The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger LeCoultre,

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mimo, Feb 12, 2016.

1. Neognosis

Neognosis Senior member

Digging flower beds on a Sunday calls for the bulletproof Seiko Monster... The GShock of automatics.

[​IMG]

2. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

A manly beater indeed. What are the boots? :)

3. Belligero

Belligero Senior member

A little watch swap today — Oysterquartz for Sub:

[​IMG]
    image credit: loevhagen

[​IMG]

The OQ served me well in Italy, and I even ended up randomly meeting a group of watch collectors at a little bar in Trieste while wearing it. Italians do indeed love their Rolex; one of those guys I got to sharing some wine with has no fewer than fifty of them. :eek: ("I don't fully trust the banks.")

Can't wait to visit again; aside from apparently being the per-capita stainless-Rolex world champ (I've never seen as many, not even in Singapore), it's an amazing city.

(Simone at La Montre is a really good guy who knows his stuff, by the way. Normally I don't holiday spend time in watch stores, but it's an excellent and friendly little shop, and well worth the visit. Not only did they have some awesome vintage pieces, but I also got to try the Lange Datograph Up/Down. :drool:)

[​IMG]

Venice is pretty sweet, too:
    [​IMG]

Other than that, Mrs. B and I just got back from a furniture-retrieval road trip to Denmark. We picked up the G-Wagen of prams en route as well — the fortress-like Simo Kombivogn in olive drab, for those who take interest in such things — as I'm joining the rapidly-growing-in-this-thread fatherhood club. It's been fun having absolutely minimal life responsibilities up to this point, but I'm very happy to move on to the next phase. :D

Last edited: Apr 18, 2016

4. culverwood

culverwood Senior member

Code:

Avoiding the tax man may also have something to do with it.

Lovely pictures BTW

5. Belligero

Belligero Senior member

^
    What's the first rule of Fight Club? ;)

6. DLJr

DLJr TWAT Master.

Congrats man! It's a great and exhausting club to be a part of, best of luck with everything!

7. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Dubiously Honored Moderator

8. no frills

no frills Senior member

Duuuuuuude @Belligero - congratulations!!!!!!!

9. BG 7

BG 7 Well-Known Member

Wow, great collection of watches on this thread! I've been an admirer from afar. Hoping to have the means to acquire some of the pieces here down the road. Until then, I'm wearing the Citizen Moonphase Flyback. Definitely not in the league of what I've seen here, though.

[​IMG]

10. Neognosis

Neognosis Senior member

Those are Red Wing Beckman's.

I hate them. I hate them with a passion, and that is why they are being used in the dirt.

Which sucks, because I really, really like the way they look, they just are very uncomfortable for me, and the leather attracts salt stains like a magnet all winter.

11. tigerpac

tigerpac Senior member

^take a look at White's boots. Very comfortable once you get accustomed to their arch system.

12. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

@Belligero that is outstanding news! Delighted for you.

Also, might finally be a good time to turn steel into Kroner if that suits...things looking up here too! [​IMG]

13. Grammaton Cleric

Grammaton Cleric Senior member

There appears to be a lot of (often unnecessary) debate on watch forums on what constitutes good finishing. In my opinion, it's often a misunderstood topic.

Take a look at the movement below - one respected watch nerd contends that it's very well finished, and worthy of acclaim. Another bigwig in the watch world has termed it 'mediocre'. I have my own (strong) opinion on the matter, but given the polarizing views, curious to see what the WISs at SF think:

[​IMG]

14. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

I believe we are about to discuss the difference between "decorative" and "good". I wouldn't dare say that the picture above is bad, but I think it is more in the decorative category than exceptional in empirical quality.

I am prepared to be pwned mercilessly in the interest of greater knowledge.

15. BLAUGRANA

BLAUGRANA Senior member

Could we perhaps, with spoiler tags if necessary, get the watch/movement in question here?

I'm so little versed on movements I'd go so far as to say not at all. Still I think this could go down the road @mimo suggests. I can't tell if it's a good movement whatsoever. However if the debate is about the finishing alone, I would tend to lean towards the bigwig's end. Granted we don't see the entire movement, but from what I've seen in terms of finished movements I'd say it doesn't look like some of the finished movements I've seen in pictures. I mean I'm guessing that's no Lange. Again though, this is just about the finishing. Whether or not it's a reliable movement or a "good" movement otherwise could be a different story and I wouldn't begin to comment on that.