• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Believe me from personal experience.....there is no allure or lore involved - it’s just a transaction. But the denial and delusions of grandeur are so real that most people here will argue against this point til no end. So let’s leave it at that.
I have no reason to doubt your experience. I'm not arguing one way or the other--just describing what I think the reasoning is.

Happy watch hunting!
And to you.

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The AD is a local family owned independent place, second generation current owner. My SA is the third generation (oldest grandson of founder). First question he asked is if I was local... Yep, and my office is a 5 minute walk from the shop. And I realized they go to the same church as I do, too, so maybe I'll pull that card next time I stop in.
definitely pull that card, ideally yesterday.

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got my Rolex from what many consider one of the most elite ADs in the world - Wempe in NYC.

Believe me from personal experience.....there is no allure or lore involved - it’s just a transaction. But the denial and delusions of grandeur are so real that most people here will argue against this point til no end. So let’s leave it at that.

Happy watch hunting!
the most elite AD in the world:) idk maybe but I guess I understand you point. I think it really depends on your personality and what your goals are. Wempe is definitely going to care less about the average joe that spends little money compared to the heavy hitters that have long-term relationships. Buy grey if that works better for you - you pay up and no BS.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sure, I believe you when you say there is no allure for you and it's just a transaction. But for others allure and professional customer service matters. Matters enough they don't mind spending a little more to deal with polite, professional, knowledgeable people.

You bought a Rolex. Did the salesperson know the difference between a Submariner, Sea-Dweller and GMT ? If I ask about a tourbillon or perpetual calendar watch and the salesperson says I don't know what those features are and nor do I care, but here is the price......I don't want to buy from that salesperson.
There is no allure because there really is no allure - not because I said so. I'm just relaying the news. I did not quiz the SA about their watch knowledge so I cannot relate to your approach. And you ain't gonna buy a tourbillon anytime soon.........or are you?

I know you are new to this hobby, but over time you will remove emotion from your actions and you will get the watch you want without getting all in your feelings about it.

In short, if an SA's lack of knowledge prevents you from getting your desired watch then I would agree with you about having enough product knowledge to make a difference to the buyer. But can you even find an example of this??

ronscuba

Reaction score
There is no allure because there really is no allure - not because I said so. I'm just relaying the news. I did not quiz the SA about their watch knowledge so I cannot relate to your approach. And you ain't gonna buy a tourbillon anytime soon.........or are you?

I know you are new to this hobby, but over time you will remove emotion from your actions and you will get the watch you want without getting all in your feelings about it.

In short, if an SA's lack of knowledge prevents you from getting your desired watch then I would agree with you about having enough product knowledge to make a difference to the buyer. But can you even find an example of this??
Relaying the news ? SMH.....so you are telling me how I should feel or how I am going to feel in the future ? And you know what I purchased in the past, recent and what I am going to buy in the future ?

I bought a grey market watch many years ago from a small dealer and saved some $. Making more money now, decided to pay more and buy from mfr. boutiques at full msrp.

When buying high cost items, I want to buy from a person who has a certain level of professionalism and knowledge. I am not saying all grey market salespeople are not knowledgeable. Guy I saw online ? Yes, perfect example of someone who I call unprofessional, because he publicly states he does not care to know basic information on products he sells. I would not buy from him.

Last edited:

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wempe is definitely going to care less about the average joe that spends little money compared to the heavy hitters that have long-term relationships.

it depends on what you mean about “care less”. I’ve bought from Wempe before in NYC. I’ve always had my questions answered thoughtfully and have found the sales associates to really know the brands. I’ve never experienced indifference the few times I’ve purchased there.

With that said, yes, of course, what I’ve spent pales in comparison to someone who probably spends well into the six figures annually given where they’re located. I’m not expecting the store to open early or to accommodate my schedule after hours, nor am I expecting a call stating that “we have some new pieces in and I’m holding a few aside for you.”

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Relaying the news ? SMH.....so you are telling me how I should feel or how I am going to feel in the future ? And you know what I purchased in the past, recent and what I am going to buy in the future ?

I bought a grey market watch many years ago from a small dealer and saved some $. Making more money now, decided to pay more and buy from mfr. boutiques at full msrp.

When buying high cost items, I want to buy from a person who has a certain level of professionalism and knowledge. I am not saying all grey market salespeople are not knowledgeable. Guy I saw online ? Yes, perfect example of someone who I call unprofessional, because he publicly states he does not care to know basic information on products he sells. I would not buy from him.

What happens when you have an AD employee who isn't knowledgeable? Will that deter you from buying? I have talked to numerous SAs at ADs who don't know anything about the watches they're selling. Not every SA is a watch expert or even interested in them.

I suspect that most people who are "into watches" already know as much or more than a majority of SAs due to online research

dan'l

Reaction score
In general, I agree that it shouldn‘t matter how knowledgable the sales associate is when purchasing a watch. After all, you should do your due diligence and know what you are buying.

With that said, I remember when I bought my first Rolex, a Sea-Dweller, back in 2005. It was my first „luxury“ watch purchase. The saleswoman was pretty nonchalant about it, since, well, it was just a basic Rolex. When I told my buddy about it the next day or so, he asked „did you get the anchor with it?“ (for those who don‘t know, Subs & SDs used to come with a small anchor trinket). Of course I didn‘t! I had forgotten about it. I called the shop back and they told me “oh, sorry, forgot to give it to you.“ I had to explain to her that I not only wanted the anchor, I wanted the matching one for my watch (the WR rating is embossed on it, so Subs & SDs have different anchors). She was able to find it and I went back to get it.

So yeah, if I had known everything that should come with the watch and was prepared with a checklist, it wouldn‘t matter how good the SA was. But in my case at least, it would have saved a lot of hassle if the SA had more knowledge in the first place.

Another point: boxes for Rolexes are shipped separately from the watches. The SA is responsible for matching watches to boxes. For example, if you buy a PM Rolex, you should get the biggest watch. I suppose most people could care less, but those of us who are pedantic enough would be irritated if they later discovered that their DD came with the smaller box meant for SS watches, just because the SA did not pay attention.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I told my buddy about it the next day or so, he asked „did you get the anchor with it?“ (for those who don‘t know, Subs & SDs used to come with a small anchor trinket). Of course I didn‘t! I had forgotten about it. I called the shop back and they told me “oh, sorry, forgot to give it to you.“
Completely unrelated but I suddenly find myself wondering how much an anchor fetches on eBay :p

edit: ok, that surprised me...

1614172903779.png

Last edited:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If part of the allure of buying from an AD is the entire experience, then for some it may enhance the experience (and thereby their enjoyment of it all) if the salesperson is conversant about the item beyond just the price. Not right or wrong, just different.

I think it really depends on the type of experience you are seeking. TBH, I've bought I think something like 18 Rolex watches over the years all from ADs. The people were nice enough, some knew more than others about the products. With the exception of a few SAs, most collectors will find if they have done enough research, they probably know more about the product than the SA. The experience was nice, however, the experience was rarely exceptional. Still, I was getting the watch I wanted so that was what really mattered to me.

Actual boutiques, tend to offer more of an upscale experience. Offering you champagne, sparkling water, sometimes or chocolates while you are looking and trying things on, and offering to move you to a more private location so you can be away from others who are crowding some of the showcases (although less of an issue since Covid and needing to make appointments). That is more of the experience one gets at Cartier, Van Cleef & Arpels, Bvlgari, and some other boutiques. Some dedicated watch boutiques offer a similar experience, others not so much.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've heard Breitling basically offers you a menu while you shop. They'll pull out a menu of sandwiches you can eat while trying on watches.

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it really depends on the type of experience you are seeking.
I think that's the crux of the whole thing. Some people just want to get in and get out with the watch, hand over the money, and be done with it. That's fine, it's just different than someone who, for whatever reason, wants an "experience". Even if someone doesn't need the SA to "educate" them on watches, maybe the buyer just wants to spend a little while lightheartedly shooting the **** with someone over a shared interest, even if the nature of their respective interests differ (i.e., the SA's primary interest may be money, whereas the buyer's might be the inner workings or design of the watch). Maybe some of it changes over time as one becomes more cynical about the process or it just becomes old hat to them.

Actual boutiques, tend to offer more of an upscale experience. Offering you champagne, sparkling water, sometimes or chocolates while you are looking and trying things on,
Sounds fun.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads