• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Neognosis

Reaction score
Digging flower beds on a Sunday calls for the bulletproof Seiko Monster... The GShock of automatics.

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A little watch swap today — Oysterquartz for Sub:

image.jpg

image credit: loevhagen

image.jpg

The OQ served me well in Italy, and I even ended up randomly meeting a group of watch collectors at a little bar in Trieste while wearing it. Italians do indeed love their Rolex; one of those guys I got to sharing some wine with has no fewer than fifty of them. :eek: ("I don't fully trust the banks.")

Can't wait to visit again; aside from apparently being the per-capita stainless-Rolex world champ (I've never seen as many, not even in Singapore), it's an amazing city.

(Simone at La Montre is a really good guy who knows his stuff, by the way. Normally I don't holiday spend time in watch stores, but it's an excellent and friendly little shop, and well worth the visit. Not only did they have some awesome vintage pieces, but I also got to try the Lange Datograph Up/Down. :drool:)

13062112_10154158473485820_6008536316210174619_n.jpg

Venice is pretty sweet, too:
13015354_10154158473135820_6019209435198511128_n.jpg

Other than that, Mrs. B and I just got back from a furniture-retrieval road trip to Denmark. We picked up the G-Wagen of prams en route as well — the fortress-like Simo Kombivogn in olive drab, for those who take interest in such things — as I'm joining the rapidly-growing-in-this-thread fatherhood club. It's been fun having absolutely minimal life responsibilities up to this point, but I'm very happy to move on to the next phase. :D

Last edited:

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Code:
one of those guys I got to sharing some wine with has no fewer than fifty of them. eek.gif("I don't fully trust the banks.")

Avoiding the tax man may also have something to do with it.

Lovely pictures BTW

Last edited:

DLJr

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
as I'm joining the rapidly-growing-in-this-thread fatherhood club. It's been fun having absolutely minimal life responsibilities up to this point, but I'm very happy to move on to the next phase.
biggrin.gif
Congrats man! It's a great and exhausting club to be a part of, best of luck with everything!

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Other than that, Mrs. B and I just got back from a furniture-retrieval road trip to Denmark. We picked up the G-Wagen of prams en route as well — the fortress-like Simo Kombivogn in olive drab, for those who take interest in such things — as I'm joining the rapidly-growing-in-this-thread fatherhood club. It's been fun having absolutely minimal life responsibilities up to this point, but I'm very happy to move on to the next phase.
biggrin.gif

Duuuuuuude @Belligero - congratulations!!!!!!!

BG 7

Reaction score
Wow, great collection of watches on this thread! I've been an admirer from afar. Hoping to have the means to acquire some of the pieces here down the road. Until then, I'm wearing the Citizen Moonphase Flyback. Definitely not in the league of what I've seen here, though.

Neognosis

Reaction score
A manly beater indeed. What are the boots? :)
Those are Red Wing Beckman's.

I hate them. I hate them with a passion, and that is why they are being used in the dirt.

Which sucks, because I really, really like the way they look, they just are very uncomfortable for me, and the leather attracts salt stains like a magnet all winter.

tigerpac

Reaction score
^take a look at White's boots. Very comfortable once you get accustomed to their arch system.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
@Belligero that is outstanding news! Delighted for you.

Also, might finally be a good time to turn steel into Kroner if that suits...things looking up here too!
wink.gif

Grammaton Cleric

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There appears to be a lot of (often unnecessary) debate on watch forums on what constitutes good finishing. In my opinion, it's often a misunderstood topic.

Take a look at the movement below - one respected watch nerd contends that it's very well finished, and worthy of acclaim. Another bigwig in the watch world has termed it 'mediocre'. I have my own (strong) opinion on the matter, but given the polarizing views, curious to see what the WISs at SF think:

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
I believe we are about to discuss the difference between "decorative" and "good". I wouldn't dare say that the picture above is bad, but I think it is more in the decorative category than exceptional in empirical quality.

I am prepared to be pwned mercilessly in the interest of greater knowledge.

BLAUGRANA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There appears to be a lot of (often unnecessary) debate on watch forums on what constitutes good finishing. In my opinion, it's often a misunderstood topic.

Take a look at the movement below - one respected watch nerd contends that it's very well finished, and worthy of acclaim. Another bigwig in the watch world has termed it 'mediocre'. I have my own (strong) opinion on the matter, but given the polarizing views, curious to see what the WISs at SF think:

Could we perhaps, with spoiler tags if necessary, get the watch/movement in question here?

I believe we are about to discuss the difference between "decorative" and "good". I wouldn't dare say that the picture above is bad, but I think it is more in the decorative category than exceptional in empirical quality.

I am prepared to be pwned mercilessly in the interest of greater knowledge.

I'm so little versed on movements I'd go so far as to say not at all. Still I think this could go down the road @mimo suggests. I can't tell if it's a good movement whatsoever. However if the debate is about the finishing alone, I would tend to lean towards the bigwig's end. Granted we don't see the entire movement, but from what I've seen in terms of finished movements I'd say it doesn't look like some of the finished movements I've seen in pictures. I mean I'm guessing that's no Lange. Again though, this is just about the finishing. Whether or not it's a reliable movement or a "good" movement otherwise could be a different story and I wouldn't begin to comment on that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads