• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

officine

Reaction score
To be specific I don't like cut-off numbers at all, but do not mind, in most cases, fully omitted numbers. That Lange is super.

The Omega is beautiful too, I used to have a similar one, but the cut 5 and 7 "bother" me a bit. The leaf hands are so elegant though I could almost overlook the cut numbers.
I see.

Are you against date windows as well?

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love Marine watches and recall when this Dornbluth was first produced, as a presumed "one-off" for a repeat client of theirs, before they made it a regular model. I thought the concept was so fine, love/respect all Dornbluths and their story. I liked every aspect of the design process drawings/evolution; the hands, the dial layout; the beautiful slightly-serifed D&S Arabic numerals (I really do not like open 4s, and will not buy a watch with them); the resolution of the calendar numbers is so perfect, etc.

But when this "99.5" was actually shown in the flesh for the first time one detail bothered me so much it would definitely be a deal-killer (especially because I do not have any idea why they did it, to this day)...and it is not the cut-off numbers.

Correct guesses will receive a free StyFo thumbs-up, as that's the extent of my watch budget these days.

web-995-1-ST.png

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Occlusion for me is a greater crime than omission. YMMV.

The one example that really used to get on my nerves (still does to this day) because I truly like the watch quite a bit otherwise: the IWC Portugieser Chronograph.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@venessian

guessing it's the inconsistent number orientation, they 'righted' the 20 n 30 but left the others oriented towards the center of the small dials

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I see.

Are you against date windows as well?
Not nearly as much. Some date windows are great, and to me are much more subjective as elements; it really depends on the watch.

I like my Damasko DA36 d/d window quite a lot, especially with the logo above it. It makes so much sense, forming that implied oval with the guards and crown, and the cross-hairs balance the dial fine. Plus, no cut-off or occluded numbers! :wink:
DA-36.jpg

That said the Damasko DS30 "Windup Edition", with the round date only at the 6, is superb as well, even better than Damasko's own original DS30 version with rectangular date window at 3 interrupting the horizontal crosshair, imo.

DAMASKO_DS30_BLK_STEEL_BLACKLEAD.jpg

Windup Damasko DS30

DS30_Schatten.jpg
Damasko original DS30

Many others' windows are fine. I adore the IWC Mark VII and XV (every Mark after the XV is a complete disaster afaI'mc) dial/date window for example.

Otoh, I have a 1958 Omega Seamaster my father gave me, so it is very special, but in my loving dream/memories of him he buys instead a no-date (if it existed at the time, but I think it must have?) dial. The date window is very bothersome on that watch, given the very fine scale (all sticks, very thin) of the rest of the markers and hands.

The Omega looks like this; I love the dial but the really window bugs me and always will:
s-l1600.jpg

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Excellent guess by double00.

I will take a secondary stab at it and surmise it's possibly the design / length of the tail on the seconds hand?

Nothing like a good nit-picking session LOL. Nearly every watch is "flawed" in some way after all.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Occlusion for me is a greater crime than omission. YMMV.

The one example that really used to get on my nerves (still does to this day) because I truly like the watch quite a bit otherwise: the IWC Portugieser Chronograph.
I'm completely with you there, at 6, 12, and a 100!
So beautiful but for those eyesores.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Excellent guess by double00.

I will take a secondary stab at it and surmise it's possibly the design / length of the tail on the seconds hand?

Nothing like a good nit-picking session LOL. Nearly every watch is "flawed" in some way after all.
Nope.
Both excellent guesses, but I think double00 and yourself are maybe micro-scoping a bit too much. Maybe zoom out just a little?

I'll be doing a quick PS mock-up while you think on it; I think it will be very obvious then. The hint word starts with a "b"....

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Yeah, and at the same time I'm sure there are plenty of proud owners that never give it a second thought. We all like what we like.

an draoi

Reaction score
Nope.
Both excellent guesses, but I think double00 and yourself are maybe micro-scoping a bit too much. Maybe zoom out just a little?

I'll be doing a quick PS mock-up while you think on it; I think it will be very obvious then. The hint word starts with a "b"....
Blue hands?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I hate occluded numerals. I’ve railed against them for years — in this very thread!

But if a numeral must be cut-off, it should look purposeful and the remaining part showing ought to be enough to imply the whole numeral.

Not to single-out Lange, but a couple of their watches immediately come to mind. On the standard 1815, you only see the very bottom of the ‘6’, which really could be any number or figure:

1618524540610.jpeg

Makes one wonder why they didn’t just slightly enlarge or lower the seconds sub-dial and eliminate the ‘6’ entirely.

Then on the 1815 Up and Down, the upper parts of the “5” and “7” are just barely nicked. Again, it brings into question why they sized and spaced the sub-dials as they did—with slight adjustment, both numerals could have been spared. What’s the point of a “one watch, one movement” philosophy if you don’t optimize dial layout at the time of movement design?

1618524693846.jpeg

In contrast, I think IWC’s Portuguese 5001 is handled perfectly:

1618525020987.jpeg

The movement had originally been designed for this model and it shows. The position and size of the sub-dials are ideal. No cut-off numerals!

But the most important consideration to me is overall balance. The below Patek 5270P has no cut-off numerals, but only numerals in the top third of the dial:

1618525259038.jpeg

From a dial layout perspective, I’d rather take either of the above 1815 models! Occluded numerals are a lesser evil versus overall imbalance.

On date windows: I generally prefer not to have them on a simple time-only watch, but when one is present I prefer it to feature in a purposeful way. For example, I like how it’s done on the Patek 5296 and the JLC Geophysic:

30966F4A-EE3B-4231-A3C2-2B7F3B048A97.jpeg

1618525798352.jpeg

It bothers me much more when makers try to hide or blend-in the date window, as if ashamed of it! If you’re going to have the function, make it easy to read and own it as a feature rather than treat it as a flaw or compromise.

The worst is when a numeral or marker is lost to the date window, yet there is no trim or frame to balance against the other side of the dial. Both the JLC and Patek deal with this problem nicely. And once again, balance proves to be the most important quality.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads