• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question for the group - do occluded numbers bother you?

Someone posted the Lange 1815 the other day - and I have to say, an occluded number/numbers is enough for me to dismiss a watch outright.

View attachment 1593694

That said, how much occlusion can you live with? I think this newly-released Breitling is OK. Perhaps, because the numerals are still identifiable.

View attachment 1593696

This one, on the other hand, is perhaps a bridge too far to me...

View attachment 1593699

And, although there is no number occlusion on this one, the number omission is perhaps even more annoying?

View attachment 1593700
Absolutely 99.9% of the time, yes, occluded dials = deal-killer. I find they have a bad super-graphics feel, even at such small scale, most of the time.

The Lange 1815 (which I think is generally gorgeous) looks innocuous at a glance, but then seeing it on the wrist the chopped 6 ultimately is irritating and insulting more than anything. I always want the seconds hand to just kick the 6 entirely off the dial.

Chopped 2-4-8-10s are even more awkward on 2+ sub-dial watches. The 2 Breitlings are bad, and the PP is a complete disaster imo. By comparison I think that the G-P posted above your post is much more coherent and elegant, regarding the numbers/dials only (other aspects of the design bother me).

Removing color, finish, texture, etc., entirely, I know which dials I would choose, and which I would lose.

Dornbluth dials.png

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

George Red

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
curious, do you ever reach for the panda Daytona these days? If so, what is the rationale to pick that up rather than your preferred steel bezel one?
I literally never wear it. It sits on the winder all day. Truthfully, I've always lusted after the all-white 116520 Daytona. The other one is nice, but I just don't like it as much. Makes for cool pictures, though.

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

George Red

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@George Red does that JLC wear big?
I'll add to my previous answer. What makes it wear a little large is the lug-to-lug width of 49.2mm. It's a thin watch and the lugs are curved in such an ergonomic way that the watch does not appear large, but may if your wrist is on the smaller side. Does that make sense?

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Y'all need to cool it with all this two-watch collection talk :colgate:

More enabling, please.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(Out of what I have)

One watch:
Datejust 36

Two-watch collection:
14060 Submariner
1969 Omega DeVille (gold)

Three watches:
Add the two lists above

4 watches:
Add speedy pro to above

The two watch collection I’d like:
GMT 16710
DD 36 rose gold

On another note: Nomos is awesome. If it made sense for me to own one, I would.

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not a big fan of the Nomos design aesthetic in general, although I think they look much better in photographs than they do in person.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Favorite Shorts Length

• Above the knee

• Knee length

• Below the knee

• None of the above

• Mid-thigh ("short shorts")

Results are only viewable after voting.