• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You have to think of the possibilities! You can rack up serious spend on cool independents to get a Daytona. Not really possible almost anywhere else.
Well you can rule out FPJ and KV from the list of possible purchases to get a Daytona.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why? Journes are perfectly gettable. You may just have to wait.
I heard that their full production have basically been sold out for the next 2 years and they're closing AD's so they can move to boutique only.

Of course I have no first hand knowledge. This is only what I've read on rolexforums.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of GS, but it's hard to overlook how perfectly sculpted those hands and hour markers are. Very well done. Aesthetically, these put the Code 11:59 to ******* shame.
I like some GS watches, but regardless of brand I find Dauphine hands the most insipid style of all. I do not think I have ever seen a single Dauphine watch that I love, let alone would buy for myself.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like some GS watches, but regardless of brand I find Dauphine hands the most insipid style of all. I do not think I have ever seen a single Dauphine watch that I love, let alone would buy for myself.
Really? I don't have a watch with Dauphine hands, but I quite like them. Certain stick hand watches do seem rather insipid to me, though. If going by the hand design, I feel like the first of the following three more accurately could be described as 'lacking vigour or interest' (the insipid definition). Do you prefer that first watch over the following two?

1619038891336.png

1619038904282.png

1619038919827.png

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really? I don't have a watch with Dauphine hands, but I quite like them. Certain stick hand watches do seem rather insipid to me, though. If going by the hand design, I feel like the first of the following three more accurately could be described as 'lacking vigour or interest' (the insipid definition). Do you prefer that first watch over the following two?

I do. I think Piaget is one of the most underrated modern brands and in part because their design refuses to fully merge with the more international look showcased by the other two. Plus in the age of quartz and oversize, thinness is not longer as valued.

In my experience stick hands are hard to do well because they need to be very parallel to the dial, there's no room for error and it is easy to give a false impression through bad choice of crystal shape, dial markings etc. Grab a Citizen Stiletto and compare it to that Piaget in the hand.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can definitely see how some might prefer that Piaget, as I tried to find an actual good version of a stick hands watch (it didn't seem fair to offer up a Skagen or the like).

ronscuba

Reaction score
Are there any other top makers of bespoke watch straps other than Camille Fournet, Jean Rousseau, and ABP Paris?
Are you looking for something non-standard not already made? I am leery about paying big $ for custom straps. OEM have their prices because they are OEM with the OEM buckle/clasp. Not sure where the $ is going for some of these high cost non OEM straps.

Last edited:

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Terrible service, poor packaging, and serious quality control problems. I've tried before and I would never recommend.
I can only speak from my experience of two straps, but both turned out incredibly well. Sorry to hear about your experience

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Are you looking for something non-standard not already made? I am leery about paying big $ for custom straps. OEM have their prices because they are OEM with the OEM buckle/clasp. Not sure where the $ is going for some of these high cost non OEM straps.

This is not really true.

The best independent strap makers offer better leather and better construction—most OEM straps, including Patek’s, are machine-stitched. In fact, most of the top tier watch brands specify the lower or mid-grade options from the various strap makers as their OEM straps. Camille Fournet, for example, has been known to make straps for both Patek and FPJ (though I think both have also used Swiss sources). But if you want hand-sewn and the full selection of hides, you have to go directly to the strap maker.

I reuse the OEM buckle or deployant.

Last edited:

pasadena man

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's something a little different than what is usually posted here.

Went to AD on April 7 to put my name on a list for the new 36mm Explorer and look around. I'd had my eye out for a while for a new summer/weekend/beach watch. I randomly stumbled across the Oris Aquis Whale Shark Limited Edition and thought it looked really cool and ticked a lot of boxes for me. Well went I went to my AD, they had one in the display case. I glanced at it, but was in a bit of a hurry since I was chatting with the owner about other stuff and had some things to finish at the office.

I came back on the 9th to look at the new Tudor releases that they had received, and finally tried on the Whale Shark. Loved it. Decided to think about it since it wasn't a planned purchase. Came back the following Tuesday (this week) and bought it.

Really liking it so far for exactly what I bought it for. If the weather holds up tomorrow I'll head out to the beach with it. The whale shark-skin dial is cool to see up close, but it isn't in your face. The 43.5mm case doesn't wear as big as I thought it would, and honestly for the times I'll be wearing this watch I don't particularly care if it's a little on the large side. I also like that some of the proceeds go to an environmental cause like other of Oris's LE watches.

X6CRgrN.jpg

AMedGKO.jpg

i9DfTrl.jpg
I really like and admire Oris. They know who they are, who their customer is, and consistently deliver value, IMO, at a "sweet spot" pricing point. Their bracelets are better than some reputable brands 2x their price, and they have done some interesting things on dial texture in the past. Seems like they did it again here. Land shark dial next?

ronscuba

Reaction score
This is not really true.

The best independent strap makers offer better leather and better construction—most OEM straps, including Patek’s, are machine-stitched. In fact, most of the top tier watch brands specify the lower or mid-grade options from the various strap makers as their OEM straps. Camille Fournet, for example, has been known to make straps for both Patek and FPJ (though I think both have also used Swiss sources). But if you want hand-sewn and the full selection of hides, you have to go directly to the strap maker.

I reuse the OEM buckle or deployant.
Cool. I just feel odd paying more than $200 for a strap. What kind of strap are you looking for ?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads