• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

firenze_rob

Reaction score
Too bad. GS is pretty dope but doesn't get much play here. For those in NYC, the GS showroom is neat and worth the visit.

OzWino

Reaction score
Thanks @firenze_rob - appreciate your learned opinion. Being a noob, with little access to actually seeing items in real life, it sounds like my chances of being taken for a ride are pretty high.

JezeC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
whats a good value price point for leather straps? Any brands you would recommend as well?

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My favorite thread on this forvm; I'm so happy to see that it's still steaming ahead.

I'm contemplating getting a diver. I have a personal connection with swimming, the ocean, and marine life, and have been SCUBA certified some twenty years ago. I don't dive much anymore, so am drawn to wearing a diver (currently wearing a speedy, casually) primarily for the look. I'd like something iconic and classic. Of course, the Sub comes to mind, but I'm not really a Rolex guy, though that is slowly changing with the amount of love being shown to Rolex in this thread and its predecessor. If a Rolex, either Sub, no-date Sub, or Sea Dweller. The other watch I had in mind was the Blancpain Fifty Fathoms. A great watch in its own right, but honestly, I can't decide in my own mind if it is the best looking diver or if it is the best looking non-Rolex diver, if that makes sense.

I find myself trying to convince myself about the Blancpain whereas with the Rolex, it just seems so perfect. And if Rolex, other thoughts creep into my mind, like a BLNR, which looks to me identical to the Sub but with the added draw of the bezel color and GMT functionality. Anyway, thoughts on these watches, alternatives, or "becoming a Rolex guy" welcome.

LIMatt

Reaction score

whats a good value price point for leather straps? Any brands you would recommend as well?

For standard cowhide, you can get a Hadley-Roma or a Hirsch for around $50. Shell will be around $100; try Panatime or Worn & Wound. Lizard skins will cost the most.

alford78

Reaction score

My favorite thread on this forvm; I'm so happy to see that it's still steaming ahead.

I'm contemplating getting a diver. I have a personal connection with swimming, the ocean, and marine life, and have been SCUBA certified some twenty years ago. I don't dive much anymore, so am drawn to wearing a diver (currently wearing a speedy, casually) primarily for the look. I'd like something iconic and classic. Of course, the Sub comes to mind, but I'm not really a Rolex guy, though that is slowly changing with the amount of love being shown to Rolex in this thread and its predecessor. If a Rolex, either Sub, no-date Sub, or Sea Dweller. The other watch I had in mind was the Blancpain Fifty Fathoms. A great watch in its own right, but honestly, I can't decide in my own mind if it is the best looking diver or if it is the best looking non-Rolex diver, if that makes sense.

I find myself trying to convince myself about the Blancpain whereas with the Rolex, it just seems so perfect. And if Rolex, other thoughts creep into my mind, like a BLNR, which looks to me identical to the Sub but with the added draw of the bezel color and GMT functionality. Anyway, thoughts on these watches, alternatives, or "becoming a Rolex guy" welcome.

I'm a watch and shoe guy and never go by brand loyalty. With that being said I do favor Rolex and all the other big names (PP, VC, Panerai, AP in some cases, JLC, etc...). And then I also like all the small manufactures with good reps like ALS, F P Journe, Sarpaneva, and all the other independents that are up and coming. Go with what speaks to you if you don't want to get a non date Sub whether it's Rolex or a ventage Tudor. I'd start by looking at the VC Overseas, JLC, Blancpain etc... They all will perform excellently.

Good luck and happy huntings. That is one of the best parts after all.

alford78

Reaction score

For standard cowhide, you can get a Hadley-Roma or a Hirsch for around $50. Shell will be around $100; try Panatime or Worn & Wound. Lizard skins will cost the most.

Agreed and there are many small independent strap makers. A Google search will lead to many sites. I may have a few in my notes section of phone and will update if do.

I prefer matte gator and can get them from anywhere between $100-400 for really really nice straps that will last a long time. Gator with a insert for the punched holes will last even longer if not using a deployant buckle.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks @firenze_rob - appreciate your learned opinion. Being a noob, with little access to actually seeing items in real life, it sounds like my chances of being taken for a ride are pretty high.

I think that if you have a look around various watch fora and do some reading, you'll end up with a pretty good idea of what a good vintage Carrera or Autavia should look like.

Sites like "On The Dash" and "Calibre 11" are really great resources for Heuer enthusiasts.

The problem is, as Firenze Rob said, that prices for Autavias, some Carreras and some other vintage Heuer models have shot up over the past decade. A good, vintage Heuer now easily commands 4-5 times more than it did a decade or so ago. Of course, that's not unusual - we've seen the same thing with vintage Omegas such as the Ploprof and the Seamaster 300 - but it does make it more expensive to dip your toe in the water. Combine that with the dismal state of the Australian dollar and you're facing an uphill struggle to pick up anything decent!

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

@Renault78law I'm definitely a Rolex guy, so I'm biased with this advice. But I can tell you that I've never heard anyone regret buying a classic Rolex dive watch. In many ways the Submariner is kind of perfect. And if you buy used, then you have the opportunity to flip it easily and fairly if you ever want to change or upgrade.

Steel28

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Get BLNR, it's freaking incredible.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm contemplating getting a diver...... Of course, the Sub comes to mind, but I'm not really a Rolex guy, though that is slowly changing with the amount of love being shown to Rolex in this thread and its predecessor. If a Rolex, either Sub, no-date Sub, or Sea Dweller. The other watch I had in mind was the Blancpain Fifty Fathoms. A great watch in its own right, but honestly, I can't decide in my own mind if it is the best looking diver or if it is the best looking non-Rolex diver, if that makes sense.

I have owned many Rolex watches, and looked at or own watches from several other brands. I currently own a Sub Date and a GMT2 BLNR. The Sub is a classic diving watch. It can handle whatever you can dish out and the movement is tough and reliable. To me there are lots of diving watches on the market, but the Sub is one of the most best combinations of good looks and ruggedness. Its everything one could want from a dive watch, and nothing that you don't need. To me its the quintessential diving watch, one that has been copied and imitated, but never equaled.

I've looked at the BP 50 Fathoms in Titanium. Its got great history, and is about as old as the Sub's design. It's a very nice watch and their movements are beautifully made, and more finely finished than what you will find in a Rolex. However, when I consider what the BP costs, and what it looks like, I just don't love it enough to pull the trigger one one. Personally, I find the Sub more attractive but that's purely subjective.

BP makes a high quality watch, but I find most of their offerings boring and unattractive...the 50 Fathoms is the only one that doesn't bore me, but I'm just not drawn to owning one... I've tried it on more than once, but its just not for me. My local ADs were always trying to work a good deal to get me into one, but that was largely because it was a brand that at least in my region they can't give away. In addition, they don't maintain the same level of resale value that a Sub does.

As for my BLNR, I wanted a Rolex with the new ceramic bezel. I think the Sub Date and Sub no-date are both great watches. Their main advantage if you are tough on watches is the bracelets have a totally brushed finish which hides finger prints and scratches better than the polished center links of the GMT. Still, I already have a prior generation Sub and for me having a watch with a 2nd timezone is a bit more useful to me than the greater water resistance of the Sub. So for some diversity and to add some color to my collection I chose a BLNR and I'm really happy with it.

Wishing you luck with whatever you decide. Do some more research and in part one of this thread there are many posts about Submariners.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads