachment 1739945
View attachment 1739946
View attachment 1739947
No, not the ultimate Nautilus to my eye. Not a fan of the perpetual calendar, annual calendar, or chronograph. I've seen them and tried a few on before they became impossible to see in show cases. The only modern Nautilus models I think look good are the 5712/A1 and the 5711. To me the dial layouts just look wrong or cluttered (yes the 5712 seems busy to some, but its a classic dial layout for them having been used in a variety of Pateks since the 90s). I find the RO lends itself better to a variety of complications.

But if you love the 5740G go for it!

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did you look on Chrono24 for ones in new/unworn condition?

Keep in mind, they literally just discontinued the 5196.
No. I haven‘t really looked into any aspects of _buying_ the watch...only the watch itself...I generally stay away from chrono 24. Are you saying check out the platform to get a sense of what’s out there in a general way, or as a potential way to acquire the watch?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
No. I haven‘t really looked into any aspects of _buying_ the watch...only the watch itself...I generally stay away from chrono 24. Are you saying check out the platform to get a sense of what’s out there in a general way, or as a potential way to acquire the watch?
It gives you a sense of availability and pricing. Pricing versus retail then tells you something about supply versus demand (i.e. how hard to get from an AD).

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, you have it wrong. Rolex called it the Cosmograph because they wanted NASA to pick it for use on space missions. Obviously, they went with the Speedmaster instead (ironically, given the names). The ambition is part of the watch’s history.

I don’t know where you got that it has anything to do with having a moon phase function. I’ve never heard anyone call another watch a “cosmograph”.
I believe he is correct. I believe it was in Hess and Dowlings book about Rolex, and I read years ago that it was used on a Rolex in the 1950s but it was only in production a short time. It was resurrected for what became the Daytona in the 1960s.

Last edited:

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ll post better pictures tomorrow when I get this sized and I’m out in the wild. For now, this should suffice. This is my first Grand Seiko, and I’m impressed. Keep in mind, however, that I’m a Richemont dumb fuck peasant that likes phony shit. Notwithstanding my socio-economic shortcomings (dammit, dad, why weren’t you a doctor), I love this. Finishing is superb. Overall, the watch is just a frenzy of aesthetic accomplishment. Won’t be my last GS, that’s for sure.
View attachment 1740121 View attachment 1740122
Damn, that was fast. I'm loving that case shape too. I was definitely checking out photos/reviews of that and some other GS over the weekend.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Let's keep it positive.

Pointers in the Patek and my piece, I'm pushin' P
Copped new hammers for my P, we don't want no peace
Got a spot across the spot, just for Ps
Dropped the dot and then we plot, exotic Ps

Featured Sponsor

What's the biggest deciding factor for you when making a clothing purchase?

• Style of an item

• Price of an item

• Material of an item

• Brand

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CondorCBDGummiesoffi