• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Terrible service, poor packaging, and serious quality control problems. I've tried before and I would never recommend.
I can only speak from my experience of two straps, but both turned out incredibly well. Sorry to hear about your experience

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Are you looking for something non-standard not already made? I am leery about paying big $ for custom straps. OEM have their prices because they are OEM with the OEM buckle/clasp. Not sure where the $ is going for some of these high cost non OEM straps.
This is not really true.

The best independent strap makers offer better leather and better construction—most OEM straps, including Patek’s, are machine-stitched. In fact, most of the top tier watch brands specify the lower or mid-grade options from the various strap makers as their OEM straps. Camille Fournet, for example, has been known to make straps for both Patek and FPJ (though I think both have also used Swiss sources). But if you want hand-sewn and the full selection of hides, you have to go directly to the strap maker.

I reuse the OEM buckle or deployant.

Last edited:
Reactions: RSS

pasadena man

Reaction score
Here's something a little different than what is usually posted here.

Went to AD on April 7 to put my name on a list for the new 36mm Explorer and look around. I'd had my eye out for a while for a new summer/weekend/beach watch. I randomly stumbled across the Oris Aquis Whale Shark Limited Edition and thought it looked really cool and ticked a lot of boxes for me. Well went I went to my AD, they had one in the display case. I glanced at it, but was in a bit of a hurry since I was chatting with the owner about other stuff and had some things to finish at the office.

I came back on the 9th to look at the new Tudor releases that they had received, and finally tried on the Whale Shark. Loved it. Decided to think about it since it wasn't a planned purchase. Came back the following Tuesday (this week) and bought it.

Really liking it so far for exactly what I bought it for. If the weather holds up tomorrow I'll head out to the beach with it. The whale shark-skin dial is cool to see up close, but it isn't in your face. The 43.5mm case doesn't wear as big as I thought it would, and honestly for the times I'll be wearing this watch I don't particularly care if it's a little on the large side. I also like that some of the proceeds go to an environmental cause like other of Oris's LE watches.

I really like and admire Oris. They know who they are, who their customer is, and consistently deliver value, IMO, at a "sweet spot" pricing point. Their bracelets are better than some reputable brands 2x their price, and they have done some interesting things on dial texture in the past. Seems like they did it again here. Land shark dial next?

ronscuba

Reaction score
This is not really true.

The best independent strap makers offer better leather and better construction—most OEM straps, including Patek’s, are machine-stitched. In fact, most of the top tier watch brands specify the lower or mid-grade options from the various strap makers as their OEM straps. Camille Fournet, for example, has been known to make straps for both Patek and FPJ (though I think both have also used Swiss sources). But if you want hand-sewn and the full selection of hides, you have to go directly to the strap maker.

I reuse the OEM buckle or deployant.
Cool. I just feel odd paying more than $200 for a strap. What kind of strap are you looking for ?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Cool. I just feel odd paying more than $200 for a strap. What kind of strap are you looking for ?
More like $400-500!

Olive alligator with square scales and off-white stitching.

• Love
Reactions: RSS

Bronze Age Sartorial

Reaction score
Not bespoke but Veblenist offers several customization options at reasonable prices.

ronscuba

Reaction score
More like $400-500!

Olive alligator with square scales and off-white stitching.
I have several straps/bracelet for my Speedmaster 57 and old Seiko. $50-$150 range I feel like I am getting adequate quality to value ratio. I don't have any urge to to change the strap on my other watches. Not sure why. Maybe it is because the Speedmaster and Seiko have a vintage vibe.

Do you plan to see the alligator hide and select the section used ?

Last edited:

DavidLane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Keith T thank you for the rec. I do make custom straps and can confirm the quality of OEM is sometimes great, and sometimes not so much.

Here is a very worn Patek strap a local doctor brought in and it has layers of non-leather inside. Some of which are likely stiffeners and padding as the alligator is very thin and has rolled edges.This one was literally hanging on by a thread.
E8586975-FD87-4360-A9AA-90AC8D1CBC4F.jpeg
92236491-5F77-4C52-B308-2EFC833D1092.jpeg

We don’t do rolled edges and can add padding, but tend to make two layer straps for the most part. All are hand stitched. Here is the replacement on the watch:
EFA5C1FB-1E82-43D1-AA4F-1C5663844B34.jpeg

F0E408D5-5CB4-4694-9245-503B1419D04E.jpeg

-DL

Last edited:

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@TheFoo Have you considered forum affiliate @Equus Leather ?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
@Keith T thank you for the rec. I do make custom straps and can confirm the quality of OEM is sometimes great, and sometimes not so much.

Here is a very worn Patek strap a local doctor brought in and I has layers of non-leather inside. Some of which are likely stiffeners and padding as the alligator is very thin and has rolled edges.This one was literally hanging on by a thread.
View attachment 1597417View attachment 1597416

We don’t do rolled edges and can add padding, but tend to make two layer straps for the most part. All are hand stitched. Here is the replacement on the watch:
View attachment 1597418
View attachment 1597421
-DL
Your olive gator looks awesome!!!

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Which actually reminds me I need to get back to them about a card case/wallet I'm having made...

ecerratic

Reaction score
Apologies as I’m generally just a lurker in this thread, but does anyone have experience with the Tudor BB36? I’m looking for a solid every day watch and even though the snowflake hands aren’t exactly my favorite, everything else is hitting the wants.

I‘m leaning towards that or a vintage Rolex like the 1501. I‘ve never been really moved by the Explorer until recently, but the 36mm is quite tempting even if it’s stretching the budget a bit.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really? I don't have a watch with Dauphine hands, but I quite like them. Certain stick hand watches do seem rather insipid to me, though. If going by the hand design, I feel like the first of the following three more accurately could be described as 'lacking vigour or interest' (the insipid definition). Do you prefer that first watch over the following two?

Of course "different strokes...", etc., and of course some watches do same-family hands much better than others, but yes I do not like dauphine hands. I often do not like the proportions, the crease, and how they resolve themselves at the center post.

But, I do not necessarily prefer that Piaget over the other two watches, even though it has stick hands, although I like alot of Piaget designs. Of those three watches specifically I perhaps actually like the IWC hand/dial integration the best, but I would not buy any of the three for myself. To me, bombé lugs on any watch, as on that IWC 89, are pretty hideous. IWC made many 89s with lance, stick, syringe hands, all of which I would prefer.

I really like leaf hands a lot (my general favorite); modified (ie belted) leafs; lots of syringe/bund, alpha, and lance hands; many batons/sticks; some Breguet; some swords; some spade; some plongeur. The only ones I really do not like are: dauphine, arrow, cathedral, Mercedes, and the ones GO use. Fortunately there are plenty of styles to keep us all happy. :colgate:

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can definitely see how some might prefer that Piaget, as I tried to find an actual good version of a stick hands watch (it didn't seem fair to offer up a Skagen or the like).
Do you like any of these, with batons?

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Favorite Shorts Length

• Above the knee

• Knee length

• Below the knee

• None of the above

• Mid-thigh ("short shorts")

Results are only viewable after voting.