• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Problem with the 8X00 movements is that they’re too thick. This causes the balance of the watch to be off for smaller watches or makes the watch too big diameter wise.

I need to check out their new location eventually. They have a huge selection ans I bought my AP RO from them several years ago.

Yes, I agree - the 8*00 movements are very nice but too thick. It really is a pity and I feel like Omega emphasized visual appearance, and depth, over wearability. Unfortunately, I am not sure that Omega can remedy what I believe to be a major flaw. By way of example, I feel like the old 2500 POs wore better than some of the recent watches I have tried.

I can see these working well for others, but I think I prefer something more svelte.

The new location is beautiful. I really enjoyed my visit.

@Newcomer That ALS is gorgeous. Lange is on the bucket list for me. The GS Snowflake is great too, but I find that GS bracelets are a bit of a letdown in terms of design. The GMT models on leather straps, however, are impressive.

Regarding Cartier and it’s various sizes, I think most people are programmed to expect larger size watches these days. Many non-watch people, including my wife, can’t understand why I would buy the medium size over the large Santos. To me, the difference in size makes them 2 different watches with different intentions. I also feel that the dressier Tanks look much better in smaller sizes, and are not truly intended to span the wearer’s entire wrist.

Yeah, the Lange is very, very special. Felt really nice on the wrist as well. Perhaps too nice.

Lange's a great watch. Tough to find any fault with it. It's certainly a good long term addition.

Seamaster,...meh. I just can't fall in love with any of them. IMHO the Speedy is the only watch they make that really seems special and does something for me.

Grand Seiko, I respect what they make. Too bland and another one that for me does nothing. My favorite design was their chronographs until I tried one on. The crown and pushers are ridiculously long, look weird in person and it wasn't a comfortable fit. If I wanted a Seiko I'd just buy a standard Seiko, in a lower price range to use as a daily wearer or diving watch. In that price range they are tough to beat.

IWC - they haven't made anything I've wanted in more than a decade. The BP at least in the North East is just really played out. People complain that Subs are too common, but at one point it seemed like every wealthy college student in Boston and his brother were wearing IWC BPs.

The OF is a really cool watch. The case shape, the thinness of the case, and the movement are amazing. I'm not a fan of the bracelet, but I could be very happy wearing one on a strap. In addition on a strap the lugs and their various facets/angles really look fantastic (I think they get a little lost when its on a bracelet...but it is really a great watch even on a bracelet).

Looking forward to seeing what you eventually pull the trigger on. Good luck and have fun!

Funny enough, none of these watches - with the exception of the Bulgari OF - are on my immediate "want" list. I've intentionally been very "mum" about my next target. This may sound crazy, but I am not sure I even necessarily want to post it when I do buy it - at this juncture, my AD more or less knows what I own and I do not want to create an online record, a la Foo.

When it comes to Grand Seiko, the tough thing for me is I cannot decide what I might want out of what they offer. There is almost too much variety, and the watches are pretty darn similar to one another. I really, really like Grand Seiko - but there are some dial textures I prefer slightly more than others, some dial colors I like slightly more than others, some cases I like more than others, some movements I like more than others, some bracelets I like more than others, etc. - in other words, I get real analysis paralysis. The watches have so much overlap that I cannot decide on the one that I would want to buy, and the design language is so similar among the references.

W/r/t IWC, that has not been my experience at all - I have never seen an IWC in real life. But I can imagine how that would color your viewpoint.

Finally, yeah, I am smitten by the OF and for me, it wore really, really nice. I wonder if you could add an after market strap? I imagine it may be somewhat complicated.

Have you tried on the Black Bay 58 yet? I have a feeling you'll like how it wears on the wrist more than a Seamaster. The new Seamasters look awesome in pictures, but are so thick.

Yep, I love the BB58. I think it is one of the best watches out there and it is on my short list.

View attachment 1661153

pretty much what I wear every day.

I wear my Speedy more often than not as well. It is a watch that I have really grown to love more and more.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When it comes to Grand Seiko, the tough thing for me is I cannot decide what I might want out of what they offer. There is almost too much variety, and the watches are pretty darn similar to one another. I really, really like Grand Seiko - but there are some dial textures I prefer slightly more than others, some dial colors I like slightly more than others, some cases I like more than others, some movements I like more than others, some bracelets I like more than others, etc. - in other words, I get real analysis paralysis. The watches have so much overlap that I cannot decide on the one that I would want to buy, and the design language is so similar among the references
What I find helpful in those cases is to go for the popular items in the sense of having a lasting market demand that outpaces the other models. One proxy might be resale value - a history of low depreciation tells you where the wisdom of the proverbial crowd is. I don't like the snowflake at all personally but that is one model that is often discussed and has been for years, consistently. I wish I had stocked up on the budget Alpinist and sarb065 of old for the same reason as well as that 8f56 movement black and red titanium GMT.

物の哀れ

Reaction score
While Grand Seiko's textured dials are beautiful, they can be difficult to integrate into an outfit.

I think Grand Seiko's more restrained work is their best.

2020-09-07_11-07-23_UTC.jpg

2021-07-06_11-13-49_UTC.jpg
2020-02-08_00-25-06_UTC.jpg
2016-02-14_03-23-40_UTC.jpg
49361065_496468490884922_5199481030202043135_n.jpg
2018-04-22_02-41-05_UTC_2.jpg
2021-03-01_06-10-56_UTC.jpg

pmeis

Reaction score
Funny enough, none of these watches - with the exception of the Bulgari OF - are on my immediate "want" list. I've intentionally been very "mum" about my next target. This may sound crazy, but I am not sure I even necessarily want to post it when I do buy it - at this juncture, my AD more or less knows what I own and I do not want to create an online record, a la Foo.

Finally, yeah, I am smitten by the OF and for me, it wore really, really nice. I wonder if you could add an after market strap? I imagine it may be somewhat complicated.

The OF looks great on your wrist from that picture. It does not lay correctly on mine, which is why I'll never own one even though I would like too (though the Santos scratches a lot of the same itch for me). I'm sure some of the more adventurous custom strap makers could make one for you.

What do you think will happen with your AD if he has more info? Unless you are buying extremely limited items from him and immediately, visibly, flipping them for high profits, I don't think most AD's will care. My AD follows me on IG and knows that I've essentially sold everything I've ever bought from him. He also knows that I've bought preowned watches from some of the brands that he carries via other channels. He has never given a second thought to offering me the price I want. Most of these guys know and understand that without guys like me (and many that are way worse) that go through a lot of watches, the whole business looks different.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I like the OF a lot. If I got it, I might get it on the bracelet, just to have it in case I want to use it that way in the summer, but I'd buy one of their straps and buckles for actual wearing it. I know they make alligator straps in black and in blue. Not sure if they offer other colors, but I suppose one could go custom if you wanted an unusual color or material.

adschus

Reaction score
I’m selling a Tudor BB GMT full set that is on a replica, non authentic bracelet. The OEM leather strap is included. Full set includes remaining warranty, about 1.5 years, and papers and box. Two photos are below but have many more.

Unsure if a for sale post is allowed in this forum. Happy to provide more details and references if you’re interested.

20A2F496-5017-43CB-A47E-4ECD8DACC19F.jpeg
97D2AFE1-C2E6-41A8-A700-8650AB4CFFEE.jpeg

Attachments

• 4A3A385D-A44B-4091-83BA-C7309CF75326.jpeg
    4A3A385D-A44B-4091-83BA-C7309CF75326.jpeg
    239.4 KB · Views: 37

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance