• Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear and fashion.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

dan'l

Reaction score
Even historically when the SD was 40mm. its additional thickness and cost over a Sub Date always resulted in a stronger demand for Subs (or GMTs), and that was when the price difference in the 90's was only $300 more. Demand for Subs has continued to be stronger than for modern SDs particularly as diameter and price increased significantly. The SD is a great watch, but not everyone can wear a 43mm watch and not everyone wants to spend what it costs for additional water resistance, since it probably won't see anything deeper than a swimming pool.
Yeah, agreed. I also like the fact that the SD (as well as the ND Sub) comes only one way. With the Sub Date, it comes in SS, two-tone & full gold, along with dial variations. The SD seems „purer,“ though I am sure many will disagree with me on that. With that said, I‘d totally rock a YG Sub if I could afford one!

I wish I had picked up a SD4000. It is a „transitional“ piece, I believe, since it had the 40mm maxi-case, ceramic bezel (with full minute markers) + matte dial. It was a handsome watch and they discontinued it after just a couple of years and then the current 43mm one came out.

dan'l

Reaction score
One thing I can say about Hodinkee is that they take great photos and you can really zoom in on then with minimal loss in resolution. So far I haven‘t come across photos on other sites with that level of zoom-ability (if that‘s even a word).

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm more interested in people's thought patterns on things. If I want to see pics of pretty independent brand watches, there are plenty of sources online for that. I'm most interested in people who collect with intention, who can explain with reason why they've gone after something (assuming its something other than just because they knew it was a cool piece to have), even if it's some more pedestrian pieces.
I find this much more interesting as well. I like the idea of a collection being more than just an accumulation of nice pieces. The thought process, wether it’s a certain watches provenance, history, elements of design or particular movements makes for better discussion. Wealthy celebs/athletes buying high dollar pieces based on hype, or worse, for show couldn’t be more boring.

pmeis

Reaction score
I find this much more interesting as well. I like the idea of a collection being more than just an accumulation of nice pieces. The thought process, wether it’s a certain watches provenance, history, elements of design or particular movements makes for better discussion. Wealthy celebs/athletes buying high dollar pieces based on hype, or worse, for show couldn’t be more boring.
It's certainly something I'm trying to do for myself now. After years of chasing after a lot of stuff, seemingly at random, I started seeing patterns in what I was drawn to. So as of last fall I committed myself to a direction and towards living with my decision for at least a full year before I will consider if this was the correct way to go.

ronscuba

Reaction score
I am new to watch buying/collecting.

I was perusing youtube researching sizes, models, etc.. Came across a guy who was talking about hot in demand watches. He had a guest on who was a watch broker. Watch guy brought up watch design, details and how it can affect demand. Broker guy says I don't know about that stuff nor do I care. All I care about is it can make me money trading. Such a turn off. Guy sounded like he was dealing drugs.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why not? I still need to know what time it is. I think covid is actually a reason to treat yourself to wearing things that make you happy.
I’m actually getting my first “nice” watch any day now.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am new to watch buying/collecting.

I was perusing youtube researching sizes, models, etc.. Came across a guy who was talking about hot in demand watches. He had a guest on who was a watch broker. Watch guy brought up watch design, details and how it can affect demand. Broker guy says I don't know about that stuff nor do I care. All I care about is it can make me money trading. Such a turn off. Guy sounded like he was dealing drugs.
Well the broker's pay is based on the spread of of the bid/ask. He's probably not a watch collector and just finds watches as his job and not some pursuit of a hobby.

ronscuba

Reaction score
Well the broker's pay is based on the spread of of the bid/ask. He's probably not a watch collector and just finds watches as his job and not some pursuit of a hobby.
True, but it would be nice and expected that a broker be familiar with the products they are selling/trading. I'd rather buy from a broker that knows what he is selling and at least pretend to be enthused/excited, vs. I don't know what that is nor do I care, you want it, this is the price.

BLAUGRANA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
True, but it would be nice and expected that a broker be familiar with the products they are selling/trading. I'd rather buy from a broker that knows what he is selling and at least pretend to be enthused/excited, vs. I don't know what that is nor do I care, you want it, this is the price.
My advice would be to make sure you do your own research. Someone you're working with might seem knowledgeable, but you'd be surprised at what some of them say about a piece.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
there's no feelings in business.......rule nombre uno.

it's funny how people hate on others for making a profit but they themselves would never reduce their own pay......

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, agreed. I also like the fact that the SD (as well as the ND Sub) comes only one way. With the Sub Date, it comes in SS, two-tone & full gold, along with dial variations. The SD seems „purer,“ though I am sure many will disagree with me on that. With that said, I‘d totally rock a YG Sub if I could afford one!

I wish I had picked up a SD4000. It is a „transitional“ piece, I believe, since it had the 40mm maxi-case, ceramic bezel (with full minute markers) + matte dial. It was a handsome watch and they discontinued it after just a couple of years and then the current 43mm one came out.
Yes, the 40mm SD 4000 was a transitional model. I remember it. A few guys here really liked it, and one bought it. I think again the substantially higher price than the Sub kept demand limited when it was new.

I think your argument about they SD, No Date Sub, (maybe even the Explorers) being pure sports watches as they were only ever offered in steel, is something some people would agree with. Although, more recently Rolex introduced a steel and gold SD. Also, makes me wonder what an Explorer II would look like in all gold.

The yellow gold Sub is a pretty bold piece, but I like it. My Dad had one for about 10 years, but traded it toward another watch.

I've met several people who start out in a job selling and working with very interesting and high end products. Sadly many have said after a while it's just a job. It seems like a rare few who truly love what they do and still have a passion for the products even after being in the industry for many years.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
this is a common attitude I’ve run across with many a stripper. $20 don’t get ya what it used to!

ronscuba

Reaction score
there's no feelings in business.......rule nombre uno.

it's funny how people hate on others for making a profit but they themselves would never reduce their own pay......
??? Nothing wrong with making a profit. I prefer to buy from someone that knows about the product they are selling.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Favorite knitwear under jackets/sport coats

• Crewneck sweater

• Turtleneck sweater

• Long-sleeve polo

• Vest

• I don't like knitwear worn with jackets/sport coats

Results are only viewable after voting.