• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

officine

Reaction score
Not nearly as much. Some date windows are great, and to me are much more subjective as elements; it really depends on the watch.

I like my Damasko DA36 d/d window quite a lot, especially with the logo above it. It makes so much sense, forming that implied oval with the guards and crown, and the cross-hairs balance the dial fine. Plus, no cut-off or occluded numbers! :wink:
DA-36.jpg

That said the Damasko DS30 "Windup Edition", with the round date only at the 6, is superb as well, even better than Damasko's own original DS30 version with rectangular date window at 3 interrupting the horizontal crosshair, imo.

DAMASKO_DS30_BLK_STEEL_BLACKLEAD.jpg

Windup Damasko DS30

DS30_Schatten.jpg
Damasko original DS30

Many others' windows are fine. I adore the IWC Mark VII and XV (every Mark after the XV is a complete disaster afaI'mc) dial/date window for example.

Otoh, I have a 1958 Omega Seamaster my father gave me, so it is very special, but in my loving dream/memories of him he buys instead a no-date (if it existed at the time, but I think it must have?) dial. The date window is very bothersome on that watch, given the very fine scale (all sticks, very thin) of the rest of the markers and hands.

The Omega looks like this; I love the dial but the really window bugs me and always will:
s-l1600.jpg
The Damaskos look great. Their tool like nature makes asymmetry acceptable to me.

However, like you, the date on Seamaster 600 would bother me. Only because I view it as a dress watch, and for me dress watches, in addition to being worn on leather, need to be symmetrical when slicing them down the middle from the 12 to 6 hour markers/numbers. The 1825 u/d is symmetrical to my eye.

Contrast it with this JLC RDM that I owned and eventually sold :
18E5DAEE-FE48-4098-845D-BCD5B2B3F6BE.jpeg

Had the RDM gauge been circular in the same manner as the date indicator, the left and right sides would have been symmetrical (ignore the fact that they would likely have had to resize each of the RDM, Date and Seconds indicators to fit legibly on the dial). For a long time I couldn't figure out why the watch wasn't 100% satisfying to my eye, but when I realized it was the asymmetry I let it go. It bummed me out a bit because it was the perfect size at around 37.5mm.

With pieces like the DateJust or the Omega AquaTerra, most often worn on metal bracelets, the date window does not bother me because I view them as hybrid dress/sports watches.

Last edited:

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bezel too thick?

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ooops, time for me to leave now, fellas, before, well, you know.... :wink::confused2:

Anyway, here's the answer. Take as many free StyFo thumbs-ups as you want.

A) Original D.Dornblüth & Sohn 99.5, with the really bothersome (to my eye) part. It makes no sense at all, and is very awkward visually.
Dornbluth 99.5_01.png

B) Very crude quick PS, but...why could they not just balance the engraving of the two windows, expand the PR sub-dial track outward, move the "AUF" and "AB" in? :eh:
Dornbluth 99.5_02.png

Last edited:

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I usually dislike Genta's designs but he made this date window really work:

View attachment 1594132

In general I don't know why dates at 6 (and crowns at 12, for that matter) aren't more common, given that most watch designs are symmetry-driven.
I agree: that is a very nice date window, very "Genta-dynamic" in a good way.

I don't understand though what you mean by the "crowns at 12", on a wristwatch, with the issues of lugs, strap, and awkward motion to wind?

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't understand though what you mean by the "crowns at 12", on a wristwatch, with the issues of lugs, strap, and awkward motion to wind?

It has pros and cons in terms of ergonomics, but it certainly helps with symmetry. A few example in various categories:

1618527434980.png

1618527479816.png

1618527547630.png

1618527691982.png

Attachments

• 1618527650440.png
    1618527650440.png
    1 MB · Views: 26

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Damaskos look great. Their tool like nature makes asymmetry acceptable to me.

However, like you, the date on Seamaster 600 would bother me. Only because I view it as a dress watch, and for me dress watches, in addition to being worn on leather, need to be symmetrical when slicing them down the middle from the 12 to 6 hour markers/numbers.
The 1815 u/d is symmetrical to my eye.
Exactly.

And, since I can wear that Seamaster only for dress, the love/hate with the dial/date window is an issue.

montecristo#2

Reaction score
Ooops, time for me to leave now, fellas, before, well, you know.... :wink::confused2:

Anyway, here's the answer. Take as many free StyFo thumbs-ups as you want.

A) Original D.Dornblüth & Sohn 99.5, with the really bothersome (to my eye) part. It makes no sense at all, and is very awkward visually.
View attachment 1594134
B) Very crude quick PS, but...why could they not just balance the engraving of the two windows, expand the PR sub-dial track outward, move the "AUF" and "AB" in? :eh:
View attachment 1594135

this is hilarious, but I didn’t go for this one for the EXACT SAME reason. Ended up with a 99.1 instead.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It has pros and cons in terms of ergonomics, but it certainly helps with symmetry. A few example in various categories:

View attachment 1594151

View attachment 1594152

View attachment 1594153

View attachment 1594157
I see, thanks.

Are those not hard to wind, while being worn? Or more vulnerable to damage than even at 3? Perhaps not, and I suppose one winds off-wrist mainly anyway. I have never handled a crown at 12 wristwatch, but in a sense I guess I feel it might look a bit bland much of the time, maybe just too much symmetry, or I'm just used the crown at 3 and like the challenges it presents to designers.

Nickd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not nearly as much. Some date windows are great, and to me are much more subjective as elements; it really depends on the watch.

I like my Damasko DA36 d/d window quite a lot, especially with the logo above it. It makes so much sense, forming that implied oval with the guards and crown, and the cross-hairs balance the dial fine. Plus, no cut-off or occluded numbers! :wink:
DA-36.jpg

That said the Damasko DS30 "Windup Edition", with the round date only at the 6, is superb as well, even better than Damasko's own original DS30 version with rectangular date window at 3 interrupting the horizontal crosshair, imo.

DAMASKO_DS30_BLK_STEEL_BLACKLEAD.jpg

Windup Damasko DS30

DS30_Schatten.jpg
Damasko original DS30

Many others' windows are fine. I adore the IWC Mark VII and XV (every Mark after the XV is a complete disaster afaI'mc) dial/date window for example.

Otoh, I have a 1958 Omega Seamaster my father gave me, so it is very special, but in my loving dream/memories of him he buys instead a no-date (if it existed at the time, but I think it must have?) dial. The date window is very bothersome on that watch, given the very fine scale (all sticks, very thin) of the rest of the markers and hands.

The Omega looks like this; I love the dial but the really window bugs me and always will:
s-l1600.jpg
A similar era to yours, no date. The seconds sub dial may bother some people though.

0A678777-63E2-4E79-853A-D7334D5CDB2A.jpeg

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
this is hilarious, but I didn’t go for this one for the EXACT SAME reason. Ended up with a 99.1 instead.
That bizarre decision is seriously bizarre, completely irrational, and more mind-boggling if one followed the entire design 18-24 month process (plenty of time to correct) as it was unveiled slowly by Dornbluth and the owner. It is a really bad oversight imo, no question.

99.1 is sublime.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are those not hard to wind, while being worn? Or more vulnerable to damage than even at 3? Perhaps not, and I suppose one winds off-wrist mainly anyway. I have never handled a crown at 12 wristwatch, but in a sense I guess I feel it might look a bit bland much of the time, maybe just too much symmetry, or I'm just used the crown at 3 and like the challenges it presents to designers.

Tbh I just wish I knew more of the history of this, i.e. why the crown at 3 became the norm (maybe to differentiate early wristwatches from repurposed pocket watches?).

12 is now so uncommon that it hardly looks bland to me, though maybe you're right that it's a cheap solution symmetry-wise.

As a rough rule it seems to me that crowns at 12 and 3 can be made to work with any kind of watch, whereas a crown at 4 only works on sports models. I suppose 4 is the most practical and most asymmetrical location, so it just says "tool watch" (think Seiko divers).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads